PDA

View Full Version : bilstein shocks and hr sport springs

RKMA86
02-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi guys.....just wondering...I was planning on buying used bilstein shocks and used h and r springs. I was wondering how long these would last? How many kms have u guys driven on these and were there any problems? Any common issues with these? How soon will these break or leak?

maroli
02-18-2009, 10:59 PM
depends on condition. but 60k, I'd say.

TNation
02-18-2009, 11:34 PM
i sold my old H & R springs on my old Lude and they were in great shape and would've lasted a long while.

RKMA86
02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
sorry what i mean to ask is...how many kilometres will these last? I've heard people on bimmerforums going over 100k with bilsteins and H&R's and some people saying they get shot after like 50k...so I just wanted peoples experiences on this...especially here in toronto with all the salt/snow we get...

dbworld4k
02-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Depends on your driving. My dad's stock shocks are good after 90k. Mine were gone by 50. It's all in your driving... that said, I wouldn't buy used Billy Sports if they had more than like 20-30k miles on them.

RKMA86
02-19-2009, 11:43 PM
any more feedback?>

chromius
02-20-2009, 10:12 AM
I had 70,000km on my Bilstein sports and H&R sport springs with my e30 before I sold it, and they were still in excellent shape and still very tight. As far as I know the current owner is still on them too.

the bachelor
02-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Springs last a long time and make sure they look to be in good shape and not all rusted before buying them. I would not risk buying used shocks since the savings does not equal the time and money to replace them and they will have no warranty. Shocks can sometimes be funny and can blow any time with our shitty roads. Buy new and you will have lifetime warranty. I had a shock blow with less than 15k and it was replaced no charge. You are taking a chance on used shocks.

325vert
02-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi guys.....just wondering...I was planning on buying used bilstein shocks and used h and r springs. I was wondering how long these would last? How many kms have u guys driven on these and were there any problems? Any common issues with these? How soon will these break or leak?

Iím glad to see this post as Iím going through the same thing on the same product? I guess the 1st question is are these products any good or should we be looking at something else. The 2nd question is - if weíre looking to replace the whole system what should we be looking to do Ė my understanding is that the real benefit comes from lowering the center of gravity, thereby improving handling. Iím not sure by how much and if this will impact the carís comfortable ride or cause rubbing? Iím also curious to know if Iíd be better off with standard replacements but purchasing cross bars. Iíd love to hear from the group on this.

Lastly, I currently have 200k/13 yrs on my original shocks and the front right just started to leak. New shocks would obviously be better, but the originals still perform ok, no bouncing etc. That said they are overdue for replacement, especially the front right. If your car is a daily driver I canít see you replacing shocks any sooner that 100 - 150k, unless you hit something really hard. As for springs, some products come with a 1mill mile warranty. I donít think the issue is whether they have 20k or 60k on them, but rather general condition, where they came from or why the person is giving them up.