PDA

View Full Version : Buying Tires

Dysantic
02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey guys,

I got a question for all those tire and border crossing experts. I'm in the market for some new summer tires because the ones on my summer rims right now are practically bald and one has a hole in it. What I was wondering was the best way to get new, cheap summers. From everything I have seen so far, tirerack.com has some of the best prices. What I was wondering was if anyone knows of any other website or even store in the general GTA area that has new summer tires for a good price. I'm looking for some 235/40/17's and since they are a pretty rare size most places don't carry them.

I was also thinking that I could maybe order them from tirerack or some other US based website or even store and just drive down to Buffalo and get them put on and then come back over. For example, put on the summer rims with the crappy tires, buy new ones from tirerack, get them shipped somewhere in Buffalo (problem #1: I don't have anywhere to have them shipped) and then just drive down to Buffalo one day and pick them up. I could go to a local shop and get them to pull off the crappy summers and put on the new ones and then just drive back over the border without having to claim anything or pay any kind of duty because they would never really now if they were like that when I entered.

Has anyone ever done this or anything like it? I'm pretty much open to most scenarios as long as it results with me not paying a hell of alot of money for some new summer tires and I'm not breaking (many) laws. lol

Any help or suggestions would be great.

King Luis
02-18-2009, 05:12 PM
just a quick point, currently tirerack does not have a good price considering the exchange rate right now.

ImolaZHP
02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
if you choose to go this route you can get it shipped to "USAddress"
just over the border. cheap rates.

http://www.usaddressinc.com

Dysantic
02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
just a quick point, currently tirerack does not have a good price considering the exchange rate right now.

Very good point, I completely forgot that their prices are shown in USD on the website. But either way, 4 brand new summer tires for 413.69 CAD (excluding taxes and shipping) is pretty darn good isn't it? Either way, I'm just looking for pretty much any suggestions to ways I can get cheap summers in that size. Thanks for pointing that out though, it does change things a little

if you choose to go this route you can get it shipped to "USAddress"
just over the border. cheap rates.

http://www.usaddressinc.com

I do remember hearing about services like this. I didn't know they actually had a website though. Have you ever used this place? Are they pretty trustworthy?

ImolaZHP
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
I do remember hearing about services like this. I didn't know they actually had a website though. Have you ever used this place? Are they pretty trustworthy?

personally, not yet.

but everytime i hear about someone doing this (not just tires) USAddress is always mentioned.

never heard anything negative about their services.

marek
02-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Try tires 23 in Mississauga. I'm getting a set of Falken's in the same size for $560 all in (taxes and installation incl.)

ericdalinda
02-18-2009, 08:24 PM
had a complete sound system shipped to usadress inc. last year.... amazing place..

2 MASSIVE boxes. subs, sub box, amp, wiring all that jazz....

cost me like 15 bucks for their service... in and out in 10 minutes flat.

i highly recommend them. the tough part is finding a place to dump the packaging. (no0 dumping laws)

plus its down the street from smoking joe's and the biggest highschool youll ever see.

TNation
02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
had a complete sound system shipped to usadress inc. last year.... amazing place..

2 MASSIVE boxes. subs, sub box, amp, wiring all that jazz....

cost me like 15 bucks for their service... in and out in 10 minutes flat.

i highly recommend them. the tough part is finding a place to dump the packaging. (no0 dumping laws)

plus its down the street from smoking joe's and the biggest highschool youll ever see.

So do you declare your goods when you go over the border??

Arash
02-19-2009, 12:37 AM
this is where I get mine all the time:
http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

you can also try wheels direct in Markham.

ericdalinda
02-19-2009, 12:52 AM
So do you declare your goods when you go over the border??

nooo wayy...

just remove them from packaging...

Dado 540
02-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Check my sig!

e30bim
02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
I use US Address Inc. as well to ship my car parts and tires I buy. If you don't have an account each box you send is $5. Stop being a pussy and buy the tires from tirerack, I don't even know why its a thought. Get them put on locally at a tire shop for $15 bucks a tire and drive home. At the border just say you had lunch at the mall and you went look at TV's at best buy to compare prices and they didn't have anything. That's what I always say. Canadian border control 90% of the time just ask where you live and wave you through, they dont give a rats ass.

tominizer
02-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Remember to check the dates stamped on the tire. Make sure you are actually getting new tires.

TNation
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I use US Address Inc. as well to ship my car parts and tires I buy. If you don't have an account each box you send is $5. Stop being a pussy and buy the tires from tirerack, I don't even know why its a thought. Get them put on locally at a tire shop for $15 bucks a tire and drive home. At the border just say you had lunch at the mall and you went look at TV's at best buy to compare prices and they didn't have anything. That's what I always say. Canadian border control 90% of the time just ask where you live and wave you through, they dont give a rats ass.

my sister is looking for tires haha great advice for her! Is it just $5 to hold for tires? Do they let you know when the tires have arrived?

Dysantic
02-19-2009, 02:00 PM

Yeah, I'm planning to actually do this near the end of April or so, so I probably won't be ordering the tires right this second. How long do they hold the tires and how much is it for them to hold them at us address? Or is it just a flat 5 bucks and they will hold them for a month or something?

I'm also going to check out Tires 23 and Wheels Direct. Maybe I can get it done locally for a similar price to driving across the border. Better to check all the options since I have a few months until I actually plan to do it.

Thanks guys, keep any suggestions coming!

Dado 540
02-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Remember to check the dates stamped on the tire. Make sure you are actually getting new tires.

+++++++ Very important. There was a video posted here once about this issue. Try searching it on you tube. Good Point

njansenv
02-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Tires23 was cheaper than any online US retailer for my snow tires. This was after I factored in exchange rate and gas to travel down there. I would have claimed the tires at the border, so that would have made them even more money.
Fast service (once I got a hold of them: they were crazy busy) and the bonus of buying local = win.

Nathan

tig
02-19-2009, 08:33 PM
i have been looking for summer tires too, tirerack was cheaper when the dollar was at par. now it ends up being more expensive if you plan on shipping them to your home. take a look at tiretrends.com, and 1010tires.com both canadian and have prices that works out to cheaper than tirerack for most tires. honestly i have gotten stuff shipped to the border and gone and picked it up a few times before, and every single time i go i end up spending more money then i would have just having it shipping here once u factor in gas, food, buffalo shopping lol, and time is money too

EstorilM3
02-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Interesting conversation.

I just got a set of 4 tires from Tire Rack; Yokohama AVID Touring-S 195/60R15's for the Ford Focus.
Placed an order on Sunday afternoon, got them yesterday (Wednesday) at 11am.
Cost me CDN$353 less than buying locally - including shipping, PST, GST (collected by Tire Rack), brokerage fees, and the dollar exchange.

If you have a day or so to spare, you might even drive to South Bend, Indiana where Tire Rack is located - they face Interstate 90 (eastbound); can't miss them!
Pay in US dollars, and save on shipping, and other charges.

Still highly recommend, you declare them at the border; not worth a criminal record for rest of your life when you do get caught. With a criminal record, you can't travel to US any more. Don't ever underestimate the border people; they're not idiots.

tig
02-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Interesting conversation.

I just got a set of 4 tires from Tire Rack; Yokohama AVID Touring-S 195/60R15's for the Ford Focus.
Placed an order on Sunday afternoon, got them yesterday (Wednesday) at 11am.
Cost me CDN$353 less than buying locally - including shipping, PST, GST (collected by Tire Rack), brokerage fees, and the dollar exchange.

If you have a day or so to spare, you might even drive to South Bend, Indiana where Tire Rack is located - they face Interstate 90 (eastbound); can't miss them!
Pay in US dollars, and save on shipping, and other charges.

Still highly recommend, you declare them at the border; not worth a criminal record for rest of your life when you do get caught. With a criminal record, you can't travel to US any more. Don't ever underestimate the border people; they're not idiots.

i really dont see how you would get caught when the tires are already on the car they cant prove anything, even if they do i dont think its a criminal record unless you are bringing something illegal or are a repeat offender. I have had it happen before to a friend they just made him pay the tax that all. and to be honest the US border guys are really tight but comming into canada especially if u have a canadian citizenship they dont do shit. i crossed the border back into canada with an m3 front and rear bumper in the back of my car all the guy asked me for are they oem? i said no, he asked me for a recipt i gave him a fake recipt that i had ddm write up for me saying i payed $40 each for the bumpers and thats what i payed tax on ended up being like $30. Its not what they think its what they can prove.

Arash
02-20-2009, 12:09 AM
i really dont see how you would get caught when the tires are already on the car they cant prove anything, even if they do i dont think its a criminal record unless you are bringing something illegal or are a repeat offender. I have had it happen before to a friend they just made him pay the tax that all. and to be honest the US border guys are really tight but comming into canada especially if u have a canadian citizenship they dont do shit. i crossed the border back into canada with an m3 front and rear bumper in the back of my car all the guy asked me for are they oem? i said no, he asked me for a recipt i gave him a fake recipt that i had ddm write up for me saying i payed $40 each for the bumpers and thats what i payed tax on ended up being like $30. Its not what they think its what they can prove.

they're way more strict now though. and if you get caught they apparantly flag your name there so every time you try to cross they give you hard time. its not worth it, just pay the tax. I've even heard of people getting caught with tires installed or racing seats installed, but really depends on your luck.

Dysantic
02-20-2009, 01:12 AM
I've never really heard of anyone getting caught for anything. Normally they just ask what you were doing there and thats it. How will they know if the tires werent like that when you initially came into the states? Unless they go back on some surveilance video's or something they don't really have a case. I could have gotten them installed the day before and wanted to test them out by going on a road trip for all they know. It's still just an idea. I'm gonna look at all my options and so far there have been some great suggestions and discussion to help my decision.

EstorilM3
02-20-2009, 08:22 AM

If they suspect ANYthing, they will ask you for a copy of the invoice from the Canadian retailer. If you cannot produce one, you're caught!

You don't have to present the invoice at the border, but you do have to show it a few days later to Canada Customs local office.

Years back (may still be true today, I'm not sure) one was encouraged to fill out a form for your electronic goods such as cameras (a piece of paper which Customs Canada signs and stamps and you get to keep) before you leave Canada. Upon return, you show them this paper so that they don't slap duty on the goods.

EstorilM3
02-20-2009, 08:32 AM
"...I've never really heard of anyone getting caught..."

I have.
He bought tires at Dunn's Tire in Buffalo(this was several years ago), had them mounted and tried driving across the border.
Got caught, and now has a criminal record.
Irony is, he's part owner of a well known car dealership.

Dysantic
02-21-2009, 07:36 PM
"...I've never really heard of anyone getting caught..."

I have.
He bought tires at Dunn's Tire in Buffalo(this was several years ago), had them mounted and tried driving across the border.
Got caught, and now has a criminal record.
Irony is, he's part owner of a well known car dealership.

See, but I have gone over the boarder WEARING things I have bought at the malls such as jackets, shirts and even shoes before and they have said nothing. One time I was clearly wearing like 4 layers of new shirts I bought and when they asked if I had anything to declare and I had none there were no questions asked. I'd be willing to take that chance considering the money that could be saved if I do it properly.

Trouble65
02-22-2009, 07:05 AM
they're way more strict now though. and if you get caught they apparantly flag your name there so every time you try to cross they give you hard time. its not worth it, just pay the tax. I've even heard of people getting caught with tires installed or racing seats installed, but really depends on your luck.

Very true, they check 1 out of every 25 cars unless they are having a blitz then it's 1 out of 10. If they see new tires on your vehicle, they will charge you for taxes plus extra fine for lying to them. This also gives them a good reason to rip your car apart and not to mention they will red flag you.

Trouble65
02-22-2009, 07:08 AM
I don't understand why you don't support your local business. If you mention a local tire shop that you can get tires chepaer somewhere else they will match them. Keep in mind to add to the price of tires duties, fuel and your time. Most companies do not make profit on tires they make profit on the install.

98Dinan3
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey guys, just thought I'd post a little relevant info... My mother works for Canada Customs, and it was me that originally posted about US Address. My family has been using their services for years now, and we've never had any issues. They have been really good with the hundreds of packages we've received through them.

As far as declaring tires goes... I would NOT attempt to cross the border with new tires without declaring them. From what I've been told by Customs workers (and friends of my mom) is that THAT is one of the first things they check out on cars. Apparently it is so common in the spring, that something like 5% of the cars crossing the border are trying to avoid fees on tires and/or rims. They just laugh, and proceed to rape all comers. It's up to you to prove you didn't buy them in the US. Also, you guys realize that there are multiple photos taken of your car when you cross the border right? A quick comparison and you're finished.

All in all, it's really not worth it. You're already saving the brokerage fees by bringing it across the border yourself, just be happy with that and go on your way. You really don't want to be the guy they catch and make an example of...

automadness
02-22-2009, 09:03 PM
ya my cousin got tires for his car put on and he just drove back in no questions asked

njansenv
02-23-2009, 06:14 AM
I sped once, and got away with it. I'm not about to go on internet boards telling everyone that "you won't get caught speeding, so drive as fast as you want".

Seriously, look into local sellers: you might be surprised. If not, then consider legally buying the tires. It's not like the duty is that high.

ericdalinda
02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Why is everyone so scared!!!!!!!!!

i went down to pick my system up at USAdress inc.

full system box subs amp deck wiring(IN BOX) BRAND NEW STUFF..

took them out of the packaging and placed them in plain site in my trunk...

at the border i was pulled over to the side to do a search of my car.

trunk popped right up the officer clearly saw Subs amps box deck wiring.

his exact quote

"your good,enjoy your weekend"

i gladly replied.

"thank you,sir"

im pretty sure a system is more noticeable then brand new tires.
*rockout*

njansenv
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm not scared, I just know better than to tell someone on a public forum to do something that is illegal.
Frankly, it wouldn't be worth the risk of being flagged (I cross the border a lot), let alone the other hassles.

maroli
02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Why is everyone so scared!!!!!!!!!

i went down to pick my system up at USAdress inc.

full system box subs amp deck wiring(IN BOX) BRAND NEW STUFF..

took them out of the packaging and placed them in plain site in my trunk...

at the border i was pulled over to the side to do a search of my car.

trunk popped right up the officer clearly saw Subs amps box deck wiring.

his exact quote

"your good,enjoy your weekend"

i gladly replied.

"thank you,sir"

im pretty sure a system is more noticeable then brand new tires.
*rockout*

Its not about being scared, its a cost-benefit tradeoff. How much is paying 8 percent tax on an item going to affect you versus potentially being fined heavily.

e30bim
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
my sister is looking for tires haha great advice for her! Is it just $5 to hold for tires? Do they let you know when the tires have arrived?

Tirerack will give you a tracking number. You'll have a good idea when they'll show up and then you call the lady at USaddress and just ask if a package arrived for you and she'll check and get right back to you.