PDA

View Full Version : Winter salt

MVPIRES
02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
What is the best way to get salt of your mats and carpet? The hard (white)dry stuff.

slemmer
02-17-2009, 01:57 PM
repeated washing with hot soapy water.

zackman17
02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
i would remove the mats spray them with a carpet cleaning solution. if you have a pressure washer on hand wash them it should come out. if not go to a diy car wash but you have to wet the mats before hand so the salt softens or you wont get it out. as for the salt on the carpet saturate it with a carpet cleaner and lightly rub it put some hot water on it. "have a wet/dry vac on hand to get rid of the water.

biginstreets
02-18-2009, 11:50 AM
i dont mean to hijack your thread but i have a question about salt also...

is washing my car everyday through a touchless car wash a good idea to help keep salt from sitting? or would that do more harm than good?

Axxe
02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Everyday? Where is your money tree located?

biginstreets
02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
no money tree, petro canada has a season pass for car washes, 1 wash a day for 90 days for like 150 bucks or so.

MVPIRES
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
So,I can do it myself and don't have to get the car detailed. It just seem like it's "baked" on there. The good thing is it's only the drivers side-Thanks for all the tips!!!

TOGWT
02-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Removing Road Salt

Use a stiff brush to dislodge any loose road salt and then remove with a vacuum, spray the area with a carpet cleaner and let it soak in, the salt stains are highly alkaline once mixed with water, so I'd reach for an acidic product to counteract/neutralize. You might find that rinsing with a solution of vinegar /water helps. Repeat until most of the stain has been lifted.

Finally clean carpets by spraying the area with a carpet shampoo rinse and then remove with a carpet extractor. Using the vacuum, remove the excess moisture, loose dirt and the grime, allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use, and then apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard) Be aware that once you add water to salt it becomes corrosive, so take care to dry the affected area thoroughly after the salt has been removed.

T.Dot_E30
02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
no money tree, petro canada has a season pass for car washes, 1 wash a day for 90 days for like 150 bucks or so.

Most Petro Canada's aren't touchless....atleast in my area.

Wes_R
02-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Removing Road Salt

Use a stiff brush to dislodge any loose road salt and then remove with a vacuum, spray the area with a carpet cleaner and let it soak in, the salt stains are highly alkaline once mixed with water, so I'd reach for an acidic product to counteract/neutralize. You might find that rinsing with a solution of vinegar /water helps. Repeat until most of the stain has been lifted.

Finally clean carpets by spraying the area with a carpet shampoo rinse and then remove with a carpet extractor. Using the vacuum, remove the excess moisture, loose dirt and the grime, allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use, and then apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard) Be aware that once you add water to salt it becomes corrosive, so take care to dry the affected area thoroughly after the salt has been removed.

TOGWT when are you gonna write that detailing book already I have cash in hand for the first and second editions.

I want them autographed to please.

King Luis
02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Removing Road Salt

now that is one hell of a first post.
welcome and thanks for the info.