PDA

View Full Version : 86 325e Auto Troubleshooting

BMW325BMW
02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

As the title states I am trying to troubleshoot 2 minor problems I am having with my car. So if there are any e30 guru's out there who can help, I would gladly take the advice.

1) On a cold start up, the idle bounces between 500-900 rpm and if i give it too much gas before the idle settles it will stall. Cold start injector?

2) When accelerating the engine hesitates. As if I am taking my foot slightly off the gas and than reapplying throughout the acceleration. For example when I accelerate, the rpms will go to 1000 than drop to 975, up to 1100 than drop to 1075 and so on and so on while I accelerate. It has no problems maintaining the rpm and speed when I stop accelerating. I have no idea what this is as I have never encountered anything like this. If anyone is willing to help but needs further clarification I took some video of the tach gauge on the drive home tonight that I could send to someone.

Please help. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

SamE30e
02-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Check for vacuum leaks.

richie_s999
02-17-2009, 02:47 AM
I can't concentrate long enough to read what your cars problem is cause of those stupid power whatevers!!!!! Kill them all please!!!!

Oh ya Idle Control Valve or Vacum leak

Wannabe
02-17-2009, 10:18 AM
I can't concentrate long enough to read what your cars problem is cause of those stupid power whatevers!!!!! Kill them all please!!!!

Oh ya Idle Control Valve or Vacum leak

the funny thing is, I did the same thing. gave up.

InfiniteDice
02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Bad Idle: Check/clean ICV and AFM. for possible air leaks take an old hose or straw and put it to your ear, this will help pinpoint any hissing (air leak). Fix/replace associated rubber. Good rule is any rubber that is hard to squeeze - replace.

The hesitation is most likely the O2 sensor, try unplugging that connection is 2 or 3 prong plug on passenger side not far from the exhaust manifolds.

BMW325BMW
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Bad Idle: Check/clean ICV and AFM. for possible air leaks take an old hose or straw and put it to your ear, this will help pinpoint any hissing (air leak). Fix/replace associated rubber. Good rule is any rubber that is hard to squeeze - replace.

The hesitation is most likely the O2 sensor, try unplugging that connection is 2 or 3 prong plug on passenger side not far from the exhaust manifolds.

ICV is good. That is the first thing I checked. The idle issue is only on that first start up of the day after resting for the night. I just got back from lunch and it idled beautifully.

As for the O2 sensor and the rubber parts I will check that tonight.

Thanks for the help.