PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Neutral to Drive

Alexpopfan
02-13-2009, 09:43 PM
When driving an automatic car, is it safe to shift from Neutral to Drive (while the car is moving)?

Ive heard both yes and no and came here for proffesional advice, thanx!

-alex

Dado 540
02-14-2009, 07:33 PM
You will not get a professional advice here. Some will say yes and some no. Call Toronto Automatic Transmission or Mississauga Automatic Transmission and ask the "professionals" who rebuild them. Most of the dealers outsource to them

Trouble65
02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
When driving an automatic car, is it safe to shift from Neutral to Drive (while the car is moving)?

Ive heard both yes and no and came here for proffesional advice, thanx!

-alex

You won't damage the transmission, however you will shorten the life of the unit.

AMG_POWER
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
i'd say its safe, done it zillion times and nothing broke so far.

Fel
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I've done it before, but I'm not sure what impact it would have on the mechanical system...

It is safe though... Let's say you are driving and the engine stalls. You can put the car in neutral, start the engine, and put it back into drive without any problems.

BmW1819
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
that's 100% right faster wear on the inside of the tranny your putting weight of the car on the friction materials
You won't damage the transmission, however you will shorten the life of the unit.

MiroE36
02-19-2009, 12:31 PM
If your pedal is to the metal when you shift from neutral to drive then you will likely do some damage, if you shift without using the accelerator, it's perfectly fine, each gear shift occurs in that fasion... hence an "automatic" when you shift from neutral to drive the cluch is "automatically" engaged and disengaged as required