PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery, Yellow Top VS Red Top?

spoony_prelude
02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to be buying a new battery for the vert. I'm going to be getting a Optima. Now I'm trying to figure out the diff between the yellow top and the red top. And honestly I can't tell the diff. They say the yellow one is meant for cars with after market audio systems. And then the red on is a deep cycle that last twice as lond as a regular batt... can someone explain the diff between these two?

Thanks

Jay

hellrot_M3
02-12-2009, 04:04 PM
i dont know the difference but i have had the yellow for about a year now and it is awesome. bought it at costco for about $180. in his previous car, my bro had the yellow for 3 years and he loved it also. hopefully this helps

derek

Trouble65
02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
. And then the red on is a deep cycle that last twice as lond as a regular batt... can someone explain the diff between these two?

Thanks

Jay

A deep-cycle lead-acid battery is designed to deliver a consistent voltage as the battery discharges. In contrast, starter batteries (e.g. most automotive batteries) are designed to deliver sporadic current spikes. Battery-driven vehicles, such as golf carts, forklifts and floor sweepers commonly use deep-cycle batteries. While a deep-cycle battery can be used as a starting battery (and may work better than a traditional starting battery with the myriad of electronic components attached to most modern vehicles), the lower "cranking amps" imply that an over-sized battery may need to be used in an older vehicle that lacks fuel injection. Deep cycle batteries can be charged with a lower current than regular batteries.

The key structural difference between deep cycle batteries and cranking batteries are the lead plates, which are solid in deep-cycle batteries and composed of porous sponge-like plates in starting batteries. Some batteries that are labelled "deep-cycle" do not possess these solid lead plates, however, and are actually "hybrid" batteries. While a deep-cycle battery is designed to discharge down to as much as 20% of its charge capacity over several cycles, companies recommend that a hybrid battery not be discharged beyond 50% of its capacity

NOTORIOUS VR
02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I've heard that since Interstate has bought out Optima they're not as good anymore...

Axxe
02-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I've heard that just using the cheapest costco battery that fits your car is the best option. Oh wait, that's what I do, and I never worry about all that fancy battery business. If it holds it's charge for a weekend that's all I care.

e30blue
02-12-2009, 09:44 PM
what battery do you guys suggest for an 89' 325i? I'm gonna need a new one come spring time

2002guy
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
the optima batteries you buy at costco are not made my interstate... they are made by kirkland... the have the rights to but the optima name on the batteries.... you can only get real optimas from authorized interstate dealers

spoony_prelude
02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
^^^Really, Rick do you know of any Optima dealers?

Thanks Man.

Jay

richie_s999
02-17-2009, 03:56 AM
^^^Really, Rick do you know of any Optima dealers?

Thanks Man.

Jay

Any Walmart has Optima Batteries.

Trouble65
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Any Walmart has Optima Batteries.

Walmart does carry them. Kind of expensive. Look at the manufacturing date on the battery.

spoony_prelude
02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
^^Thanks Guys! Yeah I'll defenatly be checking the manufacturing date on the batt! I was hoping to get it at costco as I heard they were cheaper!

Jay

ChrisTO
02-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Sam's club carries them as well. Way cheaper than buying them at Walmart. I think it was 40% cheaper at Sam's. Even if u don't have a membership paying the 10% extra is still worth it.