PDA

View Full Version : m30 into an e30! Help

///Mmm
02-09-2009, 07:18 PM
ok guys this is my situation now, i have an e30 318is and an e28 535i manual.

Now i want to take the engine and transmission from the e28 and put it in the e30, would i need parts from other cars to complete the swap.

Also can anyone recommend a shop in the Montreal area that can do this swap for me.

Both cars are manual right now.

craz azn
02-09-2009, 07:33 PM
BimmerShop should be able to do it assuming you don't care too much about appearance.

///Mmm
02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Would i still need other parts from other cars to complete the swap, or i can use the existing parts from the e30 and the e28 ?

Edit: Both cars are complete!

craz azn
02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
You would need custom motor mounts, but you should have majority of the parts.

Actually, I just remembered, shoot a PM to 'Striker.' Raph is super knowledgeable on this subject, and is probably closer to you than any shop in the GTA. Ya, sorry for recommending Bimmershop. Talk to Raph instead. I believe he runs under the name 'Turboready' as well, at least thats what his forum was named back then...

///Mmm
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
alrighttt...ill try contacting 'Turboready".

Thx craz azn for the help.

If all goes well, the E30 M30 project should start this week .

I will post pics later.

propr'one
02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
abustaif (i think that's the right spelling) is the name of the (a?) guy who had it done here in t.o. He's knowledgable aswell, might be able to help you out.

ACS_DAN
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I believe you'll need an e34/e32 specific Oilpan/pickup. Also if you have a b35 and you use JoeFunk mounts of r3v he has claimed that you can use a 325i/is driveshaft.

Other than that you should have everything you need.

///Mmm
02-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I read somewhere that you can use a front shaft from the e28 535 manual and the rear shaft of a 318i. Is that true?

Iam planning to make custom mounts since i know somoene who can do it and it would be cheaper.

Eurostyle
02-10-2009, 12:16 AM
BimmerShop should be able to do it assuming you don't care too much about appearance.

Would you like to elaborate...Do they put the engine upside down or something!!??

///Mmm
02-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Would you like to elaborate...Do they put the engine upside down or something!!??

Iam also curious to know, cause if they actually do good work, then its very close to where i live, only 30 min drive!

Eurostyle
02-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Its a bit of a drive, but you can also check with Bimmersport...they did Abustaif's car, and thats a clean one! *wave*

ACS_DAN
02-10-2009, 12:35 AM
I read somewhere that you can use a front shaft from the e28 535 manual and the rear shaft of a 318i. Is that true?

Iam planning to make custom mounts since i know somoene who can do it and it would be cheaper.

What driveshaft you use is Dependant on how the motor is mounted. If you want to use that set-up, you must use a similar mount set up.

That is the tricky part about the swap, because there is no BMW OEM mounts that will work with this swap like the 24v swaps you have to play around with the mounts.

Other than that, if you're using a b35 you can use a 325i/is wiring harness and I believe it's two wires you have to extend and go from there. You can also use the b35 harness if you like.

To be honest, I wouldn't play with the mounts People have done the guess work for you so you won't have to deal with figuring out drive shaft combinations. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to get a custom one made... not cheap. Well for me anyways =p.

What year is your e28? There were many variations of the m30.

craz azn
02-10-2009, 12:45 AM

Haha. You soo funnaayy.

No. I don't think cleanliness would be their first objective in terms of their work. I've seen some of their racecars in person and wondered :confused:. They are cool guys, I've talked to them many of times when I was younger, but IMO, they don't care too much about how it looks, rather more of how it goes. On par with an older Motronix swap I would say *shiner*. Bimmersport on the other hand goes above and beyond with making a swap look great and from the factory. I'd rather go there, but the OP is kinda far from Toronto, wouldn't you agree?

Eurostyle
02-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Haha. You soo funnaayy.

No. I don't think cleanliness would be their first objective in terms of their work. I've seen some of their racecars in person and wondered :confused:. They are cool guys, I've talked to them many of times when I was younger, but IMO, they don't care too much about how it looks, rather more of how it goes. On par with an older Motronix swap I would say *shiner*. Bimmersport on the other hand goes above and beyond with making a swap look great and from the factory. I'd rather go there, but the OP is kinda far from Toronto, wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, a bit far like i mentioned before...but;
Trailer rental: $75
Gas: $200
Nice M30 swap: priceless!!!!:D

///Mmm
02-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Usually a swap like this would take how much time in an experienced shop?

talltorontoguy
02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
I did the swap last year on my vert. M30B35 5 speed.

Mount the engine in position III, as far back as you can. I used the front 1/2 of 325eta driveshaft and back 1/2 of regular 325i driveshaft. E34 harness. I think I used an E36 shifter rod. You'll need custom motor mount brackets (I used replicas of e30.de version bought from england) and urethane E30 mounts, recommend urethane tranny mounts as well. Exhaust manifold and downpipes are a pain so be careful what you get - I used E34 but had to heavily modify to fit (there are few varieties). If you have an M30 from an E28 you will need an E34 oil pan and pickup in order to clear the rack. M30 ECU. Yes it fits in the glovebox despite what they say.

Rod

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111290