PDA

View Full Version : White car rust specs all over?

BMW BMXer
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
I washed my car today and noticed I have little rust dots all over the car... At first I thought my car was rusting but then I noticed it was on the bumpers as well.

I am guessing these are just contaminants in the paint? Will this come of with a clay bar/polish/wax in the summer?

Marky_mark
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM
^^ yes the rust specs will come off with a clay bar and polish/ wax its a common thing to see on a car that's driven all year round

Eurostyle
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Was your car in a shop (or body shop) lately??? This can happen if someone used a grinder near, sending small parts of metal that get lodged in the paint, and rust over time.

BMW BMXer
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
No not for a very long time.

Gamite
02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm convinced these come from your exhaust. I get them only on the rear of the car. and yes, clay bar will take it out. But the generic stuff from canadian tire isn't very strong, so you'll have to rub a lot to get them all out.

All cars get these, but it's only noticeable on white.

Wes_R
02-10-2009, 02:23 AM
It could also be rail dust. New white cars generally have those rusty looking spots, like cars coming off the train transport in Concord.

Aggressive clay like Red Clay Magic helps and just polishing your car will remove those spots. Like Menzerna Super Intensive Polish with a Lake Country Orange Pad or for something more aggressive Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool, followed by Menzerna PO106FF on a Lake Country White Pad. Via rotary or Porter Cable will get those spots out and give your car a great polish job.

Bullet Ride
02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
They appear all over the lower half of the 530 as well. Its from industrial fallout. If you live near or drive by industrial areas (which I do daily) there are metal particals floating in the air and on the ground and when you drive around these areas the metal bits get on your car and turn into these little orange dots. Hot brake dust from your car as well as other cars is also a cause of the dots. The only way to effectively get rid of them is by claying your car.

BMW BMXer
02-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Ok cool, I bought a meguairs clay kit last summer and never used it, so I will try it on my hatch when warmer weather rolls around.. if I can't get them out I will get a detail done.

thanks guys.

Scratch white out as my next car paint color though.

skru_fase
02-10-2009, 10:42 PM
i always thought it was from brake dust.... i never seemed to get those spots at the front of the car, but behind the wheels, and on the lower section of the car....

Future_///M3
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
What colour is good if not white ?

Carbon Black, Jerez Black, hard to keep clean and shine.

Alpine white different.

BMW BMXer
02-11-2009, 08:06 AM
I have had black it sucked.

I had good times with dark blue though.

TOGWT
03-01-2009, 08:44 AM
For more information see article "Paint Decontamination" in the detailing school section of Detailing Bliss forum...

STYLEZ24
03-01-2009, 10:04 AM
brake dust, exhaust, any fine shards of steel.

noodles101
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
its hot brake dust.
r u metal to metal rite now? check ur brake pads

Deep 3.2TL
03-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Quite common with cars that have come off of transport as well. little bits of brake dust from the transport truck embed themselves. Doesn't take much to get them off. My brother in laws dealership gets it all the time for all the cars they buy. They have some sort of special cleaner to take it off - not sure what it's called...

TOGWT
03-03-2009, 05:15 AM
Auto International’s Paint Neutralization System is a three step neutralization and wash system formulated to remove industrial fallout, rail dust, hard water deposits, acid rain residue and other forms of pollutants.