PDA

View Full Version : Engine cut-out on highway.

InfiniteDice
02-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Still had power, pulled off the highway, checked fuses... gave the fusebox a rap. Tapped the relays, checked battery voltage. Etc.

After 3 or 4 minutes, It started up and off I went.

My first plan is to swap out the main relay and fuel pump relay, and see what happens. The strange thing is this only happens once every month or so.

I'm scouring the Electrical diagrams I have for a probable cause. My other car did that once it turned out to be the fusible link in the trunk, was so corroded causing an intermittent issue.

Any further ideas guys would be really nice. Thanks.

P.S. One time the engine shut off... then restarted after one or so second(s).... just wanted to add that in there

everlast
02-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Add main coil wire and main ground cable to your list , but your list is pretty accurate so far.

iignite
02-09-2009, 02:23 PM
do a wiggle test, by wiggling and tapping wires when the car is running, does it happen over bumps?

sounds like your car has her period

InfiniteDice
02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Could be on bumps, but once it was coming down a hill, and the other time was pulling away from a light while turning left.

LAST NIGHT: Swapped out the Alternator - was putting out 13.4 and had a bit of bearing noise. Changed Main and Fuel Pump relays. Changed out the AFM.

Thing Runs really nice now, wow what an improvement! Just seems more alive and everything electrical has more juice. Putting out 14+V now.

NEXT I'm going to cut back the covering on the fusible link in the trunk to check it, I've had one go before and it's something that's easy to do.

I'll also do that wiggle test on the coil wire. Thanks for that suggestion. The ground wires appear to be tight and corrosion free, so I'll let that one off the hook for now.