PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used car on saturday's

noid
02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Ok so i will be purchasing my next vehicle tomorrow around 4-5pm which means that the mto office will be closed already... so can i drive the car with my own plates and register it when they open or do i have to wait Monday before i can even drive it?

98Dinan3
02-06-2009, 07:13 PM
can't drive it until it's registered...

Trouble65
02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok so i will be purchasing my next vehicle tomorrow around 4-5pm which means that the mto office will be closed already... so can i drive the car with my own plates and register it when they open or do i have to wait Monday before i can even drive it?

You can drive it with your plates. However don't get caught it's illegal. You need a trip permit. Go to your local CAA office they are open until noon. You also have to call your insurance company and let them know you are buying a new car.

noid
02-06-2009, 07:25 PM
caa provides the 10 day trip permit?

propr'one
02-06-2009, 08:32 PM
the MTO at sq1 is open till 6 afaik.

Manimillion
02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't buy a car without going to the MTO to make sure that there are no liens on the vehicle.

Mikeee46coup
02-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't buy a car without going to the MTO to make sure that there are no liens on the vehicle.

^Good advice!

Trekz
02-07-2009, 12:55 AM
actually you can drive it with you're plates as long as the car is insured, and it does not need plates to be insured just the vin. I drove my car for like 3-4 weeks with out registering and i got pulled over, and the cop didn't say anything about plates and said he could give me a ticket for no proof of insurance(because i didnt get a slip for it yet) But he called insurance company to ask them if the car was insured and it was so it was all good. Then he said im only legally allowed to drive the car unregistered with my other plates (off a different car) for only like 3 days.

Eurostyle
02-07-2009, 01:51 AM
can't drive it until it's registered...

Uhhh...no!:rolleyes:

Eurostyle
02-07-2009, 01:55 AM
The car must have insurance, depending on insurance company some will automaticly cover your for 7 days with your old policy number. The car ownership must say FIT...if not, you cant even get a 10 day permit, unless you get a safety first...

JUS_CRZN
02-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Good info, I did not know you could drive a car unregistered.

328i Cab
02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Good info, I did not know you could drive a car unregistered.

Unless it's changed, you have 6 days to put it in your name (supposed to do the transfer by then). You can drive on your plates as long as the sticker is valid and you have insurance coverage on the new car.

As stated above, the ownership must be 'FIT'. If you just put it in your name without an ownership and it is 'UNFIT', you can not legally drive it on the road until it is safetied and ownership states 'FIT'.

BSL
02-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Unless it's changed, you have 6 days to put it in your name (supposed to do the transfer by then). You can drive on your plates as long as the sticker is valid and you have insurance coverage on the new car.

As stated above, the ownership must be 'FIT'. If you just put it in your name without an ownership and it is 'UNFIT', you can not legally drive it on the road until it is safetied and ownership states 'FIT'.

^^This is correct.
Very few people seem to actually know the rules, and the MTO people wont offer this information.

10 day permits are now a thing of the past.
You can get a temporary permit in the form of a plate sticker that says 'T'.
To get the temp. sticker, you must purchase, (or provide), valid plates, insurance AND a safety certificate along with a current Etest.

So, the only legal way to drive a newly purchased car that you need to safety, is to NOT change the ownership, providing the car was previously on the road in FIT condition.
And this only gives you 6 days.

YAY ONTARIO!!!
Another supposed 'loophole' closed, and another hand in your pocket.

Junaid
02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
thats good to know, my insurance automatically covers my new car for 6 days.

T.Dot_E30
02-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I was wondering why i saw a car with the sticker T on the license plate.

Eurostyle
02-09-2009, 01:07 AM
^^This is correct.
Very few people seem to actually know the rules, and the MTO people wont offer this information.

10 day permits are now a thing of the past.
You can get a temporary permit in the form of a plate sticker that says 'T'.
To get the temp. sticker, you must purchase, (or provide), valid plates, insurance AND a safety certificate along with a current Etest.

So, the only legal way to drive a newly purchased car that you need to safety, is to NOT change the ownership, providing the car was previously on the road in FIT condition.
And this only gives you 6 days.

YAY ONTARIO!!!
Another supposed 'loophole' closed, and another hand in your pocket.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but i THINK you still dont need the etest before you can get your T sticker. They only care about the safety...

PS, now that i think about it, i'm sure you dont need it, because i got a Temp sticker on my E36 when they firtst came out last year...and i only had safety...The etest was the only thing i was missing to get the full plate.

lvan
02-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Even if it was insured and plated still on a old car , I would not drive it. Cops in my area always run the plates. It will be very abvious if you got benz but it shows VW or BMW. Another ticket for nothing. Not worth the time and hassle to fight it.

NOTORIOUS VR
02-09-2009, 10:29 AM
With a bill of sale from the person you bought it from it shouldn't be much of a problem. That way you can prove to the cop that you are within the 6 day period.

Fel
02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Just went through this nonsense a few weeks ago...

I wasn't aware that the got rid of the 10-day permit thing, what the hell is that about? I had one this summer, and went in to get one and they said it was phased out 6 months ago. Looks like I got my last one in the nick of time...

BSL
02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but i THINK you still dont need the etest before you can get your T sticker. They only care about the safety...

PS, now that i think about it, i'm sure you dont need it, because i got a Temp sticker on my E36 when they firtst came out last year...and i only had safety...The etest was the only thing i was missing to get the full plate.

Thanx for the correction.

Funny how I said the MTO dont offer the information freely... cuz they are the ones who told me that a Etest was needed :rolleyes: *shiner*

TNation
02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
so once I buy a new car, I have 6 days to register it, and I can drive with my old plates for 6 days?

Junaid
02-09-2009, 04:41 PM

you just need to pay taxes to get a Temp, i got it for my audi without anything other than used buyers package and money for taxes and such

NOTORIOUS VR
02-09-2009, 04:48 PM
As far as I understood it, the new temp plates (ie. plates with the "T" sticker) are just like the only 10 days. Just now it's a plate (which you keep after registering the car properly with a valid etest along with a safety).

So as long as it's FIT, and you're transferring it from someone where it's already FIT you are be able to get a new temp plate to go do your etest.

Here is a link that explains it all:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/temp.shtml

Or you can just use your existing plates and get everything done in 6 days and not pay anything for a trip/temp plate.

Eurostyle
02-14-2009, 02:12 AM
you just need to pay taxes to get a Temp, i got it for my audi without anything other than used buyers package and money for taxes and such

It doesnt make sens, because if you pay taxes, and transfer it to your name and dont have Safety or Etest, the ownership will say UNFIT...and there is NO way you can drive that! At that point you cant get ANY 10day plate or sticker, or even use old plates...I hate these grey areas!!!

TNation
02-14-2009, 02:57 PM
It doesnt make sens, because if you pay taxes, and transfer it to your name and dont have Safety or Etest, the ownership will say UNFIT...and there is NO way you can drive that! At that point you cant get ANY 10day plate or sticker, or even use old plates...I hate these grey areas!!!

wrong. I didn't need an e-test or certification to get a T sticker.

Eurostyle
02-14-2009, 09:14 PM
wrong. I didn't need an e-test or certification to get a T sticker.

In this case the ownership will say Temp, right? And not "Unfit" like in a normal transfer without safety/etest...

BSL
02-15-2009, 12:23 AM

The new systen does just seem to be more hoops to jump thru, and a royal PITA.... But you can see why they are doing it.

With the old system, any old POS car that hasnt been on the road for 10yrs could be given a 10 day permit as long as it was insured.

Picture this, and think about how safe would you feel-- Some Billy is driving a 1979 5.0L mustang on the DVP, he swerves in front of you, trying to test the limits of his newly purchased 'sports' car... Meanwhile your kids are pointing and laughing at the trail of gasoline its spilling behind it, and the sparks flying off the dragging exhaust...

Eurostyle
02-15-2009, 01:17 AM
The new systen does just seem to be more hoops to jump thru, and a royal PITA.... But you can see why they are doing it.

With the old system, any old POS car that hasnt been on the road for 10yrs could be given a 10 day permit as long as it was insured.

Picture this, and think about how safe would you feel-- Some Billy is driving a 1979 5.0L mustang on the DVP, he swerves in front of you, trying to test the limits of his newly purchased 'sports' car... Meanwhile your kids are pointing and laughing at the trail of gasoline its spilling behind it, and the sparks flying off the dragging exhaust...

Its the SAME with the new one!!!! If they dont need safety and e-test to get a plate with T-sticker...you can have a car thats been sitting for 30 years, but with "FIT" papers, and you can get it right up on the road!!! Now how safe is that!!!??

BSL
02-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Its the SAME with the new one!!!! If they dont need safety and e-test to get a plate with T-sticker...you can have a car thats been sitting for 30 years, but with "FIT" papers, and you can get it right up on the road!!! Now how safe is that!!!??

hahahaha your absolutely right!
Do you even need to keep the sticker up to date to have it say 'fit' on the ownership?
The only thing I can think of, is that police can have an easier time of checking to see if your temp permit is valid.
With the new way, they dont have to get out of thier car.....

How incredibly well thought out it is, I wonder if thier is a clause in there somewhere, that the police can seize said vehicle for 7 days on the spot?

TNation
02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
this whole Ontario system is retarded. I wish we had Alberta's system, no e-test, no safety requirements, no used vehicle info packages (which is sort of handy), no T sticker, nothing. Just 7 days to change plates before you get a ticket. Awesome system, no headaches. Before you buy a car, its up to you do to all your research, like everything. That's how it should be.

Junaid
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
And another ****ed thing is you can get multiple temp. stickers, i've got it with my audi who wouldnt stop smoking if it's life depending on it *mumble*

dtthiaga
02-16-2009, 08:03 PM
this whole Ontario system is retarded. I wish we had Alberta's system, no e-test, no safety requirements, no used vehicle info packages (which is sort of handy), no T sticker, nothing. Just 7 days to change plates before you get a ticket. Awesome system, no headaches. Before you buy a car, its up to you do to all your research, like everything. That's how it should be.

^ That is the worst system ever. Indiana has the same system, and I've spent a long time there. They have some of the worst, rusted, and smoking cars on the road.

Some of those cars on the road, are so unsafe that Iím nervous to have them behind me.

In comparison, Ontario has much better caliber of cars on the road. I know you can get around the safety, but on the most part, the cars are checked before being put back on the road.

E-Test though, I donít like.

TNation
02-16-2009, 11:06 PM
^ That is the worst system ever. Indiana has the same system, and I've spent a long time there. They have some of the worst, rusted, and smoking cars on the road.

Some of those cars on the road, are so unsafe that Iím nervous to have them behind me.

In comparison, Ontario has much better caliber of cars on the road. I know you can get around the safety, but on the most part, the cars are checked before being put back on the road.

E-Test though, I donít like.

I'd have to disagree. All the shitty cars in Alberta with that system aren't driven because no one buys them, because most buyers inspect vehicles much better then they do in Ontario where Used Vehicle packages, certifications, and e-tests mean more then any other actual physical buyer inspection. There's no salt in the winters there and there's no rust in Alberta either, any rusty cars come from yours truly, Ontario.
Ontario has a lot of fake certifications, e-tests are a joke, and there's a lot of stupid rules (such as "T" stickers) and etc that do more worse then good. Yeah I can see why there's all these certifications and used vehicle packages to help educate the buyer, but i think they often do more worse then good, and prospective buyers don't inspect the vehicles as well - they believe paper records and e-test papers.

Junaid
02-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Who need cars, i am getting a moped.

Ontario's system is pretty ****ed up, you can get away with anything you want. I've had certifications made before i picked up the car, i had e-test passed over the phone. No matter what system any country,province, or state has, there will be loopholes and people will find a way to cheat it.

There is nothing you can do about it so might as well live with it.

/thread