PDA

View Full Version : Someone took my car key... should I change whole locking system?

summit425
02-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi guys...

I was playing soccer this morning @ U of T varsity field and someone took my Canada goose jacket... (my condo parking key fob, suite key, mailbox key and my car key was inside)

Luckly I left my iphone in my car... now it's less likely person who took my key along with other stuffs can access to my car but I am kinda worried...

Is it possible to change the locking system and get a new set of key??

If so how much does it take?? or should I just live with it???

Too much loss this morning....

Wannabe
02-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Umm in all reality, its probably safest to get the whole system changed but it would be big coin.. I would just get a new key made, and if he steals the car, well, its new car time for ya! Most likely, they just wanted the coat, if he wanted the car, than it would have been gone.

slemmer
02-04-2009, 11:42 PM
unless your downtown near varsity it'll be hard for the thief to actually find your car. Check kijiji - maybe your key might come up for sale.

dtthiaga
02-05-2009, 12:06 AM
If there is no papers or references to your home address in the jacket, I wouldn't bother.

AMG_POWER
02-05-2009, 12:09 AM
my buddy had his keys stolen from his X5 and then they tried to steal his car twice with it lol, but first time they failed cuz he came home in the right moment and they ran away, he went to bmw and REPROGRAMED the keys, so on 2nd attempt they started the car but just as they put it in reverse it shut down and thats it, so you can do reprogramming! Call and ask.

:)

Qube
02-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Do you have EWS? If you do, just invalidate the key at the dealer. They can't start it or open the door with the remote.

Gamite
02-05-2009, 12:37 AM
you can also do the keyhole delete mod so they can't use the key to get into the car.

also if you reprogram, there's no way they can find the car other than sticking the key into every BMW they see.

terrence330
02-05-2009, 12:45 AM
i feel so sorry for you man

rodo
02-05-2009, 01:26 AM
damn that sucks. This was inside the bubble?

summit425
02-05-2009, 01:41 AM
damn that sucks. This was inside the bubble?

yes........next time I am gonna bring a made in China jacket...

summit425
02-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Once thing I don't really like keyhole delete is.. what if my remote suddenly not working??

then I am doomed lol

propr'one
02-05-2009, 02:04 AM
If its obd2 the dealer (or charlie, or rocco) can reprogram your EWS and "block" all the EWS signatures for keys made for your car, other than the keys you have. It will still open the door, but it wont start the car.

rodo
02-05-2009, 03:14 AM
if u have folding seats u can get into the car through the trunk

dbworld4k
02-05-2009, 03:34 AM
That's why you never leave that shit out of sight.

Spoose
02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I think to change the entire locking system and ignition system is about $1k. I think you should follow the advice above and just get it reprogrammed.

tominizer
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Don't worry about the car........... that's what insurance is for.

Dado 540
02-05-2009, 03:46 PM
you should have checked all the garbage bins. If they were aiming for the jacket they could have searched it and tossed everything that was in it in the garbage. There is always a possibility that they might come back for the car since they know your soccer spot. And if they know who you are then you're f'd. Get that key re-programmed ASAP!

328i Cab
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I'd suggest getting the car reprogrammed and changing out even just the driver's door lock with a used one off ebay or something. You'd be able to stash the driver's door key in the trunk or something in case the remote didn't work and they are really unlikely to be able to get in your car......probably cheaper than changing all of the locks.

Situation sucks, hope nothing happens.

propr'one
02-05-2009, 06:07 PM
you guys are all nuts. Unless you've owned your car since new, there are extra copies of keys lying around in ex-owners homes, and wherever those ex owners lost them.

damameke
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
really.. if the thief wanted your car.. it would be gone on that night he saw the key with the BMW logo...

he would walked around any bmw and clicked the key to see which car responded..

I agree. situation like this screw up one's thought process and your mind plays a through a thousand scenarios.. the what if questions...

ask yourself this question...

what is the worst thing that can happen here????

car gets stolen.......inconvenience to you.. ya.....need to call cop and insurance co.

bright side. you get to buy a M3

XtasyX
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
you can reprogram your keys yourself, it's simple. But doing it this way will only disable the remote key for the one you lost, whoever stole the key can still enter your car through your trunk or door. You can install after market alarm, such as compustar, which would be the cheapest solution as the alarm will go off if it's not disabled, and you'll know someone is going into your car.

AceOfSpades
02-05-2009, 10:35 PM
shotgun and Jack Daniels

Fel
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't think you have anything to worry about... whoever stole your jacket probably wanted the jacket and bailed. They'll never find your car.

If you wanna play it safe, do the reprogramming and call it a day.

slimjim
02-05-2009, 11:56 PM
tracking device and a sign on ur bmw saying " someone stole my keys with my jacket", leave it at the school. Catch him red handed....but then u have to deal with the choices of giving him a new face, or calling the police to arrest him. :P