PDA

View Full Version : Random e30 questions/problems.

slimjim
02-04-2009, 12:41 AM
ok so i have a few questions about heating problems and performance upgrades.

1. My heat is garbage, the only time i feel the waarmth is if i have steady high rpms (4000) for more than 5-10 minutes....basically when im on the highway. Otherwise it blows luke warm air on full heat. What is the problem? heater core? is it a big job to fix?

2. im going to start collecting parts for my spring project soon and have a few questions. I will be building the 2.7i engine and want to know what things i can/cant do to the motor.

-- Do i need a different chip for the ecu? which one?
- if i wanted to add larger injectors, does this affect the chip i should get?
- i also want to put a different cam (280ish?) will this affect the chip i should get?
- i also would like to shave the head a bit, wwould this be a good idea if im changing the cam (clearance issues)? and again, do a need a certain chip if i do this?
- could i do all of these upgrades at the same time or would some things interfere with eachother? would i have to get a costom chip?

thanks in advance, jake.

e30_kid89
02-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Sounds like the heater core may be crapping out, Get ready to pull the dash for this.

You will need a custom chip for all your mods so it would be best do do everything then get a chip for everything you won't need a re-tune.

I have 19lb injectors FS :P start gathering parts noww!

craz azn
02-04-2009, 01:04 AM
^^ Actually when I changed mine, I found theres enough room to take it out with the dash in, surprisingly... but its a bitch to be cramped upside down in the car

e30_kid89
02-04-2009, 01:09 AM
I stand correctoed.

craz azn
02-04-2009, 01:13 AM
In your defense, its much easier IMO with the dash out.

e30_kid89
02-04-2009, 01:18 AM
yay!

supernaught
02-04-2009, 08:34 AM
for your heater core, it could be that the hoses to the core are reversed. Swap them at the inlets in the firewall and let the heat flow in ;)

richie_s999
02-04-2009, 09:09 AM
check your belt to the water pump, if its loose your gonna have high temp but no flow at high rpm resulting in poor heat. when is the last time you changed the thermostat???

everlast
02-04-2009, 10:01 AM
If the water pump belt was slipping the timing would be "adjusting itself" too, yo. :D

Surprised nobody mention thermostat?! What does your gauge read?

richie_s999
02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
the belt for altenator turns the clutch fan and water pump doesn't it? it does on the M42 motor

and didn't I just say thermostat???????? dude you need COFFEE this morning :)

supernaught
02-04-2009, 10:27 AM
with low flow the engine temp would get pretty hot, something your temp sensor should tell you. If you are pretty sure your sensor is telling you how it is, runs sround 1/2 while driving, I would say your hoses are on backwards. If you're running cold, your thermostat is not working.

everlast
02-04-2009, 10:27 AM
LOL I was TOTALLY just drinking my first coffee of the day. Win for you hahaha, lol.

On the M20, the timing belt turns the water pump. I suppose that the pump itself could be failing but that's unlikely. I agree with you, thermostat is the most likely candidate unless the gauge shoots right up.

supernaught
02-04-2009, 10:30 AM
On the M20, the timing belt turns the water pump.

*drink*

punnzzells
02-04-2009, 10:32 AM
yes to all above... but before you start pulling crap out... try to get a pressure washer.... disconnect the heater core hoses and blow the high pressure washer down the 1 line and make sure it's not clogged.... you'll see water coming out the other , 2nd hose... then try your thermostat, etc., etc.

that's a nicely balanced motor if done properly... good luck

everlast
02-04-2009, 10:35 AM
^ Wow, that seems messy and involved. I'd rather change the thermostat first LOL, less coolant on the floor. However, great tip!

supernaught
02-04-2009, 10:40 AM
id verify the hoses are on right first, then look at the thermostat. If thermostat is ok, then try to flush the core, if its buggered swap it.
This is in order of difficulty and cost, from free and easy to $ and a pain in the ass.

everlast
02-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I love how we all think of fixes in terms of effort / cost basically the same way. I believe owning an e30 significantly increases analytical and logistical skills. :D

richie_s999
02-04-2009, 11:36 AM
some water pumps have plastic blades which can break over years if coolant has been neglected I would change thermostat, flush the cooling system and go from there. Presure test the system first and look for leaks. after that the water pump is the last thing it could be.

FuryriderX
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
ok so i have a few questions about heating problems and performance upgrades.

1. My heat is garbage, the only time i feel the waarmth is if i have steady high rpms (4000) for more than 5-10 minutes....basically when im on the highway. Otherwise it blows luke warm air on full heat. What is the problem? heater core? is it a big job to fix?

2. im going to start collecting parts for my spring project soon and have a few questions. I will be building the 2.7i engine and want to know what things i can/cant do to the motor.

-- Do i need a different chip for the ecu? which one?
- if i wanted to add larger injectors, does this affect the chip i should get?
- i also want to put a different cam (280ish?) will this affect the chip i should get?
- i also would like to shave the head a bit, wwould this be a good idea if im changing the cam (clearance issues)? and again, do a need a certain chip if i do this?
- could i do all of these upgrades at the same time or would some things interfere with eachother? would i have to get a costom chip?

thanks in advance, jake.

Okay homefry, here's the deal.
1. no heat except at high rpms is a flow problem. do what everyone else in the thread suggested.

2. No you dont need a different chip, per se. The 325i ecu will work. However, if you get 19lb injectors and a 284 cam on top of that, i would highly suggest getting MarkD to make you a chip. You will notice a big difference, i'm sure. If you want a high lift/duration cam, i suggest NOT shaving the head. The 2.7i has even tighter valve clearances than the 2.5i, if i recall correctly - make SURE you clay the interference before you run the car, if you put in a cam. Heck ya, do them all at once. Then you'll get the greatest butt dyno gains :D

Then when your sick of that, bring it to me and i'll turbo it.

slimjim
02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
yes to all above... but before you start pulling crap out... try to get a pressure washer.... disconnect the heater core hoses and blow the high pressure washer down the 1 line and make sure it's not clogged.... you'll see water coming out the other , 2nd hose... then try your thermostat, etc., etc.

that's a nicely balanced motor if done properly... good luck

ya, that was one of the first things i was going to try.....i REALLY dont want to change the heater core.

forgot to mention, when its a warmer temp like zero degrees, the heat works fairly well.

craz azn
02-04-2009, 12:59 PM
LOL I was TOTALLY just drinking my first coffee of the day. Win for you hahaha, lol.

On the M20, the timing belt turns the water pump. I suppose that the pump itself could be failing but that's unlikely. I agree with you, thermostat is the most likely candidate unless the gauge shoots right up.

Rly? Jay have another coffee bro :P

some water pumps have plastic blades which can break over years if coolant has been neglected I would change thermostat, flush the cooling system and go from there. Presure test the system first and look for leaks. after that the water pump is the last thing it could be.

I've never seen a plastic impellered m20 water pump before...?

craz azn
02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Jake, how do you plan on building the bottom end? Stock parts, or adding custom pistons? That would determine how much space you have to work with in terms of compression, valve-to-piston clearances etc.

supernaught
02-04-2009, 01:18 PM
http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69310
or
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=121856

really, before you get too caught up in other shit, verify your hoses are going where they should be. You might save yourself a lot of head scratching

InfiniteDice
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Could just be the knob on the dash isn't rotating the valve in the heater core... thus not much hot coolant into the mix.

supernaught
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Could just be the knob on the dash isn't rotating the valve in the heater core... thus not much hot coolant into the mix.

good suggestion

everlast
02-04-2009, 03:29 PM

What.. what did I say wrong now? :)

I was going to ask that.. isn't that the e36/9 pumps that are plastic / metal?

richie_s999
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM

LOL thats why I said "some" :) I have a M42 in my car, which would be the same as the E36's I guess. I keep forgetting how different my motor is from the 6's in the E30's

was I atleast right about the water pump being on a v-belt?

everlast
02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
The M42 looks to be the same generation of technology as the M50, no? Timing chain, coils, knock sensors, 4v per cylinder, etc.

richie_s999
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
The M42 looks to be the same generation of technology as the M50, no? Timing chain, coils, knock sensors, 4v per cylinder, etc.

I beleive so, check this link out about it

http://bmwnut.blogspot.com/2006/04/1991-e30-bmw-318is-performance-mods.html

supernaught
02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
yes, water pump + alternator are run by the V fan belt.

I have seen a plastic impeller on an M20. no broken fins but it did fail on me. Replacement was metal.

richie_s999
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM

I have seen a plastic impeller on an M20. no broken fins but it did fail on me. Replacement was metal.

shit I was right twice someone tell my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everlast
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM

You mean on the m42 / m50, right?! :P This is getting confusing lol.

Wow, I don't really remember looking at the last water pump I did on my e30. Its only 2 year old tho and due for a change in 2 more, so no biggie i guess.

supernaught
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
You mean on the m42 / m50, right?! :P This is getting confusing lol.

I can speak only from M20 experience but it still is not good engineering to have the water pump/fan on the timing belt/chain, it is good rule of thumb to reduce possible casues for failure and interruption by isolating these systems

everlast
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
... right, I agree.

But why did you say "water pump + alternator are run by the V fan belt"? The water pump is on the timing belt, along with the cam sprocket and a tensioner. The alternator is on a vbelt, completely separate.

supernaught
02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
on an M20b25 the water pump is not run on the timing belt. Its on a V belt with the alternator.
belts:
PS pump belt - PS only
AC belt - AC only
Timing - Oil pump, Cam
Fan Belt - Alt, Fan/waterpump

If we are not talking about the m20, then i dont know what applies here

craz azn
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
... right, I agree.

But why did you say "water pump + alternator are run by the V fan belt"? The water pump is on the timing belt, along with the cam sprocket and a tensioner. The alternator is on a vbelt, completely separate.

Yea man, it runs off the fan belt. Not the timing belt. *th-up*

everlast
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Ninja edit. Has the matrix changed reality on me? I'm going to look at a manual lol.

everlast
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
LOL NOW THE coffee comment makes sense. Even after doing 5 or 6 timing belt changes, I still had the details wrong lol. So, uhm, yeah, er.. I know the water pump and timing belt are related. Why again? Is it the pump that holds the tensioner spring or something stupid like that?

craz azn
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Yep! and the pin deally too.

everlast
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow, epic fail for me. Sorry for being a dillweed.

richie_s999
02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Wow, epic fail for me. Sorry for being a dillweed.

your forgiven lol :)