PDA

View Full Version : flooded car and insurance Trouble

derkleineman
02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
My car was flooded 88 BMW E30 about knee height on december 28th and I had comprehensive coverage on the car for flood fire and so on .
I went to my insurance company state farm and reported the claim after about 4 weeks they got back to me and said the damage is under my deductible $500 dollar they said only the carpet needs to be cleaned I was like what !!??? thatís bull .

How you want to clean a wet smelly carpet ? And whatís with all the rest like electric parts what where submerged with water??

I need some input on things I can do !
Also the DME fright because it was lose on the passenger floor I told them that the car shut off after I tried to start it

Thanks guys

e36_freak
02-03-2009, 12:33 PM
i work in insurance claims. did the adjuster come out and take a look at the car? basically when theres water damage especially like u said knee high. the car is a write off because of damage to electrical systems and other hazards that can come out because of that. so basically call your adjuster back and request that he takes a closer look at your car. alot of times you gotta fight for your claim.

Manimillion
02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Take it to a garage, get them to check up the car, and exactly write up what has been damaged by the flooding, and the total cost of repairs.

Make sure you get the name and the contact information of the licensed mechanic who inspects the car. Make a copy of the estimate, call you insurance company, and either fax it or mail it to them.

derkleineman
02-03-2009, 12:41 PM
there was a adjuster comming out and he gave a quote for replacing the carpet that was about 2 weeks ago in the mean time i had to dispose the car as i had no storrage and so on for it :( is ther some one who could help me obtain a quote for the repairs, the insurence company said the water was knee deep thats a good thing to start i guess

Manimillion
02-03-2009, 01:11 PM
there was a adjuster comming out and he gave a quote for replacing the carpet that was about 2 weeks ago in the mean time i had to dispose the car as i had no storrage and so on for it :( is ther some one who could help me obtain a quote for the repairs, the insurence company said the water was knee deep thats a good thing to start i guess

Ok, let me get this straight, you don't have the car anymore, and you are trying to get an insurance payout?

tominizer
02-03-2009, 01:13 PM
.............uhmmmmmm, it's over. Walk away in shame. You have nothing.

derkleineman
02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
i put in the claim way befor i disposed the car i had no other option at that time no place for the car

NOTORIOUS VR
02-03-2009, 01:17 PM
^^^ you screwed yourself over though by doing that.

derkleineman
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
i will see there should be a solution to everything :) so if they are not paying thats not a bigi as well everyone else i talked to befor like car repair shops said they always replace the carpet no question's asked so i'm wondering why the insurence said a cleaning and told me befor they recived a quote for a replacment carpet

Eurostyle
02-03-2009, 01:47 PM
i put in the claim way befor i disposed the car i had no other option at that time no place for the car

You do know insurance pays for storage while they do the claims, right???

In any case, if you didnt care much about the car, i dont see a point in having a claim on your record!

lvan
02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
As long as you get the paper work in hand to back it up, you are fine. SF is know to fork out cash over the counter without hassle. From what I have seen , many of them like to take their time when it comes to getting back to you. I remember when my co-worker was with Vavanessa, they were giving him bs over the phone when his escalade got stolen. He gets a call from the cops that his Cadi was found. After 4 weeks of bs talk from insurance company, he ended up going to the yard to see his Cadi. Guess what, they did nothing about it!

derkleineman
02-03-2009, 03:35 PM
You do know insurance pays for storage while they do the claims, right???

In any case, if you didnt care much about the car, i dont see a point in having a claim on your record!

i did not know that as the guy where the car was said after a week you have to get it out or you pay $60 bugs a day for storrage i see now ****ing idiot i should have asked some else about that as well

but like i said the insurence told me over the phone there was watter to the knees so i called bmw for a replacment carpet today with instalation they wanne get back to me and then i will present that to my insurence, the carpet has to dry befor i can start cleaning it and how much would a good shop charge to do that 50 bugs cleaning and around 600-700 taken it out and re-installing from a forum sponsor so i dont real know where State farm is getting 100 bugs from and in the same way the speakers are soaked $139 each i have 2 and $189 for the centrall locking relay and another $170 for the intirior light relay
so thats for me $1337 dollar and like i said they told me how high the water was :)
i wonder at what damgage money whise the car is a write off anybody know ???

Manimillion
02-03-2009, 03:37 PM
i did not know that as the guy where the car was said after a week you have to get it out or you pay $60 bugs a day for storrage i see now

but like i said the insurence told me over the phone there was watter to the knees so i called bmw for a replacment carpet with instalation they wanne get back to me and then i present that to my insurence the carpet has to dry befor i can start cleaning it and how much would a good shop charge to do that 50 bugs cleaning and around 600-700 taken it out and reinstalling from a forum sponsor so i dont real know where State farm is getting 100 bugs from and in the same way the speakers are soaked $139 each i have 2 and $189 for the centrall locking relay and another $170 for the intirior light relay
so thats for me $1337 dollar and like i said they told me how high the water was :)
i wonder at what damgage money whise the car is a write off anybody know ???

They will not pay you a cent since you got rid of your car.

derkleineman
02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
and if not, then not ,to bad i guees
parting was fun and brought some money in my pockets :)

damameke
02-03-2009, 08:31 PM
all for nothing !!!!

should have stated you parted the car .....before all lthe advice...

dtthiaga
02-03-2009, 09:04 PM
i will see there should be a solution to everything :) so if they are not paying thats not a bigi as well everyone else i talked to befor like car repair shops said they always replace the carpet no question's asked so i'm wondering why the insurence said a cleaning and told me befor they recived a quote for a replacment carpet

State Farm is usually pretty good from what I hear. I know someone who had their car flooded and it was written off (State Farm) right away.

I think I they saw this scam coming and offered to clean the carpet. There might be a solution, but it's called Insurance Fraud.

derkleineman
02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
fraud is if you try to scam the insurence i'm not after that at all and second i only want to have the damage recoverd what the adjuster wrote in his repair bill thats fine with me and he said a new carpet and the insurence claim rep said a carpet cleaning thats the thing i was getting a hold off the adjuster and gave me a copy of his report today

jameswbl
02-03-2009, 10:31 PM
if SF decides to total your flooded car...how are you going to hand them the damaged car???

slemmer
02-03-2009, 10:50 PM
that's right - if they write it off, you need to hand them the keys to the car and the car as well. No car, no money.

BMW BMXer
02-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Ya you have to give them keys and ownership then they take the car.

I'm not sure why you did what you did.

Qube
02-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Make sure you have a $0 claim since you started the paperwork. It may count against you when you move companies, so be ready to explain.

arsevader
02-05-2009, 11:56 PM
That's a lot of bugs....

Eurostyle
02-06-2009, 12:30 AM
that's right - if they write it off, you need to hand them the keys to the car and the car as well. No car, no money.

There is also the "buy back" option! On an E30 it cant be more then a few hundred bucks...