PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start -18 degrees

eta Epsilon
02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi guys,

My car didn't start this morning.
Actually, it was starting, but it was dying right away.
My gaz tank was just under 1/4.

Do you think the gaz might be frozen?

I will use gaz de-icer tonight and I will try to boost it.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Steeven

stan man
02-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Did you try pressing the gas pedal a bit and than starting it?

supernaught
02-03-2009, 11:32 AM
will it stay alive under gas? does it try to get up to a high idle? does it sounds like its misfiring? Does it take a long time cranking before it finally turns over?

racer-x
02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
First of all, the gas does not freeze. It is the water in your tank, whether it condenses there or the gas you put in had some water content.

It tends to sit at the bottom of your tank, and with only 1/4 tank it makes it easier to freeze.

Dump isopropyl alcohol (the better of the two to use) into your tank. Add gas out of a gas can (preferably warmed to room temperature).

You will thaw whatever is causing your problem.... if that is indeed your issue.

It worked well with a 525iT that I used to own.

Bonne chance!

everlast
02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Eta's have an extra injector for cold start, run via the ECU and a thermister specifically for this purpose. It loads up extra gas when its very cold out. If either the thermister or the cold start injector are not working, you're going to have a helluva time starting your car in the cold. The Bentley outlines all the test procedures, and I think the Haynes may too.

eta Epsilon
02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
The rpm was going to ± 1500 and then i went back to 0.
It had no problem to start, but it would not run for more than 1 or 2 seconds.

I've tried to push the gas pedal, but it did nothing for me.

I'm going to get some isopropyl alcohol and try it in the car tonight.

Thanks for the advices guys!

eta Epsilon
02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I have the haynes at home. I'll give it a look tonight

everlast
02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Doesn't sound like the cold start injector, actually. Still worthwhile to check the resistance from the thermister and check the operation of the injector, but I doubt it's the problem.

Could be a fuel pressure problem, perhaps from water/ice in the tank or filter or from the pump itself. Or, a large crack in a vacuum line or a line / hose has come off.

Umm, that's all I can think of right now. Good luck.

InfiniteDice
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
icv make sure it buzzes when to turn ignition to on but not start. no buzz? tap it... whack it... blow hot air on it... lol

eta Epsilon
02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
ok,
I've used de-icer with some new gas and the car has started.

Thanks guys

racer-x
02-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Don't leave less than 1/4 tank, and give a shot of isopropyl alcohol in there.
TIP: It's cheaper to buy in a large bottle at a drug store. (rubbing alcohol).

It's a seasonal rip off at automotive stores.

InfiniteDice
02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Happened to me this morning -19 it's the ICV. It seizes in the cold and I need to hold the gas down slightly to keep the TB open. Once some heat/vibration allows the ICV to function properly... it runs/idles fine.

eta Epsilon
02-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I know the icv has a problem on my car. It's being fixed as we speak, along with other things...

InfiniteDice
02-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Are you getting a new ICV? if so let me know I'd like to see how it behaves after. I usually clean mine out, but it's questionable how effective that is.

///Mmm
02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Is this a common problem with E30s?

My e30 318is never had any problem starting in any cold weather( knock on wood) even with barely any fuel in the tank!

eta Epsilon
02-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Infinite Dice,
I did not get a new ICV. My mechanic cleaned it and he also cleaned the trottle. Anyway, the Eta is now running like a champ!

Finally, I also had my muffler replaced because it was leakink badly. I don't know which brand of muffler I now have, but it sounds great! I'll post a clip someday.
By the way, when my mechanic installed the muffler under my car. he went for a test drive and found out that it was sounding like a civic :-( so he has re-done another system with another muffler for free. That is good service!