PDA

View Full Version : How bad are your brokerage and duties?

Steve@ASPTuning
01-31-2009, 02:39 AM
Hey guys,

Just for curiosity sakes...

I know a few clients have come to me because of the reasons stated in the title.

I'm just wondering how many of you out there have gotten a notice a few days later wanting payment for brokerage, duties, and other fee's?

And of course I'm assuming you were not happy with that am I correct?

AND

Simple Solution:

Switch to Canadian Vendors ( Such as ASPTuning) and you won't be charged, brokerage, duties, and excessive fee's.

Thanks,
Steven
ASPTuning

dtthiaga
01-31-2009, 09:11 AM
This is the reason I refuse to use Fedex or UPS.

I always use USPS instead.

maroli
01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
This is the reason I refuse to use Fedex or UPS.

I always use USPS instead.

only problem is that USPS won't ship oversize without charging a ridiculous amount

Manimillion
01-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I think when I ordered my BBS's I was charged something close to $600 at my door by UPS. Still came out to cheaper then any Canadian retailer could get them for me.

On the other hand in some cases it is worth it to buy from Canadian retailers. I just wish they had more competitive prices, but then again, it is not their fault.

lukeh
01-31-2009, 06:07 PM
UPS/Fedex will always send the bill afterwards. You can dispute it if you know what you're talking about. As they usually try and con you for north of $60.

Fedex is flat rate minimum $25 for package values under $200 (low value for customs). It's due to some of the costs of the bonded warehouse. Anything over $200, you start getting into $40 rates, etc.

You want to get around brokerage and fees, you either ship USPS and take the chance that your package won't be randomly checked, have them claim its warranty returns or sample product (retailers never do this anyhow), or have it shipped to your closest port and you go over the border yourself and get it.

This is why UPS shipping within the states is dirt cheap, and suddenly costs an arm and a leg to cross the border. For example, looking at tires. I can get shipping for free anywhere within the state of New York, yet you cross the border, $250. So for $250, yeah I'll drive to Buffalo. That's worth my $30 in gas, and 4 hrs of driving round trip. Let alone the cost savings of the tires.

BigD
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I use usaddressinc.com, short drive back and forth - dirt cheap shipping ($12 UPS shipping from Cali to Niagara Falls for a muffler), no taxes or duty.

SickFinga
01-31-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.thefinalcost.com/

EstorilM3
01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
UPS/Fedex will always send the bill afterwards. You can dispute it if you know what you're talking about. As they usually try and con you for north of $60.

Fedex is flat rate minimum $25 for package values under $200 (low value for customs). It's due to some of the costs of the bonded warehouse. Anything over $200, you start getting into $40 rates, etc.

You want to get around brokerage and fees, you either ship USPS and take the chance that your package won't be randomly checked, have them claim its warranty returns or sample product (retailers never do this anyhow), or have it shipped to your closest port and you go over the border yourself and get it.

This is why UPS shipping within the states is dirt cheap, and suddenly costs an arm and a leg to cross the border. For example, looking at tires. I can get shipping for free anywhere within the state of New York, yet you cross the border, $250. So for $250, yeah I'll drive to Buffalo. That's worth my $30 in gas, and 4 hrs of driving round trip. Let alone the cost savings of the tires.

That's very odd.
I cannot recall EVER getting any late fees for ANYTHING either from UPS or from Fedex.

Just in the last three years I have ordered two sets of tires from Tire Rack, some bits from Turner, and construction material samples. What was stated in the shipping order is what I paid, no more no less.

I've always had the stuff delivered either to home or to place or work; not to Buffalo or any other US destination.

Furthermore, even after one adds up all the shipping, tarrifs/duties, and brokerage fees, EVERYTHING I've ordered from the States is substantially cheaper than buying in Canada. I do not blame the retailers for our high prices, but I do occassionally get the attitude from the Canadians. Genereally, piss-poor customer service from them is why I will keep on getting car parts (and many other things) from US.

summit425
02-01-2009, 04:36 AM
the reason why I kept ordering stuffs from US vender is the price is cheaper and more products.

well I wish you have more products.. your price seems reasonable.

lukeh
02-01-2009, 10:16 PM
estorilm3, consider your lucky. I wanted to obliterate UPS for wanting to charge me $70 in brokerage for a $70 shift selector rod.

Junaid
02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
dhl sent me one for my ballast for my old audi, i forgot about it and never heard from them again, i think they went bankrupt, no?

EstorilM3
02-02-2009, 07:54 PM
estorilm3, consider your lucky. I wanted to obliterate UPS for wanting to charge me $70 in brokerage for a $70 shift selector rod.

We're talking about "...a notice a few days later...", not how much the fee is.

lukeh
02-02-2009, 10:46 PM
yeah, I received the brokerage bill 7 business days later.