PDA

View Full Version : Buying My 1st BMW

Future_///M3
01-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I have been on here as a guest for a month or so, and now finally am a member.
I have read alot of good information on here about BMW's and M3's.
I am looking to purchase a M3 in a few weeks.
If im gonna go used, no lower then 2005, i've seen a few at BMW dealerships, etc.
Or I might go brand new, not 100 % sure yet.
My question is, if im gonna deal with a BMW dealership, say for example I go used and a M3 costs $42000
( example ) 2005 year. How much can I get the salesperson to lower it.
What can I say to get the best deal possible ?
I know some of you have good experience in this, and any good tips or advice would be helpful.
If you would like to share your experience, let me know how much lower you got it for from the original price,
used or new, it would be cool to know.

Right now I see alot of 2005's coming off lease, and are good prices, some with very low KM's.

Thanks for the help. *th-up*

e46_Fawaz
01-24-2009, 09:20 PM
due to the new M3's, the e46 m3's price has taken a big hit. a 2005 m3 with let's say 40,000 km should not be more than mid 30's. even $35,000 is too much if you compare it to the american market. but that's the american market. if u r thinking of getting it from the states, then you have to keep in mind the taxes, and duties especially... there was a sticky thread here somewhere which explains the procedure and costs of bringing a bmw here.

also, because of the downturn in economy, u could bargain a lot with the bmw dealerships. they should be paying people nowadays to enter their dealerships. it's only going to get worse. I heard nissan has 0% financing too now.

damameke
01-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Economy is not that great.. doesnt mean there is a fire sale.

A dealer still has to make some money and as a consumer you can only present your best
offer.

BMW dealer mark up is pretty high,and yet it still attracts quite a number of customers.

Case in point, 2 weeks ago, went to a Acura dealership to buy a 2004 fully loaded TSX, asking price is $22.500, I can only get them to $20,000, not a penny less. Only thing I was able to do was asking them to throw in another year of warranty to 2011.

Paying people to walk to the dealership, I guess.. that's a myth ...

Anyway to OP, present an offer that you are comfortable in paying, check around in autotrader and average out the price...and of course buying private save you GST.

richie_s999
01-27-2009, 02:25 AM
M is for money.....you pay a premium to play

rendered
01-27-2009, 04:38 PM
You could buy my E46 M3 if you're looking for a white cabriolet. Much less than $42,000!

Or a guy I know is selling his beautiful E46 M3 Coupe. I'll PM you some links.

Either way great cars and excellent choice!

Economy is not that great.. doesnt mean there is a fire sale.

A dealer still has to make some money and as a consumer you can only present your best
offer.

Damameke is completely right.

Shepposki
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Theres not a huge mark up on new cars thats for sure.... Its only like 8% - 10% .. used cars are different it can be 5% to 25% depending on what the dealer has done to the car to get it ready to sell

Future_///M3
01-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all the advice and info. I'm still taking my time on this, auto trader has some good M3's to compare prices, etc.
In a few weeks I will know what my mind says to purchase.

dtthiaga
01-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Luxury cars have taken a big hit at the auction block recently.
Now is the time to buy, not to sell.

05-06 M3's, with 40-50K going for $29,000-$30,000 (Clean Carproof, Canadian Cars)

02-04 M3's with 60-70K going for $22,000-$24,000. (Clean Carproof, Canadian Cars)

06 e90 325i's with 40-50K going for $17,000-$19,000. (Clean Carproof, Canadian Cars)

Before anyone comments on these cars being hit, or flooded, they are the same cars that BMW Toronto etc come get.

My suggestion is get someone to buy the car at the big private dealer auctions for you.

The cars on the lots currently were probably purchased before the further tanking of the luxury car prices. I wouldn’t touch them; they probably have too much in them.

…. 08 M5’s are going for $70K :D

coolhand
01-29-2009, 06:02 AM
If you want to save money, don't buy new.

damameke
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM

05-06 M3's, with 40-50K going for $29,000-$30,000 (Clean Carproof, Canadian Cars)

02-04 M3's with 60-70K going for $22,000-$24,000. (Clean Carproof, Canadian Cars)

06 e90 325i's with 40-50K going for $17,000-$19,000. (Clean Carproof, Canadian Cars)

Before anyone comments on these cars being hit, or flooded, they are the same cars that BMW Toronto etc come get.

My suggestion is get someone to buy the car at the big private dealer auctions for you.

The cars on the lots currently were probably purchased before the further tanking of the luxury car prices. I wouldn’t touch them; they probably have too much in them.

Presumely, if one gets a broker to buy one of these cars in an auction, what is the commission that the broker charge and does one buy it "as is"?

Anyone has any experience buying through auction?

Based on the 06 E90, those price is very low, average from autotrader for 06
E90 is around $28 grand, so it's really a viable option.

Spoose
01-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Presumely, if one gets a broker to buy one of these cars in an auction, what is the commission that the broker charge and does one buy it "as is"?

depends on the broker, but going rate should be $1-1.5k PLUS all expenses. the rest is entirely up to the customer. some guys are willing to take "as is" some guys want everything done. pm me if interested.

///MG
01-29-2009, 02:56 PM
buying private save you GST.

If you don't pay the GST when you're buying the car (for example at the dealership) you'll have to pay the GST (according to the blue book value of the vehicle) when you go to get your plates.

damameke
01-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Thats PST you have to pay..

///MG
01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Thats PST you have to pay..

Right... my bad... PST... I knew it was one of them... *uzi*TAXES:mad:

Good luck with the purchase!

sski
01-29-2009, 04:39 PM
If you go with a dealer you get the CPO warranty (which you end paying for in the price, I know). You also may get good finance rates depending on what you buy.

My wife's 2005 X3, was listed at 32K, we got it for 30K. Brand new, I think this woudl have been over 50K.

I personally like going CPO route.

dtthiaga
01-29-2009, 07:47 PM

I've done it many times.

For the e90, prices are low because these are auction prices, reflected by the current market condition. Luxury car prices have dropped big time.

The Autotrader prices will be much higher, especially since most of those cars were probably purchased a month or two ago when auction prices were higher.

Most of these cars are lease returns, so it should be good on the most part.
You know how pissie BMW gets with lease returns.
You might have to do tires, or brakes.

I usually leave $1000 budget to safety the car. I have never spent that much yet.

As for brokerage, a $1000 tops.

A 2005 X3 3.0 with 40K goes for about $20,000 - $21,000 (BMW Lease Return)
I'd rather buy this than going to a BMW dealer and getting a CPO car for $30K.

Food for thought....

rendered
01-31-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm in the brokerage business, and I'm at the Auctions every week.

I do this on a daily basis for many of my clients. It will save anyone at least thousands and thousands on any car, and any model. The higher end cars you go, the higher profit margain big dealers/manufacters impose on these models, and the more you'll save going with the right broker.

I find people who are picky get the worst deals. If you're looking for something specific or rare, get ready to pay more; on top of that, I have to work harder and pull more strings to get you the lowest price!

You have to be somewhat open to different options, packages, colours and mileage if you want the BEST condition car for the BEST price.

And if you don't mind a little rough condition, or higher mileage (you're good with your cars and don't mind bringing a vehicle up to showroom condition) you'll walk away with a STEAL! The absolute lowest priced car at an Auction ussually. Close to Half the price of what a similar year with similar mileage may be going for. There are many other factors I'm not mentioning. Mind you, this is all a rough description.

And you better have the cash in hand ready to go if you want this route. I find most people these days as picky as they may be, don't have all the cash ready, and try to get financing for the rest and don't get approved (banks are tough these days) after all the work I do to obtain the perfect vehicle for them. So Get your line of credit or car loans ready to go before the shopping begins, because there's nothing more dissapointing than finding your perfect car, then not being able to pool all the cash together to go through with the sale.

(If you're looking to finance rather than pay cash) Anyone is better off paying the premium (buy through bmw dealership) to go through dealer financing as there's better chances of approval lately I've noticed, and you'll save money with financing over most bank car loans.

lvan
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
^ so true.

Just before I got my E30, I saw nice intergra with 50k orikinal at subaru dealer. I call him up, the salesman is like "I got a young guy that is about to buy it and other yadyada". Ok..... I left him my number. Guess what.? After 2-3 days I get a call from the dealer. "Yeah Ivan, I am getting back to you, the young dude coun not secure the loan"....... I bet you see these all the time....

rendered
01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
^ so true.

Just before I got my E30, I saw nice intergra with 50k orikinal at subaru dealer. I call him up, the salesman is like "I got a young guy that is about to buy it and other yadyada". Ok..... I left him my number. Guess what.? After 2-3 days I get a call from the dealer. "Yeah Ivan, I am getting back to you, the young dude coun not secure the loan"....... I bet you see these all the time....

Not only young folks, they are not so bad, its more apparent with the 40-55 year olds with families, mortgages, high expenses, and high debt ratio's. Just a sign of these times, and our failing economy I guess. Even people with great income and great credit, are having trouble getting approved through banks now. Banks have become really tight with their lending from what I've seen!

lvan
01-31-2009, 03:09 PM
^ Correct. I was just supporting the point that you brought up. It was kind of funny since I was almost sure that dealer would phone me back.

PinkieMoscow
01-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Sorry for hijacking, but I've seen CPO in so many threads but never figured out what it actually meant. CPO>blank?

whoami
01-31-2009, 07:58 PM
certified pre-owned!!:puke:

sski
02-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Standard BMW warranty is 4yrs/80,000kms. Buy certified pre-owned from a dealer and you are covered for 6yrs/160,000kms. It is not an extension of the original factory warranty, however it is quite comprehensive. Basically all the things that were wrong with my Honda Pilot (a/c, both front door locks, cv joints) would have all been covered up to 160,000km.

I took the X3 in last week because the hatch would not open manually...wires corroded...they replaced wires, harness etc...no charge..."have a nice day sir".

Ya I know you pay for it.

It depends on your personality and your lifestyle. Do you book your flight and hotel seperately to get the best price on each, figure you'll grab a cab at airport, then scope out the less expensive local restuerants...or just say f*ck it, go to the travel agent, book a nice 4/5 star all-inclusive and hand her your credit card...no effort, no hassle. Either way is great, just depends on you.

My wife and I are the latter. Maybe it's an age thing, but I just can't be bothered...ha ha.

Future_///M3
02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Well I have my eyes on like 2 used 2005-2006 M3's.

But I am also wondering if I should go brand new. I'm confused *drink*
Going new is 84 hp more than the 300 hp. 414 hp sounds sweet.
Anyone have a new 2009 M3 , six speed ? Comments.

What colour would you go for, im stuck between Black or Alpine White.
What is better, Jerez black metallic or jet black ?

I need to test drive a 2005 first, then take a 2009 for a spin afterwards, then I will be sold for one after those drives :P

If going new, should I stick to just the basics, and nothing from the
Packages & Options section. I just need a sunroof.

TNation
02-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Give me a shout, I'll come with you and help you buy it (i sold cars so I know how to work you a crazy deal).
This is a buyers market man, and you can get a smoking deal. Go used with CPO warranty.

///M POWER
02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi there,

Not sure if you had a chance to check out my link for the sale of my 2003 SMG Cab...

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115903

Hope that helps,

Alex

loconet
06-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Standard BMW warranty is 4yrs/80,000kms. Buy certified pre-owned from a dealer and you are covered for 6yrs/160,000kms. It is not an extension of the original factory warranty, however it is quite comprehensive. Basically all the things that were wrong with my Honda Pilot (a/c, both front door locks, cv joints) would have all been covered up to 160,000km.

I took the X3 in last week because the hatch would not open manually...wires corroded...they replaced wires, harness etc...no charge..."have a nice day sir".

Ya I know you pay for it.

It depends on your personality and your lifestyle. Do you book your flight and hotel seperately to get the best price on each, figure you'll grab a cab at airport, then scope out the less expensive local restuerants...or just say f*ck it, go to the travel agent, book a nice 4/5 star all-inclusive and hand her your credit card...no effort, no hassle. Either way is great, just depends on you.

My wife and I are the latter. Maybe it's an age thing, but I just can't be bothered...ha ha.

Any idea what a good negotiating # to knock off a CPO is nowadays? For example, bmw.ca has a CPO on a 2009 323i (15K kms) at $34,900 (~$3,000 less than brand new with the same options). Anyone has any idea what % less is realistic to negotiate nowadays?

TNation
06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Any idea what a good negotiating # to knock off a CPO is nowadays? For example, bmw.ca has a CPO on a 2009 323i (15K kms) at $34,900 (~$3,000 less than brand new with the same options). Anyone has any idea what % less is realistic to negotiate nowadays?

that's a TERRIBLE PRICE omg

loconet
06-01-2009, 09:43 PM
that's a TERRIBLE PRICE omg

That was my first reaction as well. I wasn't sure if I was right. In your opinion what is a more "realistic" number for it?

TNation
06-01-2009, 10:31 PM
That was my first reaction as well. I wasn't sure if I was right. In your opinion what is a more "realistic" number for it?

You should be able to get it for around $30k out the door. Depends on the condition as well, if its CPO.

xlash
06-01-2009, 11:42 PM

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

E90 325i with 40-50 thousand km are all in the mid $20's minimum.

05-06 M3's are all $40,000+ and 02-04 M3's with that mileage you stated are all around or over $30,000.

'08 M5's are all over $80,000.

Only buy a car directly from an auction if you're willing to take the risk or know a broker ver well. BMW Toronto, a dealership that gives a toss about its reputation has seasoned pros who look over the car prior to bidding on them and pays premium for the well maintained, low mileage cars before the shady dealers and chop shops duke it out for the damaged ones.

TNation
06-02-2009, 12:22 PM
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

E90 325i with 40-50 thousand km are all in the mid $20's minimum.

05-06 M3's are all $40,000+ and 02-04 M3's with that mileage you stated are all around or over $30,000.

'08 M5's are all over $80,000.

Only buy a car directly from an auction if you're willing to take the risk or know a broker ver well. BMW Toronto, a dealership that gives a toss about its reputation has seasoned pros who look over the car prior to bidding on them and pays premium for the well maintained, low mileage cars before the shady dealers and chop shops duke it out for the damaged ones.

No offense man, you're out to lunch. This isn't 2007, its 2009. ddthiaga is right, in fact his prices are a little on the high side right now.

xlash
06-02-2009, 03:18 PM
No offense man, you're out to lunch. This isn't 2007, its 2009. ddthiaga is right, in fact his prices are a little on the high side right now.

These prices are from autotrader - all of Ontario. I tried to bring down a 2003 330i w/ ZSP from 19,000 to 18,000 about 60 days ago and they wouldn't budge even though the car wasn't even in good shape. And this is from worldfinecars, not BMW Toronto.

Believe you me, as a buyer I'd love for the prices to be what he stated. If true I'd be all over an 03.5 M3 like a fat kid on candy and ballin' around hogtown.

Before I bought my car I didn't know about maxbimmer but I posted up my negotiations on bimmerforums and most of the respodents agreed that I was getting a good deal.

rendered
06-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Xlash, these are the correct auction prices he listed.

All you're seeing is retail prices.

Actually a lot of these dealers are paying even more at the auction now for these cars! It's insane! I don't know how they are even making money buying close to retail!

TNation
06-02-2009, 04:45 PM
These prices are from autotrader - all of Ontario. I tried to bring down a 2003 330i w/ ZSP from 19,000 to 18,000 about 60 days ago and they wouldn't budge even though the car wasn't even in good shape. And this is from worldfinecars, not BMW Toronto.

Believe you me, as a buyer I'd love for the prices to be what he stated. If true I'd be all over an 03.5 M3 like a fat kid on candy and ballin' around hogtown.

Before I bought my car I didn't know about maxbimmer but I posted up my negotiations on bimmerforums and most of the respodents agreed that I was getting a good deal.

you're still seeing retail prices instead of auction prices. Just cause Toronto dealers are overpriced (and believe me, they are, but they are still nothing compared to Calgary and Vancouver which overprice BMW's even more), doesn't mean their prices are fair. BMW dealers and even shady small stealerships are getting BMW's for dirt cheap and are ripping us all off. You wouldn't believe the prices for M3's in the US. Xlash, you can get an 03.5 M3 for 25-27k Canadian with navi and all packages imported if you want, from Texas/southern US, NO RUST. The dollar is at $92.53 TODAY!!! Love that Mark? ;)

Buy an 04 M3 like this for $20-$21k US, depending on the condition you can spend a bit more, or spend a bit less.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=262209265&dealer_id=1146386&car_year=2004&rdm=1243975049126&num_records=25&model=M3&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2003&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=76&make=BMW&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=18000&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=48201&advanced=y&end_year=2004&pager.offset=75&transmission=&doors=&max_price=30000&cardist=1969&standard=false

or

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=262567761&dealer_id=64165771&car_year=2004&rdm=1243975049126&model=M3&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=101&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=18000&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=48201&advanced=y&end_year=2004&pager.offset=100&doors=&transmission=&max_price=30000&cardist=449&standard=false

only has 49k miles too.
If you paid $21k US:

Price Paid After Exchange: $22,737.12 today's rate of 0.9236
Duty Paid: $1,386.96 duty rate of 6.1%
GST Paid: $1,136.86 Canadian GST is 5%
PST Paid: $1,818.97 Ontario PST rate of 8%
Air Conditioning Tax $100.00
RIV Fee: $204.75
Your cost after Import & Registration: $27,384.66 CDN

Not bad at all, that's a good $32-33k CDN car here.

xlash
06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree with you on the US prices. They are rock bottom right now. It is unbelievable. I didn't have the time to go down to the states and deal with the hassle to bring up an M3. But don't forget that selling an US car here isn't easy either.

TNation
06-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree with you on the US prices. They are rock bottom right now. It is unbelievable. I didn't have the time to go down to the states and deal with the hassle to bring up an M3. But don't forget that selling an US car here isn't easy either.

if you are the one that brought up the car from the US, its a lot easier to sell, you can explain why you brought it up, and how the car is, versus explaining why your car is from the US when you didn't bring it up from there.

arek
06-02-2009, 09:40 PM
lol, I feel silly offering 32gs for the PY in the classified now ;P, quite a premium to pay for a colour combination and CDN car.. forget'about it!

Personally, I could care less if its an US car or CDN.. they are both built in the same G*&R$%UH%$UH plant in germany for christsake!!!!!! miles cluster? WHOOP DE DOO!

rendered
06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Your info is off again Tyler!

You don't have the dealer's license nor the manheim auction account to see exactly what 2004-2006 M3 coupes are selling for.

I'm at the auction in person locally and online buying these cars every Tuesday, Wednesday( tommorow's the highline sale!) and Thursdays.

And the US M3's that you see selling for $22,000 USD are all crap! High mileage, poor condition, painted and salvage vehicles, accident repair, etc!

And by the way, you can buy better cars locally that will always be worth more come resale time and believe me, Canadian's will pay the premium for a local car!

How can I bet you when you have nothing to put up to bet me?! :D

TNation
06-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Your info is off again Tyler!

You don't have the dealer's license nor the manheim auction account to see exactly what 2004-2006 M3 coupes are selling for.

I'm at the auction in person locally and online buying these cars every Tuesday, Wednesday( tommorow's the highline sale!) and Thursdays.

And the US M3's that you see selling for $22,000 USD are all crap! High mileage, poor condition, painted and salvage vehicles, accident repair, etc!

And by the way, you can buy better cars locally that will always be worth more come resale time and believe me, Canadian's will pay the premium for a local car!

How can I bet you when you have nothing to put up to bet me?! :D

I have friends who have Manheim accounts, and I work for a dealership. I haven't looked @ prices recently, but they were UNREAL cheap in the US last time I looked. They've only dropped worse.
I disagree, 22K 03 M3's are NOT salvage vehicles, salvage M3's go for 15-18k. They have around 60-70k miles for around $22k. I disagree again with you on resale for Canadian cars, they look great, but at the end of the day Arek is right, both US and Canadian cars are made in Germany, one has a mph speedo and one doesn't. And if you look, you can find cold weather packaged M3's in the US. As we've disagreed many times, I don't like the rusted, rock chipped, road-destroyed M3's that are in the GTA, I'd rather prefer a US car. And if you import the car yourself, you will get most of the resale back. You were wrong about the US-Canadian dollar being almost equal again, and you're wrong on this as well.

rendered
06-03-2009, 02:56 AM
I have friends who have Manheim accounts, and I work for a dealership. I haven't looked @ prices recently, but they were UNREAL cheap in the US last time I looked. They've only dropped worse.
I disagree, 22K 03 M3's are NOT salvage vehicles, salvage M3's go for 15-18k. They have around 60-70k miles for around $22k. I disagree again with you on resale for Canadian cars, they look great, but at the end of the day Arek is right, both US and Canadian cars are made in Germany, one has a mph speedo and one doesn't. And if you look, you can find cold weather packaged M3's in the US. As we've disagreed many times, I don't like the rusted, rock chipped, road-destroyed M3's that are in the GTA, I'd rather prefer a US car. And if you import the car yourself, you will get most of the resale back. You were wrong about the US-Canadian dollar being almost equal again, and you're wrong on this as well.

Youngin, just because you assisted some people in the business doesn't make you the master of the business.

So you say you have friends with manheim accounts, print screen (and post it here) whats available, and what these M3's are selling for (so everyone can see), because I don't believe your BS you spew for a second. Obviously you don't know how to read condition reports, and point out which cars have Paintwork, and repaired frame damage and which don't.

You'll notice the majority of M3's currently available are in New Jersey, Seattle, Atlanta, NY Metro Skyline / NJ, Pennsylvania, Metro Chicago / IL; All areas with roads.... when driven on, any car will recieve rock chips and travel through adverse weather. And theres something wrong if you're looking at any E46 with rust. Obviously you should be smart enough to realize the car has been in an accident, and repainted poorly, is the reason for rust to show on any 2003+ E46 M3.

Like I said, for that money you're buying the lower end of the M3 picks aka. CRAP. and Who's to say, if a car looks good comestically, it won't be a disaster mechanically!?

Haven't you heard the common phrase, "You get what you pay for?"

Wrong about the dollar? I said I highly doubt $1 CAD will equal $1 USD anytime soon in 2009. If it does, great for all of us! Do you feel like a big boy now you finally proved me wrong with something relevant? *par-t*

Nobody likes a beaten high mileage M3! *shiner*

TNation
06-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Youngin, just because you assisted some people in the business doesn't make you the master of the business.

So you say you have friends with manheim accounts, print screen (and post it here) whats available, and what these M3's are selling for (so everyone can see), because I don't believe your BS you spew for a second. Obviously you don't know how to read condition reports, and point out which cars have Paintwork, and repaired frame damage and which don't.

You'll notice the majority of M3's currently available are in New Jersey, Seattle, Atlanta, NY Metro Skyline / NJ, Pennsylvania, Metro Chicago / IL; All areas with roads.... when driven on, any car will recieve rock chips and travel through adverse weather. And theres something wrong if you're looking at any E46 with rust. Obviously you should be smart enough to realize the car has been in an accident, and repainted poorly, is the reason for rust to show on any 2003+ E46 M3.

Like I said, for that money you're buying the lower end of the M3 picks aka. CRAP. and Who's to say, if a car looks good comestically, it won't be a disaster mechanically!?

Haven't you heard the common phrase, "You get what you pay for?"

Wrong about the dollar? I said I highly doubt $1 CAD will equal $1 USD anytime soon in 2009. If it does, great for all of us! Do you feel like a big boy now you finally proved me wrong with something relevant? *par-t*

Nobody likes a beaten high mileage M3! *shiner*

Mark, don't get upset that someone younger than you can amass a decent amount of car knowledge.
You're on crack to say that all M3's for 22k are repaints and accident history, its a recession, car prices are at an all time low, people are getting rid of their toys. Look at the second link, its a low km 2004 M3 with one owner, no accident history (or so he says). Who knows how it runs mechanically, but for that price, even if you had to put $4k worth into it, you're still saving money.
Sure those cars from the big cities of the NE US are in poor shape, but even check out southern US cars from like Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, etc.
How about something like this,
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=259270355&dealer_id=63866927&car_year=2004&rdm=1244066601067&model=M3&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=21000&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=48201&advanced=y&end_year=2004&doors=&transmission=&max_price=23000&cardist=1924&standard=false

"car has been in zero accidents, i am the third owner of the vehicle. The cars oil was changed every 3-4K miles (recommended is 5-7K) . inspection 2 has been completed at east side bavarian. The car has aftermarket headers, muffler and section one pipe as well as angel eyes and an ac schnitzer front lip, brand new tires (45's front 75's rear) Call me anytime on my cell 425(503-4885) Kyle"

Sure he could be lying about prior maintainence and Inspection II and accidents, but a quick check with a phone call to the "East Side Bavarian" BMW in Washington could dbl check with his story, a body shop could take a look at his car and tell if its been in an accident (plus a carfax and Autocheck history check). This car may have been bagged (I think this because he's modded it, so likely it has), but hey, if it all checks out, BMW checks it out and passes it after a 121 pt inspection, its in good shape, its got 60k miles, you offer him $19500 cash US, import for around $24k, spend a couple thousand into it (or for preventative maintainence), you're driving off happy in a rust free US car saving yourself about $4-5k from prices here. There's plenty of examples on autotrader of this as well;
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=262721968&dealer_id=611861&car_year=2003&rdm=1244066601067&model=M3&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=BMW&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=21000&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=48201&advanced=y&end_year=2004&doors=&transmission=&max_price=23000&cardist=1141&standard=false

this one is from Florida, etc etc.

Its how you look @ it, do you want to just save the hassle and spend way more money here and not import it, or get a usually better car from the US and have a little hassle getting it here.