PDA

View Full Version : BMW Lease Return question (Tire Tread)

Gamite
01-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Returning the X5. How much tire tread do I need to have left on the tires before inspection?

spoony_prelude
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
planning on doing a nice burnout before you take it back?

jay

dtthiaga
01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I think they wanted 2/16" of tire depth. ( Fully Serviceable tires, all matching, and of the same quality and performance of the original tires. )

My guy was very picky about curb-rash as well.

It definitely was not a good experience, and my car was mint and never winter driven.
Itís like the expect a brand new car back.

Spoose
01-22-2009, 12:16 AM
BMWFS bases their closed end billing costs based on an independent appraisal company, usually Manders, prior to you returning the vehicle. There have been situations where during the inspection everything is fine and then when the vehicle returns, MAGICALLY, things are different. But that's usually too late for BMWFS to do anything. Then the car gets shipped to the auctions. You'll only have a problem if the dealer is interested in keep the vehicle for inventory. If your X5 is not something the dealer would be interested in, then you have no worries if things are different from the inspection and when you return the vehicle.

Trouble65
01-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I really don't know, however I hate leases. The first vehicle I leased I asked them what to expect or additional costs after returning the vehicle. They explained to me that the vehicle has to be in great condition and that there are penalties for going over the mileage.
After bringing the vehicle back I got stuck with a $4,000 bill. They had to repaint front end because of stone chips, some of the chrome was pealing they charged me for new parts. The brakes were almost completley gone. They charged me for that. I asked them what do you expect for a car that has over 160,000Km.

I leased the car for 4 years and paid extra for requesting higher mileage. After 4 years I calculated I paid 5% over retail.

When I asked to buy the car they wanted to charge me more then you could buy one private. I have newer or will ever lease a car again.

The best thing is to go get a personal loan and buy the car and then lease it to your company.

INFAMOU$
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
if it's a problem then just go test drive another and swap wheels :D

Gamite
01-22-2009, 12:27 PM

New X5 wheels don't fit on old X5's :)

Nice try though.

rodo
01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
pretty sure it's 4/32, they'll tell you they are shot regardless

prince1
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM

lol

dtthiaga
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
BMW stated 1/8 requirement, which is the same as 2/16 or 4/32.
They are strict as well, as it must be 1/8 across all thread grooves.

The MOT minimum tread depth is pass safety is 1.5mm or 2/32.

BMW requires 3mm or 4/32 (1/8 as stated on their website).
Basically, the want good tires back.

FYI. You can find used tires with 5-7/32 tire depth for around $30-$35/piece. These are great of lease returns. :)

Robb
01-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I would never lease a car nowadays. Since car makers are in need of cash, IMO,the car manufacturers are looking to make money on the car after you give it back...So they will be knit picky on everything and charge a rediculous amount of reconditioning cost!
*thmbsdwn*

Gamite
01-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I have about 5mm left, so I suppose I'm still good.

Gamite
01-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I would never lease a car nowadays. Since car makers are in need of cash, IMO,the car manufacturers are looking to make money on the car after you give it back...So they will be knit picky on everything and charge a rediculous amount of reconditioning cost!
*thmbsdwn*

Wow, I could have sworn I was asking about tire treads here, not if I should lease a car or not. Musta been another thread.

Qube
01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Wow, I could have sworn I was asking about tire treads here, not if I should lease a car or not. Musta been another thread.

You didn't get excess wear and tear negotiated into it? I wonder if it covers the tires...