PDA

View Full Version : Paint Bumper Question

doogee
01-21-2009, 12:07 PM
So I've had an m3 bumper sitting in the basement for half a year and finally finished sanding all the paint off and prepping.

Now I decided I'm just going to attempt the cheap route and get some paint from Cawthra and paint it myself.

Just wondering if it would be a bad idea to try to paint in this kind of weather. Should I wait until it gets warmer? Because I'd have to do it out in the garage.

also, if anyone has some input or pictures of their experience painting themselves that would be great.

328is
01-22-2009, 06:54 AM
If you paint below 10 C, the paint will not stick. And if you want to paint it with cans, the result will be ... discutable. This is even more true if it's the first time you do it.

If your bumper is ready for paint, why not try a bodyshop ? tell them that you are not rush to have it. They probably will do it at the same time as another one to share not the color, but the clear. It will cost you not mutch and you will have a profesionally done job !

doogee
01-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Ya I figured the temp would = fail.

I also had some time to sleep on it and decided I really should just get it done right the first time. Everywhere I go I get quoted $350 per bumper though.

But I know someone with a shop and spray booth who will do it for $175.

If you or anyone else has an recommendations for a good place to get it painted, let me know.

lvan
01-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Is there only on the bumper only or metal as well?

doogee
01-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Just the bumper

lvan
01-22-2009, 07:34 AM
To tell you the truth, if you have some skills, why not bring it in someone's apartment underground garage and do it. Yeah Body/Shop is the way to go but if you are paying less, it may look the same at the end.

doogee
01-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah the only reason I even thought about doing it is because I've seen the results people have had and they're usually next to impossible to tell from a professional job. Plus I'm good at painting.

Guess I have some thinking to do.