PDA

View Full Version : S52 Cams

DANIMAL
01-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Refinished prior to install (about 4000km's ago). These cams added about 10hp with no software on my engine.
Great mod, someone buy it!

Will post pics when they are out of the head.

$400.00 obo

doogee
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Curious, why did you decide to take them out?

e30_kid89
01-15-2009, 09:23 PM
curious, why did you decide to take them out?

+1...

DANIMAL
01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Well you guys won’t believe my story but here it is.

I hit a midget on the 407. Had he been taller, dwarf or just a regular short person, I’m sure the individual would have been swept over the hood of the car and reflected away allowing me to carry on with getting to work. This was unfortunately not the case and instead of reflecting off of the car he got stuck against the front bumper blocking all the airflow to the engine. Well we all know what happens to an E36 with no air flow. There was a build up of pressure in the upper rad hose and after about 5 mins there was so much pressure built up that it tore itself a 10inch tongue and released all of the coolant onto the midget who could be heard yelling as he was scolded. I pulled over to the side quickly, as per the midgets’ advice, and hit the four ways. Upon standing and walking back after a 100 foot launch the midget tells me to get a more reliable car. With a surprised look on my face I ask him; “what the hell he was doing in the middle of the highway?” He states that he needed a ride to work and that is how his people do it. Just that in the dark no one generally sees them. So with burns on half his body I say "you might want to go to a hospital, those are some fairly nasty burns." and he replies, "Thanks for the concern but because were only half the size of normal people it only takes half as long to heal." and continues on with "I’ll go pick up some polysporen and be tickity-boo by end of the day."

He says good bye and hops the median of the 403 and caught a ride on the front of a peterbuilt. I would tell you guys how they do it but I was threatened with death if I should give that secret away.

So essentially that is the first half of the story, about half an hour later and an infuriating opp encounter the flat bed shows up. We take the car to bimmersport and Charlie and the guys work furiously to replace the t-stat water pump, compression test(140, 100, 120, 100, 80, 140; 1 to 6 respectively) leakdown test, and refill the coolant. The coolant it would seem would not drain under pressure. The system would pressurise to 15psi but it would not hold. It seemed that the coolant was going somewhere else inside the block, combined with varying/low compression rates and disappearing oil it was decided that the HG was blown and rebuilding the motor would be just as costly as replacing it and would require much more time. So I decided to do the latter with an S52 and because I have yet to figure out how to run 4 cams at once, one day I will, I am selling the S52 set from the 2.8 head. They were refinished prior to install but I am not tearing apart a head that already has those cams in them.

archrival
01-16-2009, 10:43 AM
how much for the head with cams?

DANIMAL
01-16-2009, 12:12 PM
how much for the head with cams?

$550

Soul_Rebel
01-16-2009, 09:27 PM
well you guys won’t believe my story but here it is.

I hit a midget on the 407. Had he been taller, dwarf or just a regular short person, i’m sure the individual would have been swept over the hood of the car and reflected away allowing me to carry on with getting to work. This was unfortunately not the case and instead of reflecting off of the car he got stuck against the front bumper blocking all the airflow to the engine. Well we all know what happens to an e36 with no air flow. There was a build up of pressure in the upper rad hose and after about 5 mins there was so much pressure built up that it tore itself a 10inch tongue and released all of the coolant onto the midget who could be heard yelling as he was scolded. I pulled over to the side quickly, as per the midgets’ advice, and hit the four ways. Upon standing and walking back after a 100 foot launch the midget tells me to get a more reliable car. With a surprised look on my face i ask him; “what the hell he was doing in the middle of the highway?” he states that he needed a ride to work and that is how his people do it. Just that in the dark no one generally sees them. So with burns on half his body i say "you might want to go to a hospital, those are some fairly nasty burns." and he replies, "thanks for the concern but because were only half the size of normal people it only takes half as long to heal." and continues on with "i’ll go pick up some polysporen and be tickity-boo by end of the day."

he says good bye and hops the median of the 403 and caught a ride on the front of a peterbuilt. I would tell you guys how they do it but i was threatened with death if i should give that secret away.

So essentially that is the first half of the story, about half an hour later and an infuriating opp encounter the flat bed shows up. We take the car to bimmersport and charlie and the guys work furiously to replace the t-stat water pump, compression test(140, 100, 120, 100, 80, 140; 1 to 6 respectively) leakdown test, and refill the coolant. The coolant it would seem would not drain under pressure. The system would pressurise to 15psi but it would not hold. It seemed that the coolant was going somewhere else inside the block, combined with varying/low compression rates and disappearing oil it was decided that the hg was blown and rebuilding the motor would be just as costly as replacing it and would require much more time. So i decided to do the latter with an s52 and because i have yet to figure out how to run 4 cams at once, one day i will, i am selling the s52 set from the 2.8 head. They were refinished prior to install but i am not tearing apart a head that already has those cams in them.

lol wut!!!!!!!!

ShortShifter
01-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Best story ever...and I have also been a victim of these dwarfs....I have not suffered the same you have though...

Short buggers

doogee
01-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Damn that sucks.

Might pick them up, but I'm still debating whether to buy cams/software or get an S52 myself :confused:

DANIMAL
01-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Damn that sucks.

Might pick them up, but I'm still debating whether to buy cams/software or get an S52 myself :confused:

Not to try to sell these to you but honestly I would rather have rebuilt my 2.8 with some ti springs, new valves, etc than replace it with the 3.2. The issue for me was down time with the car. I had 190 and 190 out of that engine with no software, no underdrive pulleys, and without the M50. With those items I should have been around the peak hp and tq of a stock S52 anyways for much less money.

I console myself by saying that the S52 in the long run will always have 30 hp on the 2.8 with similar mods and a better hp/tq curves. For the same amount of money if I could have planned it, I could have just put in new valves, arp studs new HG and picked up a used S/C for about the same amount of money as a swap. Unfortunately right now I have no time to wait for the car.

doogee
01-17-2009, 04:03 PM
^^ yeah I was thinking the same last night. I'm putting out 198 whp just with the m50 manifold. Turns out I don't actually have software.

So I figure if I completely mod the 2.8, I'll have much more power than a stock S52.

I'll let you know if I decide to pick them up.

DANIMAL
01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
ttt

5style
01-18-2009, 11:41 PM

I hit a midget on the 407. Had he been taller, dwarf or just a regular short person, I’m sure the individual would have been swept over the hood of the car and reflected away allowing me to carry on with getting to work. This was unfortunately not the case and instead of reflecting off of the car he got stuck against the front bumper blocking all the airflow to the engine. Well we all know what happens to an E36 with no air flow. There was a build up of pressure in the upper rad hose and after about 5 mins there was so much pressure built up that it tore itself a 10inch tongue and released all of the coolant onto the midget who could be heard yelling as he was scolded. I pulled over to the side quickly, as per the midgets’ advice, and hit the four ways. Upon standing and walking back after a 100 foot launch the midget tells me to get a more reliable car. With a surprised look on my face I ask him; “what the hell he was doing in the middle of the highway?” He states that he needed a ride to work and that is how his people do it. Just that in the dark no one generally sees them. So with burns on half his body I say "you might want to go to a hospital, those are some fairly nasty burns." and he replies, "Thanks for the concern but because were only half the size of normal people it only takes half as long to heal." and continues on with "I’ll go pick up some polysporen and be tickity-boo by end of the day."

He says good bye and hops the median of the 403 and caught a ride on the front of a peterbuilt. I would tell you guys how they do it but I was threatened with death if I should give that secret away.

So essentially that is the first half of the story, about half an hour later and an infuriating opp encounter the flat bed shows up. We take the car to bimmersport and Charlie and the guys work furiously to replace the t-stat water pump, compression test(140, 100, 120, 100, 80, 140; 1 to 6 respectively) leakdown test, and refill the coolant. The coolant it would seem would not drain under pressure. The system would pressurise to 15psi but it would not hold. It seemed that the coolant was going somewhere else inside the block, combined with varying/low compression rates and disappearing oil it was decided that the HG was blown and rebuilding the motor would be just as costly as replacing it and would require much more time. So I decided to do the latter with an S52 and because I have yet to figure out how to run 4 cams at once, one day I will, I am selling the S52 set from the 2.8 head. They were refinished prior to install but I am not tearing apart a head that already has those cams in them.

what the crock?

DANIMAL
01-20-2009, 10:34 PM
ttt

prince1
01-20-2009, 10:56 PM

what the duece?? :confused:
lol

DANIMAL
01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
ttt

DANIMAL
01-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Bump, 375 with free M52 oil filter.

DANIMAL
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Bump for Pics:

Intake
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k222/320iguy/S52%20Cams/IMGP0051.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k222/320iguy/S52%20Cams/IMGP0053.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k222/320iguy/S52%20Cams/IMGP0054.jpg

Exhaust
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k222/320iguy/S52%20Cams/IMGP0058.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k222/320iguy/S52%20Cams/IMGP0059.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k222/320iguy/S52%20Cams/IMGP0060.jpg

maroli
02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
hey man are these the micro finished ones?

DANIMAL
02-24-2009, 10:31 PM
hey man are these the micro finished ones?

yep

doogee
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Ill be taking these off your hands soon. Maybe before wednesday since I'm having Bimmersport fix my vanos. Just gotta pony up a few more bucks.