PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts Pics

Dado 540
01-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Finally got around to replacing the engine mounts. Wow i didnt know they were this bad. Photos speak for themselves I only took the photo of the passenger side as the driver side was completely split into two. 98' 540i

Dado 540
01-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I appologise for the huge photographs!

MLue1
01-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I appologise for the huge photographs!
You replaced them good for you! The left side ones are prone to seperating because they get tugged on when you accelerate hard. It can result in the breaking/cracking of the upper hose mount on the rad or the fan making contact with the fan shroud.

dodoamore
01-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Good work, thanks for sharing., something to always keep an eye on....

chromius
01-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Damn. What were your symptoms?

I'm going to be changing mine soon because I suspect they are shot.

Dado 540
01-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I suspected them for a while. I felt some vibrations throughout the whole car. I first suspected the tires and done numerous balancing and alignments. What gave it away in final stage was the oil leak right from passenger side mount. At first i thought "great engine is leaking" so i put a cup under the leak (so the driveway doesnt get stained) and collected the oil over night and it was much darker. It was then i realized that they were shot!

Please keep in mind that oil used in engine mounts is poisonous, avoid touching with bare hands.

Whole repair took about and hour and a half. One thing i did wrong was, when i was jacking the engine, i heard a crack! My body went cold, thinking to myself damn what did i just snap. After i was done, looked over the whole engine and nothing. So i decided to wipe the engine a bit and as i was wiping the plastic cover thats on top of the radiator and above the fan, i notice a small crack. Reallized then that as i was lifting the engine the fan blade hit it and caused a small 3/4 inch crack. No bigge not even noticable.

So heads up when you do your mounts watch the fan blades!

chromius
01-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Cool, thanks for the info.

Pinto009
01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
good job man mine looked worse than that the pass side was easy the driver side was a bit harder but really makes a difference with the new ones on thanks to mule1 for the references

Guilherme
02-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Whoa, that mount looks like as if it was about to seize. Good job Dado, I wish I had the knowledge and skills to do this kind of maintenance by myself. How did you learn it btw? Bentley manuals or something?

Dado 540
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
There's really nothing to it. You can pretty much do all repairs yourself, if you have access to the tools. I was lucky that i had acccess to a lift over the weekend, but you can do most of the work at home on your driveway. DIY helped alot. Before you do any work serach the DIYs first so you have and idea, and warning signs of what could go wrong...for example my plastic cracking. And even if you dont know just try it its the only way you will learn.

MLue1
02-18-2009, 11:57 PM
good job man mine looked worse than that the pass side was easy the driver side was a bit harder but really makes a difference with the new ones on thanks to mule1 for the references You're welcome!