PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much for paint?

spoony_prelude
01-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey guys, well I've been looking around going from shop to shop getting quotes on how much it's going to run me to paint my vert before the spring. so far I've gotten from $3000 all the way up to $7000. Although I want the best possible finish im debating whether my car is worthy of a 7g paint job? I've put a lot of time and money into the car and don't want to be dissapointed with the bodywork. What do you guys think is a decent price?

And btw here is what I''ve described to the body shops of the work I want done.

Complete refinish: all windows out moldings door handles hood, trunk lid, bumpers....

Remove and repair rust under the car. It seams e36's have 2 levels of floor? well my bottm level has rusted threw in 2 spots 1 under the driver seat and 1 under the pass seat, small holes though. ( size of baseball)

pull fenders out a little to home my soon to be refinished 18'RS.

I want original Shawrz11 Black but I want it to be one shiney mofo!

thats all i can think of for now...

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Jay

simplycars
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
proper paint job will run you around 4-8k.
rust repair and so on will add to the cost.
also once you start to remove parts you will find out that you need to buy some as well.

i worked on an old MB from 1970s that was to be completely restored.
once the interior was removed, customer said to patch up the holes in the floor, paint the floor with rust paint and drove away :-)

MiroE36
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
The quotes don't seem excessive considering the additional bodywork involved. I'm also going to warn you, this is one aspect of modification you really should take your time on and make sure that you are 100% satisfied with the terms, the shop and the people handling your precious vert. A paint job alone that is under 1500 will be an almost certain dissapointment. Make sure that you get numerous quotes in writing if possible. Also review the terms of a potential agreement within each quote such as guarantee for work, associated warranties and rust protection. If they are not willing to back their work don't deal with them no matter how sweet the deal might be. And do t let anyone tell you that no paint and bodywork is backed by shops because that is bullshit. IMO only crooks pull that shit. Anyway best of luck to you and I hop that you make the most infoed the decision. Personally I can't wait to see the end result, make sure you post pictures!!!

Mystikal
01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't spent $7k on a rusty chassis.

Blades
01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
proper can be done under $6k .. what did European AutoBody quote you?

e30bim
01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Why not just shop around for a cabrio with better paint than yours?

JMW
01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
6-8 grand for good paint.

Manimillion
01-13-2009, 03:12 PM
You get what you paid for. Is the only answer to this thread.

INFAMOU$
01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Make sure you consider how important this paint job really is to you! Most average people cannot tell the difference between a 3k job and a 6k job... so if you decide to sell.. is the loss of the 3k worth it to you? In my opinion a 6k paint job is pointless if it's your every day driver.. unless she is a garage queen / show car with no intent to be sold etc etc.. there is no reason to put a perfect paint job on it..

Blades
01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
6-8 grand for good paint.

even House of Kolor does cost that much and they have great quality paint and products.

BMW BMXer
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Really, nothing its too much for a good job.

But you can overpay for a shitty job.

Most places try not to back up rust repair so they can cut corners.

spoony_prelude
01-13-2009, 05:16 PM
thanks for all the replies guys and to answer a few questions...

Blades, havent gone to european autobody yet.. Custom Coaches and dupont auto collision( high end shop down here in toronto) quoted me 7gs both although what worries me is these guys work on ferrari's, lambos, Range rovers, porsches on a daily basis. Whats the chances they will take the time and do a good job on my car.?

e30bim: I thought about that but then what, transfer everything i have in my vert into the next one?

MiroE36: every shop ive gone to ive explained exactl what I want done and to what standerds. I've told all of them i wont pay until the job is done right. I dont care if they need 2 months on the car i just want it done right. I'll deff post pics when its done!

Mystikal: 18" BBS RS:P

spoony_prelude
01-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Infamous: Well to be completely honest with you I dont know if im going to keep this car forever. i highly doubt it. Thats another part that worries me. Even if I dump 6gs into the paint, ill be lucky if I get 10 for the whole car if i sell it. and theres no point getting a mint paint job for someone else to enjoy! I do love the car but im not sure if im willing to spend that much on paint:S

BMW BMXERim worried about taking my car to a high end shop because for example, talking to the owner of custom coaches he was telling me he charged a guy 4gs to redo a fender on a ferrari (not sure of model) so i start thinking, you charged that guy 4gs for a fender which you could do in a day. how great of a job are you going to do on my car when ill be paying a little bit more then that, and itll take him a month to redo my car?

Jay

ericdalinda
01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
take a the 6 g's... put it into a G.I.C at your local bank.. take the acrued intrest and put it into the stock market..

then take what ever money your gona spend on the E36 and put it into the G.I.C which will give you higher returns on the intrest... then take THAT intrest and give it to me.. which i will then put in a savings account. and save up enough money for a plane ticket and buy in at the World Series of Poker. main event.. ($10,000)

Ill then play and win 9 million first place ....
i will then give you 6 million dollars.

ill take my 3 million... and buy a shit load of....

Coke, Hookers, Beer, Scotch, Weed, Guns, Hookers, ....

rinse and repeat. intill i have no money left or i die....

or you can spend 6 grand on a paint job.

spoony_prelude
01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
take a the 6 g's... put it into a G.I.C at your local bank.. take the acrued intrest and put it into the stock market..

then take what ever money your gona spend on the E36 and put it into the G.I.C which will give you higher returns on the intrest... then take THAT intrest and give it to me.. which i will then put in a savings account. and save up enough money for a plane ticket and buy in at the World Series of Poker. main event.. ($10,000)

Ill then play and win 9 million first place ....
i will then give you 6 million dollars.

ill take my 3 million... and buy a shit load of....

Coke, Hookers, Beer, Scotch, Weed, Guns, Hookers, ....

rinse and repeat. intill i have no money left or i die....

or you can spend 6 grand on a paint job.

or how about SHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT AAAAAAPPPP:moon: lol

Jay

Fe9L
01-13-2009, 07:41 PM
If you are keeping your car and you really care about it and know that you wont get sick of it, its worth every penny. 7-8 grand sounds like a reasonable amount for the work you want.

Good luck

BMW325IS
01-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I would say sell the car and save more money to go for a e46 m3 ..but that's just me..6G for paint ...umm....if you drive it every day and in winter too, DON'T DO IT!

spoony_prelude
01-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I would say sell the car and save more money to go for a e46 m3 ..but that's just me..6G for paint ...umm....if you drive it every day and in winter too, DON'T DO IT!

It's not a daily driver (at least not anymore) It's been parked for about a month and a half now. Now that i have my beater/DD Audi 90. The vert will only be out and about on those clear blue beautiful nights And sunshineing days. I love cruising at night with it, top down cool breeze*mw* I cant wait!

Jay

BMW BMXer
01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
When I was going to get my truck painted I got quoted 6 grand, and I was willing to pay it for a truck worth less than 2 grand. Because it was something I always wanted to do.

Try and pay as much as you are comfertable with (within reason) and just make sure to research the shop. Keeping in mind that in your case (with the rust repair and what not) anything under 3k probably won't get you the results you need/want.

Alternatively you could make a project out of it and DIY it properly (rent a booth/gun/etc

simplycars
01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Here is some advice as it is done when restorations are done:
1. take the car to the bodyshop - have it stripped, have rust/body repaired, have it primed (use primer to be compatible with already selected paint)
2. wait 3-6 months with the car in primer for any problems to show - rust will eat through during that time if not taken care of.
3. take the car back to have it painted

328is
01-14-2009, 07:31 AM
^^ this is the worst idea to do !

The paint itself and the clear are part of the protection. You cannot keep just the primer on because it's too soft and don't offer proper protection. The primer offer the best protection under it not over it.

It's sad that you stay (or i stay) so far because i have my own bodyshop. With the amount of work you want to do, i would stay away of anything under 4500$ but 8 gran is a little over the top i think.

The removing off everything is part of the job and if someone tells you the other way, run away from them ! like the reparation of the rust (it's the purpose of painting the car !)

Finaly, the only modification you want to do is rolling your fender. This you have to take a shop that is confortable with that since "normal" bodyshop don't do this and are not equip for it. Or you can take your car to a place to roll your fender and do the rest of the bodywork elwere if you want. Either of the shop are not oblige to know that you will do some work elsewere ...

hope that help a bit.

dtthiaga
01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Since this is a convertible (No roof to paint) I really wouldn't spend more that $3000-$3500 on a paint job. $6K or more, I would just buy a newer car (E46).

The rust repair, or the amount of it, is really what will define the final range. Cutting and putting new metal is the only way to fix it, but it's still no guarantee. No one will provide an absolute guarantee on rust repair.

The best thing you can do is, look at cars that were recently painted. This will clearly indicate what their work is like. Telling them what you “expect” and won’t pay until you’re happy will most likely flag you as a difficult customer, and they may not want to work with you.

The bodyshop I use, for $3500 would do a job that is 95%-98% of that of European Body Shop for example, which is probably in the $6000.00 range. It wouldn’t be worth it for me to spend the extra $$$ on an older car.

dtthiaga
01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Here is some advice as it is done when restorations are done:
1. take the car to the bodyshop - have it stripped, have rust/body repaired, have it primed (use primer to be compatible with already selected paint)
2. wait 3-6 months with the car in primer for any problems to show - rust will eat through during that time if not taken care of.
3. take the car back to have it painted

Leaving the car in primer is really bad. It will rust for sure.
I wouldn't do it.

Just fix the rust the first time. Acid dip it, or media blast it.
Then seal the car properly and paint it.

hellrot_M3
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
spoony_prelude,

i know a great body shop that does great work. they worked on my m3 fixing a bit of rust on my rocker and did a great job. i inquired about a full paint job and they quoted me at $2800. this includes taking everything window out, every light off and soo on. if you are interested pm me.

cheers
derek

propr'one
01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Spoony,

Do your own prep work. Find a shop you can work with. All you really need is someone who can lay paint well. If you take everything off, tape everything off, you can drop the price of a paintjob at least 1000$. It is possible to get an OK paint job for under 2K if you put in 50 hours of your own work prepping the car.

Once the car is done, especially if the painter wasn't perfect, expect to spend lots of time polishing the clear on the car to get the shine.

bmwm5lover
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
This is a really difficult situation to be in, one I am similarly in.
I DD My M5 from April until End of October. That mean ~7 months of road debris, rock chips, parking lot dings, etc. My car does require a few touch ups here and there, ones I am thinking of getting repaired instead of dumping about 3K on a paintjob, becuase I know, the first few scrapes and bruises will make me want to kill someone.
Think about it this way.
How does your paint shine up now? How badly worn is the paint?
Mine(gloss black) shines unbelievably, but it needs a professional to spend a few hours with a buffer to get it looking mint.
So what will I be doing? Get the areas in need of repair, repaired, take it to a detailer and have him do the whole car properly(clay, cut, polish). Total cost will be aboit 8-900$ and I can guarantee you for about 90% of the population(inlcuding myself), it will be as if I had it just repainted, without having to worry about the next chip in the paint, thanks to some idiot who doesn't know how to merge and ends up in the emergency shoulder, spewing crap everywhere.

Something to consider, but I would definitely, at the very least, get the rusty areas patched. That shouldn't cost more than a few hundred.
On that note, I am getting some preventative/needed maintenance done before the car comes out on the road, and that will take a huge chunk of the money for "fun stuff" out of the budget. It is uncertain times, so careful how you spend your hard earned dineros.

spoony_prelude
01-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! your opinions and suggestions are really helping out!!!

now for the replies. lol

dtthiaga: whats the name of the body shop you deal with? Quality of work?

hellrot M3: Thanks for the suggestion man but for 2800 they must be cheaping out at some stage, wheather its in the materials (paint, body filler...etc) or in prepping costs but for the job i want i know thats way to low of a price.

Propr'one: Although i think it would be fun as hell and i really would enjoy doing the work on my car (I did all the work on my e30 and a little on the e36) I'm kind of reluctant to attack the body of the car. I was the car to be done perfectly and i would rather have someone with lots of experience doing the work.

bmwm5Lover: See heres the deal Terry. I went to racing trends (max member) during the summer and we spent about 2 hours polishing the car with the high speed buffer he has, and the car came out spectacular! The next day I passed by tims and a guys i know there who works at his father body shop, stood up and asked a few of my friends if i had painted my car. So from 10ft away the car is perfect. But i have a lot of small stone chips. rust starting on the 1/4 panels. small spots here and there that I really want to take care of! So polishing the car just wont cut it!

Thanks again guys
More opnions always welcome!
Jay

Fel
01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Based on what you said about the buff up making the paint look nearly new, how much effort would it take to touch up? If it really polishes up nice, I'd say spend a fraction of the money and get the chips filled, get the rust taken care of, and blend the sucker. Gloss black is easier to blend than a lot of other colours... but then again, it's a matter of the paint's condition over the entire body. If it was jsut the nose and 1/4s that needed work, it's a more viable option... if it's all over the whole car, might as well jsut paint the sucker. Just my opinion though...

Good luck finding a good place, a good paint job makes all the difference in the world! Make sure they take the time and care... take steps to prevent orange peel, if the shop is willing... when my e30 was painted, the shop wetsanded the whole car, primed it, and then sanded again and buffed it before paining... the primer was shiny! The end result was much nicer than any stock car, very very little orange peel. But time is money, so let your wallet decide.

AceOfSpades
01-14-2009, 09:07 PM
if you don't plan on keeping the car, don't spend that much money on the paintjob.
Sell your vert, take that money and the other $6K that you were about to spend and maybe some extra $$$ and then buy a clean/mint one!

King Luis
01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
You get what you paid for. Is the only answer to this thread.

well said.

carstar for my e30 wanted $5000 to repair a little rust in on each rocker panel, complete removal of all windows, trim, etc. then paint.

commodore64
01-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I have had about 10 cars painted at various shops in the GTA, just recently a friend had recommended a shop in Brampton (Phoenix Customs). They take the time to let you know what you need, let me look at all the equipment and vehicles they work on. All the work they perform has a nice lifetime warranty.

They did a fantastic job on my car and I have sent many friends with high end cars to get work done.

Best shop period (and yes you get what you pay for)

PS ... On the flip side a few years back I took my S.S to have paint done at a shop in Scarborough (Midland / Lawrence) I did a full strip / color change (and was happy when he only charged me 2800. 7 months in and all my paint was stripping off and rust was building up on various parts of the car (I think his name was Bala) Tamil guy, when I took the car back "magically" a new owner had taken over.

good luck

spoony_prelude
01-15-2009, 02:08 PM
well said.

carstar for my e30 wanted $5000 to repair a little rust in on each rocker panel, complete removal of all windows, trim, etc. then paint.

Wheres this carstar place?

Jay

BMW BMXer
01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
it's a chain http://www.carstar.ca/eng/index.aspx

For what its worth I think this thread has been more informative than any

"you get what you pay for" answer.

Blades
01-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I have had about 10 cars painted at various shops in the GTA, just recently a friend had recommended a shop in Brampton (Phoenix Customs). They take the time to let you know what you need, let me look at all the equipment and vehicles they work on. All the work they perform has a nice lifetime warranty.

They did a fantastic job on my car and I have sent many friends with high end cars to get work done.

Best shop period (and yes you get what you pay for)

PS ... On the flip side a few years back I took my S.S to have paint done at a shop in Scarborough (Midland / Lawrence) I did a full strip / color change (and was happy when he only charged me 2800. 7 months in and all my paint was stripping off and rust was building up on various parts of the car (I think his name was Bala) Tamil guy, when I took the car back "magically" a new owner had taken over.

good luck

I had my MX6 painted there .. bodykit, prime work, and paint cost me $5000 for this beautiful candy red that no one else seen (now on Paul's project kit car :D)

Mystikal
01-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Mystikal: 18" BBS RS:P

Baller wheels doesn't make the patched holes in the floor any better.

Telling you right now, you're better off buying a clean car from the sunbelt and getting a basic respray on that if you want it perfect. You're never going to stop that rust.

spoony_prelude
01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Baller wheels doesn't make the patched holes in the floor any better.

Telling you right now, you're better off buying a clean car from the sunbelt and getting a basic respray on that if you want it perfect. You're never going to stop that rust.

Jay I completely agree with your opinion. Theres nothing better then starting a project off with a clean shell. I think about it, but I really dont want to have to have all the work of bringing in a shell, and start swapping everything over. Yes I could sell my car and buy a real M, But I've done way to much to this car for me to part with it. I'm in one of those stupid situations, where I know I'm better off getting another shell, rather then fixing this one, but yet I can't get myself to do it.

I've began thinking of methods to be able to afford a better quality job on the body and I've decided instead of paying the $1000 to have the RS refinished, I'm going to tackle the job! Ive read up a bunch of DIY forums (mostly VW) and I'm confident I can pull it off! And yes there will be a thread on the restoration of them*th-up*

BTW anyone have a link to polishing metal?

Thanks
Jay

bmwm5lover
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Since you are gonna be tackling the work on your RS's yourself(which I think is an incredible idea), I will post a few links for you when I get home.

spoony_prelude
01-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Since you are gonna be tackling the work on your RS's yourself(which I think is an incredible idea), I will post a few links for you when I get home.

Thanks Terry I really appreciate it man!*th-up*

Jay