PDA

View Full Version : Crack in bumper...

Qube
01-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Cracked front bumper near fender at the mount. About 2.5 inches long. Where to get it fixed in a day in the GTA? No painting needed.

Qube
01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Screw it, I'll fix it myself :) Now how and what to fix it with...

Suggestions welcome!

dbworld4k
01-11-2009, 11:06 PM
What the shit did you do?

doogee
01-12-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm not quite seeing what happened or whats cracked by the pics.

But I'm sure Bondo makes something you can use like a fibreglass kit to patch it up from behind.

slimjim
01-12-2009, 01:00 AM
what i would do.....take the bummper off, fiberglass it from underneath to have a smooth surface, and then bondo over the crack. u could also dremel a groove along the crack and then use bondo to fill in the groove...but still use the fiber glass. the groove is just so the bondo layer isnt so thin that it might just crack over time.

edit, better yet, fill the crack with fiber glass resin and sand that down instead of the bondo...much stronger.

Eurostyle
01-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Firberglass or and most resins wont stick to plastic, and will crack very fast...Bondo is just a joke...No filler sticks well to plastic. I can tell you what works on it, but the smallest amount you can buy is over $100...Or i can do it for $75!

Trouble65
01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Plastic weld. Your local auto body shop carries the product.

team_ottawa
01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
yea i was just gonna say u can get a plastic repair kit made of the product and a harder i know where u can get it in hamilton but not toronto

5thseries
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Body filler.. sand that bitch and pant it. =)

86coupe30
01-12-2009, 09:52 PM
apparently there is stuff at napa that is plastic filler.. its like a 2 part epoxy you mix and it sets like body fill or epoxy.. you can sand it like regular plastic too apparently.. if i were you i would get a small driill bit and drill 2 tiny holes at the very ends of the cracks, all that does is if there is still flex in that part of the bumper it wont let the crack continue. and i mean really small like pencil dot small.. and then put masking tape behind the crack after bevelling it off and use said product.. i forget the name of the product though.. *thmbsdwn*

Qube
01-12-2009, 11:12 PM
The drill hole idea is neat. I'll try and use that. I picked up Plastic Weld at Canadian Tire. It rang up more than the tag at the register, so I got it for free :)

Trouble65
01-13-2009, 06:04 AM
The drill hole idea is neat. I'll try and use that. I picked up Plastic Weld at Canadian Tire. It rang up more than the tag at the register, so I got it for free :)

Don't buy plastic weld from Canadian Tire. Go to your nearest autobody supply store. Trust me on this one.

Trouble65
01-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Body filler.. sand that bitch and pant it. =)

You are joking, right.

Body fill a crack, it wont last more then a few days if he is lucky.