PDA

View Full Version : Thinking to buy a X5?

2005BMW325xi
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi there I need your feedbacks,

Ok so I own a e46 right now and I am thinking to trade it in for a X5 the one that caught my eyes is the 2005 BMW X5 4.4i Sport Utility 4D (Black on Black) automatic, All Wheel Drive, V8 4.4 Liter. I need to know what the pros and cons are...I know its like almost $100 to fill gas in the tank but I need to know everything I need to know before I make the steps to purchase one.

Thank you

Gamite
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
X5's have fairly good reliability ratings according to Consumer Reports. We have the 3.0, and the only problems we experience were minor problems with window calibration and one with the steering wheel switches.

The 4.4 will probably suffer from the same problem as all 4.4's, as when they get old, the plastic rad necks at the top tend to snap, just keep an eye out for leaks.

The X5 is a heavy car, the 4.4 does a great job pushing it, but you will suffer at the pumps.

MiroE36
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
what a beauty you have your eyes on!!

From what I've read X5's are very reliable and stable (in corners, so you don't have to worry bout rolling). Also their 4wd system hold's it's own in comparison tests. There was a drivetrain test done up a ski hill somewhere in germany and the top 3 cars were the 1. Audi Quattro Allroad, 2. BMW X5, 3. Toyota 4runner (or is it Nissan 4runner, whichever). This test did not include any land rovers tho

Blades
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Pro: its a BMW

Con: its made in America .. unlike other BMW's that are made in Germany .. scratch Pro

Oyster
01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I had an e46 xi
I was looking into the X5 too.

Go on youtube and search X5 offroad.

Once you see those clips of X5 stuck in snow or mud, then you might want to rethink your purchase

Gamite
01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Pro: its a BMW

Con: its made in America .. unlike other BMW's that are made in Germany .. scratch Pro

as long as it keeps the standards that it uses in Germany, I don't believe this is an issue. It was still designed and uses the same materials as German made ones.

Gamite
01-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I had an e46 xi
I was looking into the X5 too.

Go on youtube and search X5 offroad.

Once you see those clips of X5 stuck in snow or mud, then you might want to rethink your purchase

Which is why you don't buy a BMW to offroad. With my all seasons, even with our rediculous snow falls, I have never been stuck in snow. So I don't think you have to worry about that.

T.Dot_E30
01-08-2009, 02:36 PM
They are alright, but boring to drive.

The 3.0s are not as bad as people make them out to be, i get pretty good gas mileage. But the 4.4 definately has more kick.

My parents like it more than i do, they'll probably end up buying it off me. I think i'll be happier in an e46 coupe.

MiroE36
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
ofcourse you'll be happier in a e46, because e46 is happier going sideways :D

Gamite
01-08-2009, 03:43 PM
X5 going sideways in the snow is pretty sick in itself. :)

Blades
01-08-2009, 03:50 PM
as long as it keeps the standards that it uses in Germany, I don't believe this is an issue. It was still designed and uses the same materials as German made ones.

yes but that means nothing .. how its put together and quality control is what makes the difference. Im sure the parts they use are made here as well and not in Germany.

Look at the Ecotech engine .. pretty damn reliable in Europe .. no so much here :D

Gamite
01-08-2009, 03:57 PM
If you read what I said "As long as they keep the standards" means as long as they keep build standards like they have in germany, which is in reference to quality control.

X5 has one of the higher reliability ratings of all BMW's according to consumer reports. So it looks like they are. So in this case, being built in the US is not affecting it, which makes your comment irrelevant.

And.. parts are made in germany.

Blades
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
If you read what I said "As long as they keep the standards" means as long as they keep build standards like they have in germany, which is in reference to quality control.

X5 has one of the higher reliability ratings of all BMW's according to consumer reports. So it looks like they are. So in this case, being built in the US is not affecting it, which makes your comment irrelevant.

And.. parts are made in germany.

I've worked for the auto industry .. it would cost to much to send a bucket of bolts or nuts (or any other assembled parts) from germany then to make it local and ship it. Auto industry tries to cut there costs .. I dont believe they would send anything from germany except specifics to the BMW brand .. everything else Magna, Faurecia, etc

I would like to see this consumer report you talk about.

Gamite
01-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Lots of parts get shipped over all the time. Where do you think all the replacement parts come from?

X5 shares the same engine and many parts from other cars, all of which are made in Germany.

The consumer report I may have made a mistake, it was X3 not X5, which is outsourced to Magna

Gamite
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Since this is a thread about buying an X5, here's the X5 report.

Gamite
01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
and to prove to Blades that American built BMW's aren't affected in the quality department, here's the Z4 which also is built in the same plant that the X5 is built.

Dado 540
01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I work for Magna, and we import certain disk brakes form Germany, and E-brake cables from China. They go on a GM vehicle. So i would not be suprised if bmw parts are imported. Like Gamite said the standard plays a cruical part in automitve industry. All plants MUST be ISO and TS certified otherwise you will not get the business. All suppliers to BMW MUST follow BMWs building standarts and testing(FMEA, PPAP, etc) The metal composition must be what even bmw requests. Quality inspection must be the same as in germany.

As for the X5... i was thinking of trading my 540i. So i took an X5 for a test ride, and man what a heavy ride compared to the E39 540i. Same engine size 4.4L but one will work harder LOL!

Blades
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I dont believe the Z4 was made in north america .. to my understanding it was just the SUV's and I heard bad things about the X5 (comparing to the other BMW's that are made in germany its lacking in reliability) which shows in the consumer reports.

ChrisTO
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
what is your definition of fairly good reliability ratings? CR put black dots for most of the years for the 4.4.

X5's have fairly good reliability ratings according to Consumer Reports. We have the 3.0, and the only problems we experience were minor problems with window calibration and one with the steering wheel switches.

Gamite
01-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I dont believe the Z4 was made in north america .. to my understanding it was just the SUV's and I heard bad things about the X5 (comparing to the other BMW's that are made in germany its lacking in reliability) which shows in the consumer reports.

Z4 is also built in spartanburg North Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z4

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/08/31/the-last-bmw-z4-built-at-spartanburg-plant/

Actually the X3 isn't built in the US, it's built in Austria. Only X5, X6 and Z4 are built in Spartanburg.

what is your definition of fairly good reliability ratings? CR put black dots for most of the years for the 4.4.

Read post #14

Blades
01-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Z4 is also built in spartanburg North Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z4

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/08/31/the-last-bmw-z4-built-at-spartanburg-plant/

Actually the X3 isn't built in the US, it's built in Austria. Only X5, X6 and Z4 are built in Spartanburg.

you should quote wikipedia unless its simple information as it can be inaccurate. Anyone can write or add to wiki.

As for the X3 .. if its not made in the US no wonder its getting a better rating then X5. It just proving my point a little more.

Build the same car in China, America, or Europe your going to get different results and thats the point im trying to make.

TNation
01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
My Dad works for the company that does the food servicing for the Spartanburg, North Carolina BMW plant. They made the Z4 at the Spartanburg plant until 2008.
See here: http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/08/31/the-last-bmw-z4-built-at-spartanburg-plant/
And the Z4 was recommended. My parents had an 03 X5 3.0 Prem. + Sport packages, NO PROBLEMS whatsoever, an aux fan died and that was it. They put 34xxxkm in one year on it, no issues at all, only spent $400 on maintainence on it besides three oil changes ($120 a change). Great SUV.
they're looking to buy an 05 or 06 now.. I do have a question, why is the Audio system rated terribly? It was absolutely amazing in their 3.0 and we never had any issues.. that makes no sense. Does it fail lots?

Gamite
01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Build the same car in China, America, or Europe your going to get different results and thats the point im trying to make.

This is true, but you should not completely rule out the car base solely on the fact that it was built in the states. Generalization is never a good thing.

you should quote wikipedia unless its simple information as it can be inaccurate. Anyone can write or add to wiki.

I know wiki is not 100% accurate, which is why I put two links to two different sites.

E36White
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
so between a 4.4/4.8 and a 3.0 which is more reliable? performance and mpg aside.

im looking into an x5 come spring/summer and i cant make up my mind! they seem to go for around the same price so dont mind that either.

or a x3 3.0?

which has the least (to none) engine/tranny/suspension issues? this might be going overseas so i'd like to minimize dealership visits lol

tominizer
02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
We have an '02 X5 3.0i. It's served us very well. It's also had some issues that came forth after the waranttee expired........... like the dreaded oil seperator valve/hydrolock and a leaking power steering rack. But for the most part, it's been a champ. I've pulled a car back on a trailer with it from the USA without any issues, loaded it to the titties to go camping, hauled sh-t-loads of building supplies, etc, etc. It's been good to us. Yeah, the 3.0i doesn't haul azz like the bigger brothers, but it does very nicely.

TNation
02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
We have an '02 X5 3.0i. It's served us very well. It's also had some issues that came forth after the waranttee expired........... like the dreaded oil seperator valve/hydrolock and a leaking power steering rack. But for the most part, it's been a champ. I've pulled a car back on a trailer with it from the USA without any issues, loaded it to the titties to go camping, hauled sh-t-loads of building supplies, etc, etc. It's been good to us. Yeah, the 3.0i doesn't haul azz like the bigger brothers, but it does very nicely.

they're great, hey.

E36White
02-05-2009, 04:20 PM

I see..well there wont be any hauling where it's going ..no highways either..daily driving within city limits that why i'm leaning more towards the 3.0 - problem is they look so skinny compared to the 4.4i duno why .. aside from the wheels/tires do they have different bumpers front and back?

i read around and the 4.4i seems to have more issues than the 3.0 - keep in mind im considering a 2005-2006 model.

ur feedback is appreciated though..thanks

TNation
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I see..well there wont be any hauling where it's going ..no highways either..daily driving within city limits that why i'm leaning more towards the 3.0 - problem is they look so skinny compared to the 4.4i duno why .. aside from the wheels/tires do they have different bumpers front and back?

i read around and the 4.4i seems to have more issues than the 3.0 - keep in mind im considering a 2005-2006 model.

ur feedback is appreciated though..thanks

my parents are looking at the same one, 05-06 X5. Go for the 3.0 and get the Premium and sport package. Looks great, and is much more reliable.

T.Dot_E30
02-05-2009, 04:50 PM
One less thing to worry about on the 3.0 is no self-leveling rear suspenion, just regular shocks, which was a problem on the bigger brothers.

damameke
02-05-2009, 07:13 PM
"leaking power steering rack"

2 friends of mine, OWNED x5, a 2002 and 2003 and both has that same issue and the steering column vibrates.

Its so ironic that I was asking a lady(stranger) today in a parking lot about her x5 and she told me.. no problem at all.. its a 2004.. so go figure...

qimis
02-12-2009, 05:52 AM
I might be selling mine next month: 2001 3.0 black on black, premium pckg, milage just turned 110,000km.

T.Dot_E30
02-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I might be selling mine next month: 2001 3.0 black on black, premium pckg, milage just turned 110,000km.

Yea same here.

tominizer
02-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Funny, I'm thinking about selling ours too. Mind you, ours is all sorted out. The stuff that can happen has and as been taken care of. Then I added some nice OEM 19" (pull-offs). So I'm sitting on the fence as to keep it or not. For the most part, my wife has driven it............. and I don't think she's be happy not having in in the garage. But with that being said, I have part of me set on a 3-series wagon in 5-spd............. out of the USA

Carlos12
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Hmm recently ive been also looking to get an x5 my budget is max 18k if anyone knows that is selling one please let me know. I'm planing to get one 02-05 between those years but i want a 4.0or higher more likely gonna use it just for the summer. According to all of you what year is the most reliable car for me to get??? im undecided help thank you guys