PDA

View Full Version : too much condensation

MiroE36
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey guys,

I need help... well atleast I think I do.

I've owned a 1988 gti prior to my bmw and have driven 3 cars that my mom has owned prior to me having my own car. Bunch of Fords.

Anyway... my bmw, so far since I've had it, has maddly fogged up windows... My windows always fog up, they fogged up back in October when I got the car and are still doing so to present. This morning I was driving and I saw another E36 and his windows were just like mine LOL... anyway, there is just too much fog, and the only way I can get rid of it is by putting the heater on to atleast 2, and even then, the back half of my car is still totally fogged up to the point where I cannot see my blindspots. And if I put it on 1, then all the windows fog up, at 0 its the same. At 3 or 4 it's just tooo bloody hot and I can't stand it.

Is this supposed to be that way??? The GTI and the Fords never had this problem, those car's never fogged up. Or if they did it was like once every blue moon, and even then, the heater at 1 would clear up the car nicely.

Seeing that other bmw today made me laugh cuz I figured someone else was feeling my pain, but now i'm worried that this is how it is... Help??

Can I do something to prevent it??

prince1
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
use the de fogger
mine dont fog up
well a little but the de fogger takes car of it
and keep ur blower on

MiroE36
01-07-2009, 02:14 PM
by de fogger do you mean for the wear windshield?? at what setting do you keep your blower at?

Dado 540
01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I think that you might have an issue with the air circulation. Usualy there is an option if you want the car to reuse the cabin air (thats already in the car) or take air from outside. You setting should be set for the car to take air from outside. Pay attention to the weather conditions when you do get condensation, is it raining or realy moisty outside? That's when you are most likely to get condensation, especially if the air is being recirculated from the cabin (interior). I hope this helps.

prince1
01-07-2009, 02:28 PM
ya for both
the blower setting which blows the air directly onto the windshield

MiroE36
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I think that you might have an issue with the air circulation. Usualy there is an option if you want the car to reuse the cabin air (thats already in the car) or take air from outside. You setting should be set for the car to take air from outside. Pay attention to the weather conditions when you do get condensation, is it raining or realy moisty outside? That's when you are most likely to get condensation, especially if the air is being recirculated from the cabin (interior). I hope this helps.

It happens no matter what it's like outside, naturally it fogs up more tho during rain. The little circle arrow thing which should mean that air is being circulated in the cabin is always off.

doogee
01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Try some Fog-X or any anti-fog treatment. I think they have a bunch of that kind of stuff at CDN Tire

Qube
01-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Is it water or coolant? Any smells go with it? Perhaps you have a plugged drain somewhere causing excess moisture.

Gamite
01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
You have too much moisture buildup in your cabin. If you have a garage, leave your windows open for the night, you will notice a significant decrease. I usually leave my windows open in the garage during the summer.

Dado 540
01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
+1 Qube. Somethings gotta be restricting the air flow.

I dont know about that Fog-X, im not sure if it leaves a film. I read somewhere that someone used Rain-X on their windshield, and overtime turned into this yellow film. Guy had to replace the windshield.

Damn, every time i leave windows down in my garage, the car gets full of dust.

Harry
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
a bad heater core would leave a fog on the windows though the fog is antifreeze and not water. This will not go away without a replacement core and a detailing thereafter. You should see a loss of coolant and the fog should have a slimy texture if it is the case of a bad heater core.

5thseries
01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Put your window down and poke your head outside =)

MiroE36
01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Put your window down and poke your head outside =)

dude that's not even funny, one of the bad snow days, i was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and my wiper blade snapped on the driver side... so I couldn't use the wipers anymore or else it would have been metal on glass contact, so basically drove home with the window down and head out.... i got the weirdest look from a bunch of asians LOL

MiroE36
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
a bad heater core would leave a fog on the windows though the fog is antifreeze and not water. This will not go away without a replacement core and a detailing thereafter. You should see a loss of coolant and the fog should have a slimy texture if it is the case of a bad heater core.

Ok, the coolant in my car currently is VW/Audi coolant from the dealer, I didn't not put it in, that's how it was when I bought it... but I was told by my mechanic that the coolant they used is ok because its ok for aluminum (i don't know what that means). The color of the coolant is green. The coolant level has not changed over 3 months now that I've had the car... I have always checked the level when the coolant was cold and it was always the same. I also don't have that slimy texture as you mention, and the heat output on high is really hot. Could it still be my heater core??

Outside of that, i'm going to try leaving my window open... would having the sunroof slid slightly open work too??

In either case, come spring time I was gona do some scheduled maintenance to the car ie. Interval 2 and liquid changes. Do you guys think I should also do something else??? I know that my coil pack seems to be dying so that's going to be replaced too. It's an M50 motor btw.

Thank you

5thseries
01-07-2009, 08:05 PM
dude that's not even funny, one of the bad snow days, i was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and my wiper blade snapped on the driver side... so I couldn't use the wipers anymore or else it would have been metal on glass contact, so basically drove home with the window down. LOLSorry, didnt no that part of it lol, well, hot a cold air creates condensation, check for any kind of air leaks, from the doors, god forbid! a rust hole under the car.. some of those can lead to the fog build up..

PinkieMoscow
01-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't see what the problem is. Just put it on 4 and wear swimming trunks, come on man, seriously!

1BADBMR
01-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I smoke in my car and notice it creates a build-up of film on the windows. It fogs up like crazy in the colder months.
Now I clean my inside windows regularly and it helps a bit.

MiroE36
01-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't see what the problem is. Just put it on 4 and wear swimming trunks, come on man, seriously!

lol your inhumane.

MiroE36
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Sorry, didnt no that part of it lol, well, hot a cold air creates condensation, check for any kind of air leaks, from the doors, god forbid! a rust hole under the car.. some of those can lead to the fog build up..

holy shit... you know... the car is from quebec... and one of my friends was telling me that cars from quebec are notorious for rusted floors with holes... I'm going to check that out... OMG what if it is the case... What do I do then??

5thseries
01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
holy shit... you know... the car is from quebec... and one of my friends was telling me that cars from quebec are notorious for rusted floors with holes... I'm going to check that out... OMG what if it is the case... What do I do then?? Well, for the hole in the Floors, check your carpets, is it damp? you just did the winter driving which means snow and the dirt from the road got kicked up so that can be your answer.. but if not.. check your door seals.. look for any kinda of damage, see if they are on right,
for damages, have a look for the outstanding cracks and the holes.. that can be a contribute the the fog build up

damameke
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
definitely air circulation is an issue

run the air-cond for a short period, it will get rid of moisture...give it a try
and get it check..

5thseries
01-07-2009, 09:37 PM
definitely air circulation is an issue

run the air-cond for a short period, it will get rid of moisture...give it a try
and get it check..This is extensive fog.. running the A/C will take for ever And also will only be a clear for a short period of time.

damameke
01-07-2009, 10:57 PM
no it wouldnt take forever.. . it helps.

give it a try and like i stated earlier have it check,

MiroE36
01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
ok so i checked these are the results:

The door seals are fine, the window seals are good too, don't think it's from there... but man, I was comparing my two front mats... the driver side is soaked.. and the passenger side is dry... but I always drive my dad to and from work so there is about the same amount of snow on both mats... so I think this really might be the problem... ****shit! I'll have to get it lifted to take a look underneath.

If I do have a hole underneath... is there a home remedy for this?? I like working on my car and would be down for doing this if it's possible... please let me know?!!?

5thseries
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
ok so i checked these are the results:

The door seals are fine, the window seals are good too, don't think it's from there... but man, I was comparing my two front mats... the driver side is soaked.. and the passenger side is dry... but I always drive my dad to and from work so there is about the same amount of snow on both mats... so I think this really might be the problem... ****shit! I'll have to get it lifted to take a look underneath.

If I do have a hole underneath... is there a home remedy for this?? I like working on my car and would be down for doing this if it's possible... please let me know?!!?Depending on how big the hole if, if you have a welding gun and illmatic skill, go ahead, but see what you are dealing with first before you tackle this job

Dado 540
01-08-2009, 07:39 PM
They got this Magic Putty on infomercialls. Im sure some of you seen it. It can pull a truck, stop leaks, use it to hang things on the wall. Use that lol.

MiroE36
01-08-2009, 08:38 PM
They got this Magic Putty on infomercialls. Im sure some of you seen it. It can pull a truck, stop leaks, use it to hang things on the wall. Use that lol.

Lol I saw that thing... looks crazy lol. I'll have to deal with this during the spring... right now is not the best time...

Ummm do you guy's thing that it might rust more over the winter??? I did get the car oil sprayed at Krown early November. let me know please and thank you

5thseries
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Lol I saw that thing... looks crazy lol. I'll have to deal with this during the spring... right now is not the best time...

Ummm do you guy's thing that it might rust more over the winter??? I did get the car oil sprayed at Krown early November. let me know please and thank youWell, it will get worse, but hopfully the oil you sprayed will minimize the spread... but to prevent anymore damage.. do a quick sheet mettle and rivit fix*th-up*

5thseries
01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Thats what i would do, but you can leave it if you want

Dado 540
01-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Did you try asking the dealership what could cause the fogging? Maybe they have a solution for once. Personally i think this fogging is an air circulation issue. wet floor is another issue, maybe hole maybe door seal, or water vapour barrier in the door. Even the smallest hole could lead to wetness. Do you have a sun roof?

MiroE36
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Did you try asking the dealership what could cause the fogging? Maybe they have a solution for once. Personally i think this fogging is an air circulation issue. wet floor is another issue, maybe hole maybe door seal, or water vapour barrier in the door. Even the smallest hole could lead to wetness. Do you have a sun roof?

Yah i got one, but i think this one is fine. There is no rust anywhere, and works perfectly, even the seal doesnt seem worn or faded. I've had the car in pretty bad rain and didn't get a single drop. The headliner was never wet or shows any stains that would represent a collection of water.

I'll really have to look into this during spring,

but as someone said above, leaving the sunroof open and taking my mat out to dry, giving the carpet a chance to dry does make a big difference.