PDA

View Full Version : What light bulbs do you use on your high beam / Day-Time-Running-Lights?

richmak
12-25-2008, 11:37 AM
I found that the factory one is extremely yellowish ... and I would like to make it more white, especially when it is used as a day-time-running-light. Some people think it is a waste of money since the supply voltage is low in the "day-time-running" mode, and nothing will make it white.

However, I saw many Mercedes / Audi's on the road that have relatively white day-time-running lights ... so I am sure there is a way to do it.

Advices? Thanks.

Qube
12-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I gave up. I have pure yellow fogs and I put pure yellow bulbs in the high beams as well. That way in the daytime, I switch the lights to parking light mode... the DRL and fogs will light up yellow, matching. Looks good.

BoostedMX
12-26-2008, 12:33 PM
I never use DRL's. Always put the Projectors on. Also, i'm pretty sure streetglow or any other bulb manufacture make a cool blue bulb for DRL's. I'm just not wasting my time with it.

Pretty sure its a (9007) bulb for the DRL's.

Qube
12-31-2008, 11:42 PM
My highbeams are yellow. Not a great pic. Need one for daytime. In the daytime, it looks golden and not as yellow pure.

Qube
01-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Here's a better day pic...

Skeg
01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m431/iandunn_bucket/2.jpg

these bulbs came with the car and I'm happy with their colour... not too blue not too yellow

Qube
01-02-2009, 04:29 PM
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m431/iandunn_bucket/2.jpg

these bulbs came with the car and I'm happy with their colour... not too blue not too yellow

Nice, yet those aren't your DRLs though :)

Skeg
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
what are those then?

Qube
01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Well you've got your full headlight system on. If you have DRL (daytime running lights), then they would turn on in one of two scenarios with your lights in OFF (switch all the way down at 0):

1. on when you start the car
2. on when you start the car and release the parking brake

richmak
01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Cube,

It seems a pain the unplug the high beam bulb ... first there is a clip locking the cable to the adapter (which I have already broken ... I guess it is the cold temperature) ... and then it is quite difficult to rotate the bulb to get it out ...

Anything in particular that I should pay attention to?

Thanks.

Qube
01-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes, don't force it too much so it snaps the adjusters, heh.

The little tabs on the side break easily with age, common issue.

It's just a twist lock, nothing special. Just needs some effort. I couldn't unlock the xenon bulb in the old headlamp so I "feel your pain".

richmak
01-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Completed the job ... had to break both clips ... ah, well, the wires are pretty secured so I think the clips are just redundant. The new bulbs are definitely much whiter than the factory one, but in the DRL mode it is still showing yellowish ... the good news is, these are just cheap bulbs from the Chinese plaza at Woodbine & HWY#7 ... costs me $20 (with 1 year of warranty).

Qube
01-03-2009, 03:49 AM
Wow. That's a bit pricy. Glad you did it though.

I had it for a while, then found the whole thing just too blue. I went in the opposite direction and went full on yellow/amber.

See how long you like it :)

EDIT: and the 'not so white' part is certainly because of the lower voltage.

richmak
01-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Qube,

Why do you think a pair of halogen bulbs at CAN$20 is pricey? I checked many online dealers are selling around US$50. Even the PIAA brand costs over CAN$120. I was under the impression that I couldn't go wrong with this price.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help.

Dado 540
01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't think that those blue bulbs will help you. I have tried the same. At first it was somewhat whiter, and then over time they just go yellow. Another problem with those is that when your car is parked and all lights off, you will get the blue glow effect in the chrome bulb housing. If anything try NOKYAs from flea market, $25CND but much better than the no name brands.

Qube
01-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Just a quick example...

http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm

richmak
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow ... I don't even know there are LED versions of high beam ... not sure how it's going to work out ... some people also suggested adding a relay to the DRL so that the full 12V DC is supplied to the high beam halogen bulb.

Qube
01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Nono, I didn't send you the links for LEDs, just the bulb and pricing :)

Don't do the relay... it just means you'll be one of those a**holes that drive with their highbeams on (oblivious to it).

Do this... find some place that will disable the DRL for you, and then PM me where :)

europrince
01-06-2009, 04:56 PM
My highbeams are yellow. Not a great pic. Need one for daytime. In the daytime, it looks golden and not as yellow pure.

I'm sorry, but that's wrong :( Pure white is the way to go!

richmak
01-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Forgive my ignorance ... someone told me the feed for DRL and the feed for highbeam are separate. This means if the relay is added to the DRL feed then I won't be the a**hole blinding people with the high beam.

About disabling the DRL ... it is actually quite sarcastic ... I had to pay someone to enable the DRL when I imported this 5 wagon from PA last Sept ... now I am paying someone to disable it :)

Nono, I didn't send you the links for LEDs, just the bulb and pricing :)

Don't do the relay... it just means you'll be one of those a**holes that drive with their highbeams on (oblivious to it).

Do this... find some place that will disable the DRL for you, and then PM me where :)

richmak
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Could you tell me where you are getting the pure white for the DRL / high-beam that doesn't show a yellowish color during the day? I think lots of people have tried finding this without much success.

I'm sorry, but that's wrong :( Pure white is the way to go!

Qube
01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Forgive my ignorance ... someone told me the feed for DRL and the feed for highbeam are separate. This means if the relay is added to the DRL feed then I won't be the a**hole blinding people with the high beam.

About disabling the DRL ... it is actually quite sarcastic ... I had to pay someone to enable the DRL when I imported this 5 wagon from PA last Sept ... now I am paying someone to disable it :)

You could be right about the feed, but I don't know enough about how the LKM works in the E39. Still searching for an inexpensive Bentley for this car.

If you find a place for no-DRL, let me know :)

Pure white is a trade off because you'll need extremely blue tinted bulbs, which will in turn reflect a hideous blue color when they're off (and yer parked). You can use LEDs but then you basically have no high beams.

Yellow isn't so bad. If you can't beat em, join em. Make it as yellow as possible :D

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83359&stc=1&d=1230842733