PDA

View Full Version : Which combo to use?

ImolaZHP
12-18-2008, 12:23 AM
i ordered the poorboys ssr 1 and 3(didn't look closely, and realized later that its a heavy duty compound) with lake country white(polishing) and orange(cutting) pads. i have pretty bad swirls, but not rediculous. im starting out with all this machine polishing, so any input is appreciated on what combinations i should try.
machine is porter cable random orbit.

Wes_R
12-20-2008, 07:15 PM
I would use the ssr3 with the orange pad then finish with the ssr1 with the white pad.

You might have to get the ssr2 or the ssr2.5 depending on the out come for a middle step, cause very strong to very light polishing maybe to extreme.

Take some pics.

ImolaZHP
12-26-2008, 11:46 PM
i just tried what you suggested, and it worked out quite well(about 85% corrected)..especially considering it was my first time using a buffer.

i've only done 2 panels so far, so ill try to get some before and after pics on the others.

i may get the ssr2, just because it was a bit of a leap from the 3 to 1

Gamite
12-27-2008, 02:02 AM
I use menzerna super intensive and final polish with a white and orange cutting pad.

I noticed that the final polish does not have the correct compounds to cut through our harder clear coats, I've found myself using the super intensive with the white pad. I will probably be switching to the nano polish as my finishing polish this year.

Gamite
12-27-2008, 02:02 AM
I use menzerna super intensive and final polish with a white and orange cutting pad.

I noticed that the final polish does not have the correct compounds to cut through our harder clear coats, I've found myself using the super intensive with the white pad. I will probably be switching to the nano polish as my finishing polish this year.

Wes_R
12-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah definitely with hard Bimmer clearcoats except Jet Black, Final Polish is not going to do much, I love the Menzerna line by the way. For serious cutting power try Meguiars M105 but mind you there is a bit of learning curve when using that polish.

ImolaZHP I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm not sure how your using the Porter Cable but here are some tips..

Break down the panels into 12" x 18" sections roughly

Prime your pad with light mists of water

Put 5 dots of polish the size of Skittles on you pad

When applying the polish start at setting 1 to spread it out then go up to 6 to break down the polish and move a little slowly until the polish starts to go clear that's how you know the polish is breaking down

Also on your backing plate take a marker and draw a line from the centre outward sort of like how a dj puts tape on his record. That way you can see that the pad and backing plate are spinning because if you press really hard on the Porter Cable it will stop spinning.

I think that's it(yeah I know kind of long) and don't forget to take some pics. And wax it after your done.

ImolaZHP
01-07-2009, 11:18 PM
so heres a couple pics of the hood
process was ssr3, 2 passes with ssr1, klasse AIO (amazing btw, i suggest everyone get this), and klasse sealer glaze.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/roldgoldbraidedtwist/IMG_6957.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/roldgoldbraidedtwist/IMG_6958.jpg
so i have 2 questions now, after i apply the sealer glaze, can I apply a wax right away on top(i've heard this gives it that extra 'wet' look to it) or should i wait a certain time to let the sealer cure?

also do i have to worry about polishing too often, or should there be quite a bit of clearcoat that ill never wear through it. (this is after using the ssr3 as you can tell it removes some CC by the haze it leaves)

Gamite
01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
give it 24 hrs to be safe. Depends on the sealer that you use.

looks awesome, nice job.

David
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Good job! Paint looks great!

ImolaZHP
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
thanks guys!

Wes_R
01-13-2009, 12:06 PM
That looks gorgeous!

ImolaZHP
01-14-2009, 04:26 PM