PDA

View Full Version : BMW M3 MDCT Recalled

Gamite
11-20-2008, 03:08 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/11/09-m3_dct_opt.jpg

Fitment of BMW's first double-clutch gearbox (like Volkswagen's DSG, Nissan's GT-R tranny, and the SST in Mitsubishi's Evo X) went slightly wrong for at least 2,500 M3s, NHTSA concludes. "In a situation of rapid vehicle deceleration, the transmission software may perform a multistage downshift." Unanticipated stalling may occur; and that's dangerous.

Updated software is the answer, unsurprisingly. BMW dealers will reprogram the engine and transmission control units. The M3s involved are from the 2008 and 2009 model year, and you surely know if you've not been rowing your own gears lately. Been having problems with downshifts, oh ye M3 owners? Your problem will soon be solved.

Source: http://goodcarbadcar.blogspot.com/2008/11/bmw-recalls-brand-new-m3-with-double.html

MiroE36
11-20-2008, 04:35 PM
When did 6spd manual go out of style??? the more electronics you have the more shit there is to go wrong! this has been a long proven lesson by Volkswagen. But I'm happy they are trying to make ammends for it right away unlike some other car manufacturers we wont mention atm

b0jan
11-20-2008, 04:59 PM
What about 2007 BMW M6?

Thank you

b0jan
11-20-2008, 05:01 PM
When did 6spd manual go out of style??? the more electronics you have the more shit there is to go wrong! this has been a long proven lesson by Volkswagen. But I'm happy they are trying to make ammends for it right away unlike some other car manufacturers we wont mention atm

Looking for a used M6 .... good luck finding 1 or 2 that are manual ....they r all SMG ..... ppl are switching to new technology..

i personally like manual

Gamite
11-20-2008, 09:04 PM
What about 2007 BMW M6?

Thank you

M6 doesn't have MDCT, it has SMG. Only the new M3 comes with it.

b0jan
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Oh ok

Thanks

Bullet Ride
11-21-2008, 11:37 PM
i personally like manual

manual is funner, but mdct is faster

good on bmw fixing it for free

MiroE36
11-21-2008, 11:45 PM
i just don't see the point. The twin clutch shaves a few milliseconds off shifting but takes a whole lot of fun away from driving... I'm not speaking from experience, but I think that being able to manually select any gear you please will always be funner than anything that is predetermined

Gamite
11-22-2008, 12:11 AM
i just don't see the point. The twin clutch shaves a few milliseconds off shifting but takes a whole lot of fun away from driving... I'm not speaking from experience, but I think that being able to manually select any gear you please will always be funner than anything that is predetermined

i agree, it will be way funner too!