PDA

View Full Version : Lock freeze

Dado 540
11-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I believe this is a common problem with early production of E39's, but in the extreme cold weather once i open the driver side door i cant close it. The latches simply will not hook on to the frame because they are frozen.

So when i go to work early morning i have to drive with one hand holding my door closed. Just as i pull up to the parking lot the latches would unfreeze and the door would close normaly.

From what i understad it was a design flaw. On the later models certain parts were coated with plastic to prevent the metal inside the lock/hinge from sticking.

Anyone else had this problem, and what do you think are some of the solutions, other than having a heat gun handy?

cdb
11-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd love to know some solutions as well! Such a stupid problem to deal with throughout the winter.

MLue1
11-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I'd love to know some solutions as well! Such a stupid problem to deal with throughout the winter.I have the same problem with the rear left door after washing the car in the winter. i was told to take the pannel off, carefully remove the vapour barrier and lubricate the lock with lithium grease, carefully reinstall the vapour barrier and pannel. I haven't done it yet but soon.

Dado 540
11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I have the same problem with the rear left door after washing the car in the winter. i was told to take the pannel off, carefully remove the vapour barrier and lubricate the lock with lithium grease, carefully reinstall the vapour barrier and pannel. I haven't done it yet but soon.

Was that a recomendation from Bmw or just someone who has done it?

MLue1
11-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Was that a recomendation from Bmw or just someone who has done it?From someone who has done it.

PS. Make sure you reinstall the moisture barrier correctly of you will fine water in you rear foot well when it rains.

Dado 540
11-14-2008, 08:06 PM
I just did some reaserch on this, and came across TSB - technical service bulletin.

Shocked with all the problems E39 owners experienced!!!

MLue i've noticed that the rear door is quite common issue and some people have had it fixed under the TSB warranty. You might wanna swing by the dealership and see what they say.

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB