PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a 535i

dgmorr
11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey guys,

I'm about to make a decision on a 1990 535i 5spd. I have always wanted one, but my main concern is what happens if the tranny breaks? Are they strong transmissions? The car has just under 300k km on it. How good are the M30 engines good for without a rebuild?

MiroE36
11-12-2008, 12:53 PM
This would probably depend on how it was driven and maintained. My friends dad had a green one for as long as I've known him. I think it had something like 420km on the dash. But he did take care of it.

It all depends, take a careful look around the car and drive it... you have to see how it feels, if it rattles, if it makes funky unusual noises, how easily it shifts, if it pops out of gear, if the clutch is slipping, and make sure u actually test the car and just just drive it around the block at low revs... If they guy tells you not to do something he's probably hiding something.

how much is he asking for? As for trannies... you should be able to find lots around, and from what I know you dont necessarily have to get the same tranny back in, others should fit that motor too. (dont quote me on this, ask the guys that run shop)

zubbie
11-13-2008, 10:11 PM
M30 and getrag 260/6 (5-speed) tranny is the best of all E34 durability combinations. If taken care of both parts will last well into the 400K range before major overhaul. For the engine watch for headgasket leaks (normally due to water pump failure / overheat) and the for tranny check for whines and popping out of gear (synchro gone bad) It is not generally cost effective to rebuild a 5-speed but rather much easier to find a used replacement from any M30 based BMW.