PDA

View Full Version : Ken Block Gymkhana Practice

mudmojo
11-12-2008, 12:04 AM
http://video.kenblockracing.com/flash/small_player/preloader.swf?vendor_id=204&media_id=9183&bgcolor=FFFFFF&autoplay=0

Love the Savardian spin-a-rama in the warehouse! *rockout*

Bullet Ride
11-12-2008, 12:47 AM
that was wicked!

Jim .E.
11-12-2008, 12:53 AM
http://video.kenblockracing.com/flash/small_player/preloader.swf?vendor_id=204&media_id=9183&bgcolor=FFFFFF&autoplay=0

:eek: like wholy shit...

slemmer
11-12-2008, 01:01 AM
That was some nice driving except for that one brush on the concrete.

coolhand
11-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Nice driving forsure. That brush up wasnt much of anything considering what he was doing..it was wood I think.

hellrot_M3
11-12-2008, 01:10 AM
all i gotta say is WOW!

TheLoneVR!
11-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Holy ****! lol
Incredible :)

El Gato Liso
11-12-2008, 01:25 AM
I am
the opposite
of dry

TheLoneVR!
11-12-2008, 01:44 AM
I am
the opposite
of dry

LMAO *repost* *th-up*:D

Fe9L
11-12-2008, 06:20 AM
one of the best videos iv ever seen...hands down!!!!!

b0jan
11-12-2008, 09:01 AM
skilllllz

AMG_POWER
11-12-2008, 12:02 PM
sick!

Fel
11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
That was ****ing nuts!!! Awesome video.... best thing I've seen all week.

ericdalinda
11-12-2008, 12:55 PM
so basically what the OP is saying we should all buy some sort of subaru?>?

magnus
11-12-2008, 01:01 PM
one of the best videos iv ever seen...hands down!!!!!
+1*rockout**th-up*

ScotcH
11-12-2008, 01:17 PM
meh. :)

Check this out: http://vimeo.com/1975245?pg=embed&sec=1975245&hd=1

ara325
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
*rockout*

Boots R
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM

do you even think before you post

Blades
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
both videos are very nice.
*love*

Fel
11-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Where was that even vaguely implied?

Jim .E.
11-12-2008, 02:30 PM

do you even think before you post

Where was that even vaguely implied?

i think they answered it for me.

bmdbley'sBro
11-12-2008, 02:36 PM
ill'n

davericher20
11-12-2008, 04:17 PM
1st vid didn't work for me

trev0006
11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
awesome

Meth09
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
This guy makes the Stig on TopGear look like a beginner. The best driving video I have seen.
Well there goes another set of tires!!

NOTORIOUS VR
11-12-2008, 06:50 PM
that was some sick shit right there

Quack
11-12-2008, 07:10 PM
damn! that looks like a great job, wish I had tires to melt:D

SamE30e
11-12-2008, 07:14 PM
3:00 - 3:10ish ... Insane.

JMW
11-12-2008, 07:18 PM
honestly...that pole drift at 257 is the most amazing thing ive seen....flips it around perfect, and uses the awd to pull the car sideways around it to clear it holy sh@t

DAM
11-12-2008, 08:14 PM
thats about as good as a post comes

v_bimmer
11-12-2008, 08:18 PM
just crazy, some crazy driving skills!! eric stfu

kerisabe
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
fukin sickk...

Fel
11-13-2008, 01:14 AM
honestly...that pole drift at 257 is the most amazing thing ive seen....flips it around perfect, and uses the awd to pull the car sideways around it to clear it holy sh@t

Ditto.... best part of the vid. I had to watch it again to see what happened, it's sort of surreal.

EMPOWERD
11-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Guys, before everyone gets their wet-panties in a bunch... there's really not much that's breath-taking. It's obvious every gymkhana box was rehearsed 10+ times (skid marks) and the entire video wasn't taken in 1 fluid un-edited sequence (true skill). Give anyone (with good drifting abilities) sufficient seat-time in that car (ie: perfect setup) and even the pole-turn is feasible; Pulling the handbrake and doing 4WD donuts doesn't take great skill. The only thing that peaked my interest is the car's abilities and the mint venue they found to film it.
Like ScotcH said, that Roger Clark video (http://vimeo.com/1975245?pg=embed&sec=1975245&hd=1) is much more impressive than skidding around a deserted airfield with a professional media company editing your footage.

NOTORIOUS VR
11-14-2008, 03:50 PM
^^^ I disagree.. I think it's impressive as hell... There is some good editing in the film I agree... but you can't tell me that just anyone can jump in and drive like that.

Although IMO it's not Ken Block driving... the in car shots don't look anything like him IMO.

EMPOWERD
11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
^^^ I disagree.. I think it's impressive as hell... There is some good editing in the film I agree... but you can't tell me that just anyone can jump in and drive like that.

Although IMO it's not Ken Block driving... the in car shots don't look anything like him IMO.

I never said "just anyone". Either you have the talent, or you don't. I've been a passenger (instructing) with literally hundreds of "fast" drivers and can clearly see that 1 out of 20 have a promising natural ability for extreme car control. Those are the individuals i'm referring to.

Hell, even Top Gear got grannies to do perfect tight-donuts in an S2K. In the end, we don't know how many days of filming/editing they required for Ken's video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbq0USbik1A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbq0USbik1A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bullet Ride
11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
^^ well the roger clark video is also edited by a professional media company as well :rolleyes:....or at least fairly professional (I don't know how legit Clashproduction is)

I don't know this for a fact but I'm pretty sure Clark didn't go thru a whole season of time attack without spinning his car, going off the track, or making a mistake, and I'm sure if you give Block good seat time in Clarks car he would be able to do fairly well. Due to the nature of the driving that Block does it is fairly difficult to reproduce consistently. I'm not favoring one driver over another, both drivers have a lot of skill and I don't think it would be fair to say otherwise

Either way, both videos are great...exciting and entertaining what more do you want?

edit: and that top gear video is of the driving instructor doing doughnuts not the grannys, although I'm interested to see how they did.

EMPOWERD
11-14-2008, 04:21 PM
^^^
Wrong, and wrong

Roger Clark video are snippits of his Time Attack runs, not a full blown production renting out a facility to (primary objective) make a video.

Time Attack series is ranked by... wait for it... fastest TIME. The reason he spins and goes off track is because when you're pushing 10/10ths per lap to shave off 1/100th sec, that's when the envelope is pushed and mistakes happen. He's 4-wheel drifting that car out of the corners and coming inches to the track's edge, on every corner, on every run. See the difference?

Keep in mind, we're purely talking about which video is more spectacular, not driver abilities.

Bullet Ride
11-14-2008, 06:48 PM
^^If you're solely talking about which video is more spectacular then to each his own. I loved both videos.

It's just that in you're previous posts you were making it sound like any drifter with half a brain could do what block was doing if they were given "sufficient seat-time in that car (ie: perfect setup)". I think that argument goes both ways, give anyone (with good racing abilities) sufficient seat-time in Clarks car and 4-wheel drifting that car out of the corners and coming inches to the track's edge, on every corner, on every run is feasible.

Mystikal
11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Guys, before everyone gets their wet-panties in a bunch... there's really not much that's breath-taking. It's obvious every gymkhana box was rehearsed 10+ times (skid marks) and the entire video wasn't taken in 1 fluid un-edited sequence (true skill). Give anyone (with good drifting abilities) sufficient seat-time in that car (ie: perfect setup) and even the pole-turn is feasible; Pulling the handbrake and doing 4WD donuts doesn't take great skill. The only thing that peaked my interest is the car's abilities and the mint venue they found to film it.

I'd like to second this.

You can see, repeatedly, that some seemingly fluid sequences are actually snippets of spectacular angles pasted together. I watched the video last night at home, and I'm at work now where I can't view it again to give a time, but I distinctly remember the scene where he slides around a building and at the first shot, from above and behind the building, he has a huge angle but it's clear that the car is straightening out right at the second apex (corner of the building). Then suddenly the camera switches to the side of the building, and he's thrown it out completely sideways again. Just from understanding basic car control and the limits of awd, it's flat out impossible for that sequence to have been filmed in one take. It's obviously pasted together, the apex point for each camera angle is completely different. But it LOOKS spectacular to someone who doesn't understand extreme car control first-hand. There are numerous scenes like this throughout the clip.

Also, just as Randy said, the tire marks showing that each scene was practiced over and over and over and over until a perfect take was recorded really takes away from the experience. And yes, some scenes like the e-brake into power oversteer around the pole were downright simple.

Now don't get me wrong, Ken Block, as a real driver in the real world, is very talented. Far beyond my skills for sure. However, in a similar vein as to what happened with the movie Tokyo Drift, skills from drivers like Rhys Millen are completely tossed out the window once a serious movie production company is allowed to edit the footage. If you ever saw the raw, unedited drifting that took place in that film (all of the scenes of tandem sliding up parking garage ramps and the like were 100% real), you'd be infinitely more amazed. But with the way they edited the crap of it with spinning 3D effects and rapidly switching angles, it all appears to be special effects and as a fan of real car control you start to lose interest.

Again, impressive from the viewpoint of someone who isn't well-versed in extreme car control, but a little frustrating for those who are.

NOTORIOUS VR
11-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I never said "just anyone". Either you have the talent, or you don't. I've been a passenger (instructing) with literally hundreds of "fast" drivers and can clearly see that 1 out of 20 have a promising natural ability for extreme car control. Those are the individuals i'm referring to.

But he is showing that he has the ability of extreme car control... you really don't know how good or bad he is from this video, since it was all nicely edited.

Yes I agree, seeing it all in one shot unedited would show you his true driving skills. But the video would be lame to watch (which was the purpose of this entire video... entertainment).

NOTORIOUS VR
11-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I'd like to second this.

You can see, repeatedly, that some seemingly fluid sequences are actually snippets of spectacular angles pasted together. I watched the video last night at home, and I'm at work now where I can't view it again to give a time, but I distinctly remember the scene where he slides around a building and at the first shot, from above and behind the building, he has a huge angle but it's clear that the car is straightening out right at the second apex (corner of the building). Then suddenly the camera switches to the side of the building, and he's thrown it out completely sideways again. Just from understanding basic car control and the limits of awd, it's flat out impossible for that sequence to have been filmed in one take. It's obviously pasted together, the apex point for each camera angle is completely different. But it LOOKS spectacular to someone who doesn't understand extreme car control first-hand. There are numerous scenes like this throughout the clip.

Also, just as Randy said, the tire marks showing that each scene was practiced over and over and over and over until a perfect take was recorded really takes away from the experience. And yes, some scenes like the e-brake into power oversteer around the pole were downright simple.

Now don't get me wrong, Ken Block, as a real driver in the real world, is very talented. Far beyond my skills for sure. However, in a similar vein as to what happened with the movie Tokyo Drift, skills from drivers like Rhys Millen are completely tossed out the window once a serious movie production company is allowed to edit the footage. If you ever saw the raw, unedited drifting that took place in that film (all of the scenes of tandem sliding up parking garage ramps and the like were 100% real), you'd be infinitely more amazed. But with the way they edited the crap of it with spinning 3D effects and rapidly switching angles, it all appears to be special effects and as a fan of real car control you start to lose interest.

Again, impressive from the viewpoint of someone who isn't well-versed in extreme car control, but a little frustrating for those who are.

Honestly, all I read was blah blah blah... Why do you have to analyze a video like this? It's not meant to be analyzed it's meant to be enjoyed. We all know that it's edited. We all know that Ken Block probably couldn't get it this perfect in one shot. Although who knows, maybe he could! Have you ever seen him drive in real life? Has anyone?

Ken Block made a video for pure enjoyment on the internet.. Much like the one where he's driving/rallying up and down the ski hill in a WRX and snowboarding.

Mystikal
11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Honestly, all I read was blah blah blah...

Then why reply?

I'm hardly overanalyzing, I watched the video once. It pissed me off, and when I read the thread I was glad to see that someone else had the same opinion.

Feel free to ignore my blah blah blah though. I'm not writing it for your benefit.

NOTORIOUS VR
11-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Then why reply?

I'm hardly overanalyzing, I watched the video once. It pissed me off, and when I read the thread I was glad to see that someone else had the same opinion.

Feel free to ignore my blah blah blah though. I'm not writing it for your benefit.

I replied because I found it amusing that you want to write such a long winded reply about a video made for pure entertainment :D

piotrek636
11-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Ken Block - Vista , CA + Alex Gelsomino Santa Clarita, CA
-National: Expert 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Open Class

he has entered again for the Tallpines Rally in Bancroft, it's only about 2hour drive from Toronto, you guys should come, I've been going to the Tallpines Rally 4 years in a row, it's a very good event.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112408

piotrek636
11-20-2008, 02:54 PM
List of drivers competing this year:

http://www.tallpinesrally.com/TallPines/Default.aspx?tabid=80

v_bimmer
11-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Ken Block - Vista , CA + Alex Gelsomino Santa Clarita, CA
-National: Expert 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Open Class

he has entered again for the Tallpines Rally in Bancroft, it's only about 2hour drive from Toronto, you guys should come, I've been going to the Tallpines Rally 4 years in a row, it's a very good event.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112408

yeah great event, im going on saturday for sure*rockout*

AceOfSpades
11-20-2008, 09:32 PM

Hell, even Top Gear got grannies to do perfect tight-donuts in an S2K. In the end, we don't know how many days of filming/editing they required for Ken's video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbq0USbik1A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbq0USbik1A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
teach me how to drive please*sad*

mudmojo
11-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Whoa, check out car #19 ! Dave Mirra!!

http://files.fluxstatic.com/0004C704000B9AE4000760FBFFFF

piotrek636
11-21-2008, 09:57 AM
just to clear up, Kenny aint god or something, btw, I have been going to the rally for 4 years, looks like Ken hasnt been so popular because I didnt even know who that is then I realized he is running the canadian rally, and he has in the past.

other drivers such as L'Estage, Sprongl, Comrie-Picard and Thompson (who has been running Subaru then switched to Lancer Evo), those are the only people making the headlines I know of.

so Kenny must have put this video together to get sponsors or something, not such a popular guy afterall.

Rally is tomorrow !

magnus
11-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Damn you guys like to argue! This was an awesome video and that is that. No one claimed that Kenny is the best driver in the world.
Comparing him to Roger Clark is stupid. It would be like comparing a drifter and an F1 driver. Different kinds of motorsport.
Roger Clark is a great driver btw but he is more famous for the car he has built. Not he skills. How many 9 sec cars do you know that can do circuit racing and dont break?
If you want to talk about great drivers here are a few more impressive:

Gigi Gali:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewxrNSOKFow

Ari Vatanen (and my personal favourite in Rallying):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgeCQGu_ug

Then there are guys like Bruno here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRt0epipxQI

Tiff needel is also an awesome driver and probably the one that makes it all look soooooo easy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3QuH7z1Z1o

Best driver ever for me though is non other than:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgktruZUDgs

There are even more like Colin McRae and so on.
The point is that this was a cool video and that is that!

piotrek636
11-23-2008, 06:11 PM
For all it's worth, Ken Block crashed his 2008 Subaru in the first stage of the race, his car fell down 50 feet down in to the ditch off the road. I think today they finally pulled out his car out of the ditch.

He didnt even make it to the spectator section so noone really even saw him race.

Apparently he is new to the rally and he is just starting out so I'm not shocked he didnt finish.

jeffrie
12-11-2008, 03:46 AM
IMO anyone whe needs to fast forward a vid in every scene, but dub the sound in real time for a promotional video is nothing more then a wannabe, which is my impression of Ken Block.
From experience, smoke just doesn't bellow or disipate that fast in real life, and hell, no Impresa has the traction to do them turns that quickly @ what must be 160 MPH+ for the speed that car is flying through the frames, unless maybe he's got some sort of anti-grav unit running in the trunk.

coolhand
12-11-2008, 05:14 AM
That Tiburon is making a statement thats for sure.

Not sure if anyone noticed this but after watching this vid multiple times when he enters that little square thing to do those donuts he would hit the wall at his original tragectory, I think they chopped that part......

piotrek636
12-11-2008, 09:56 AM
well, this is only a promotional video to score up some sponsors, that's it *thmbsdwn*

magnus
12-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Look what i came across:
http://www.racedandrallied.com/detail.php?siteid=807&show_still=1

PinkieMoscow
12-21-2008, 03:10 AM
Holy crapazoid, one more video like that and I getting a subaru!