PDA

View Full Version : The Engine Oil Question (SE used with no luck)

dodoamore
11-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Gents I have a 99 540i.

Research indicates that 0-40 engine oil meets BMW Longlife 01 requirements. Mobile 1 indicates they sell this oil, but I can't seem to locate this oil anywhere in the GTA.

Questions:
i) where can I purchase this oil from in the GTA (please don't say canadian tire, walmart, they don't carry it)?
ii) are there any alternative oil type and rating that you recommend that meet requirements?
iii) do people use the stealership to buy their oil and oil filter
iv) where do you guys purchase your oil filters from in the GTA other then the stealership?
v) what's the average cost per liter for engine oil...?

Thanks in advance,*wave*

Ps., please do share what type of engine oil and filter you've been using thanks.,

chromius
11-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I use Mobil 1 0w-40, and yes it is a BMW LL-01 oil.

In Ottawa I get it from Partsource. I assume you guys must have those down in T.O as well.

MLue1
11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I use Mobil 1 0w-40, and yes it is a BMW LL-01 oil.

In Ottawa I get it from Partsource. I assume you guys must have those down in T.O as well.Part Source... no never heard of 'em... must be foreign... .:D

dodoamore
11-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the reply chromius., $/Litre cost ya?, and where to you buy your oil filters from?

dodoamore
11-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Hey MLue1 any follow-up post/update on the trans oil change from toronto transmission? Your thoughts, was pricing accurate (labour, software upgrades, material?).,

THanks,

chromius
11-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the reply chromius., $/Litre cost ya?, and where to you buy your oil filters from?

I can't remember exactly the $/liter, but I think it's around $8

Filters, I pretty much buy anywhere except the dealer. Whenever I buy any other parts from online sources, I get them to throw in a couple of filters for an extra $5/ea. So I usually have a year supply sitting in my garage at any one time:)

Pinto009
11-08-2008, 09:12 PM
you can find Mobile 1 0-w40 at any Canadian tire or part source basicialy the same store . look for the 1 liter bottles i just change mine yesterday its about 9 buck a liter and they dont have the 4.4l jug hope it helps

MLue1
11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey MLue1 any follow-up post/update on the trans oil change from toronto transmission? Your thoughts, was pricing accurate (labour, software upgrades, material?).,

THanks,http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104250&page=2

Vicman17
11-13-2008, 02:02 AM
PartsSource is actually owned by Canadian Tire and is more like and 'expanded' auto section. Their (C/T) sales will refer you to PartSource if they can't help you.

PartSource used to sell the Mobil 1 0W-40 in 1L bottles but haven't seen them lately. I used the Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (BMWLL-01) that you can find in... yes.. Canadian Tire and WalMart.

It's the only OTC Castrol made in Germany (all info in the back of the bottle) and is the same stuff sold in Audi dealerships.

Pinto009
11-13-2008, 09:06 AM
moblie 1 ow40 is freely available at both my part source and Canadian tire stores last i checked with canadian tire Scarborough Port union area on rylander blv next to the drive test they have over 200 bottles in stock and the part source in Pickering has more the enough as well , but as VIman 17 said the 0w30 is more freely available but only get the one made in Germany with the red strip the one made in the us is not a true syntec and only caries that name for legal reasons .

dodoamore
11-13-2008, 03:30 PM
It seems like the various franchises locations (CD Tire, Part-Source) carry different brands and don't always ensure product availability. The Dealer seems to price their oil fair [High $8's - OEM 5w-35], but wanted $20+ for an oil filter (no thanks)

I am not sure about your personal situation, but having an oil and filter change should not cost $100+tax or whatever they charge. Personally I have no problem taking a single bolt out and unscrewing a simple filter which can't get any easier since its located on the top of our rides.

So my search began, check all local suppliers for oil [too expensive for my taste, was looking for the $7 range since these car take 8 ltrs of blood].

My Search:
Noco: $11.61/Ltr or $69.34/case of 6 [Mobile 1 0w40]
Part-Source: $10+/Ltr but stock supply seems to be the issue [Mobile 1 0w40]
Other: Carried have spoken about Castrol, Motul, ect... [but again $10+]

Checked for oil filters through canadian online suppliers and their prices were better than the dealer but still too high compared to U.S suppliers.

Although very tempting to purchase through well known online suppliers in the states; with the current fx rate, duty, tax, and possible shipping fees...the price & convenience was not worth it.

You must know think wow, was a cheap bastard; call it what you want...I managed to call a local specialize shop and asked if I could purchase through them in bulk. Both oil filters and oil. I would also suggest asking the cash price (wink wink)...

Oil filter price $9.50 (okay higher then U.S. suppliers but I purchased 10; remember no duty, no fx which sucks right now, no shipping, and no tax ;)...ps. all I needed was oil and filter).
Since it was a specialize shop with 90% of customer representing BMW's, I asked what oil they recommended for their customers...(well price per ltr was 7.50). Ordered two cases of 5Ltrs and called it a day.

Total for oil change $60 oil and $9.50 for filter....$69.50...and personally I like getting a bit dirty and having an excuse to check the bottom of my car for other things....

Change your oil and filter lets say 3 times a year and well $208 vs. the times you pull down your pants for the dealer....

Since I'm not sure if dealer wants to be named for cash dealings, I cannot disclose name..sorry fellas....

If anyone can get an account with canpar (can't remember name)....but they supply automotive parts to dealers....please pm me; would love to buy through you even if I would pay a fee to you....rather you, than the dealers....

Thanks for reading and thanks for your help.....

Ps...ABS issues on these cars suck LOL

Pinto009
11-13-2008, 11:36 PM
i usual buy my filters online like through eBay or something comes up to 30 bucks including shipping for 6 to 10 if you get lucky min 6 when do you guys get it from mine are usual maann or fram

Mystikal
11-14-2008, 05:37 PM
moblie 1 ow40 is freely available at both my part source and Canadian tire stores last i checked with canadian tire Scarborough Port union area on rylander blv next to the drive test they have over 200 bottles in stock and the part source in Pickering has more the enough as well.

Good info, thanks. Those are both my local stores.

Also, I know you guys are looking at LL-01 only here, but the Castrol 5W-40 sold EVERYWHERE (and for $37.98/5L) meets LL-98, which by all means is still perfectly fine if you change your oil more frequently than BMW recommends. Keep in mind the Luqui-Moly that so many BMW shops use is on that same list.

BoostedMX
11-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Where are all you guys finding oil filters for under 10 dollars? Everywhere I've gone cheapest I've found is 29.99+tax.

Also, I can't find OW 40 anywhere, so I picked up 5W 40, is there anything wrong in getting what I got?

MLue1
11-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Where are all you guys finding oil filters for under 10 dollars? Everywhere I've gone cheapest I've found is 29.99+tax.

Also, I can't find OW 40 anywhere, so I picked up 5W 40, is there anything wrong in getting what I got?IMO It should be fine, the E39 V8 revs frairly low and you're not racing the engine are you. I think most people go over board with which oil to use especialy on a car that is already broken in and when the engine was built the oils back then weren't advance as the ones today. So long as you change it often enough and the oil that is not too thick for the weather conditions you're good to go, all 5W oils are OK for our winters. Yes Castrol is recommended by BMW and there are bottles that have "for BMW" written on it but I've read other BMW oil threads on oil and basically the manufacturers certify the oils based on the oils ability to stay in service for a longer peroid of time so they can advertize longer recommemded service intervals. My car is older, I would never follow the electronics telling me when to change the oil that is too long an interval. I change my oil every 10k and I basically put what ever 5w30 synthetic oil that's on sale at Walmart, CT or Parts Source.

BoostedMX
11-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Thank you! Now to my other questions, where is everyone finding these under 10.00 oil filters where i'm getting prices from 29.99 to 36.99 everywhere I go???

MLue1
11-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Thank you! Now to my other questions, where is everyone finding these under 10.00 oil filters where i'm getting prices from 29.99 to 36.99 everywhere I go???They are buying online, try this site for your car:
http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts2/index.cfm?fetch=part~ID=1997~BMW~540i~240348
The price is in Canadian $$. Guys sometimes add an oil filter, air filter or something else just to get over $75 to get the free shipping.

chromius
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Thank you! Now to my other questions, where is everyone finding these under 10.00 oil filters where i'm getting prices from 29.99 to 36.99 everywhere I go???

You're getting ripped off. Even the dealer is cheaper than that.

I've seriously never seen a 540 oil filter for more than $22, so I don't even know where you are finding that crazy price. Pretty much anywhere is gonna be cheaper. But as MLue1 said, online places are your best bet.

dodoamore
11-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Boosted MX...if you're ever in Mississuaga..pm me...I have enough for the next two years...lol....I can sell you them at $10/each...mayhle (or however you spell it)...but like others have stated you can purchase them online for a bit cheaper., (you just gotsa get lucky with all variables, currency, shipping, quantity, make, ect., ect.,

ABS SUCKS

BoostedMX
11-20-2008, 12:38 AM
yea, i'm pissed. I went to Canadian Tire and they said they can order it for 40.00. Went to part source which is the same at "CT' and they said the same. I went to NAPA and they had it for 29.50 so I said screw it and bought it. did my oil change today, but yea, I looked online and they are 100X cheaper. Yup, I got ripped off big time.

Mystikal
11-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Dropped by my friend's Part Source location (Danforth/Danforth), was semi-shocked to see the Mobil 1 0W-40 on the shelf. Even stamped with LL-01 on the back, nice.

Wal-Mart also carries the cheaper Castrol 5W-40 for $38/5L jug, which actually meets LL-98.

Dado 540
11-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Dropped by my friend's Part Source location (Danforth/Danforth), was semi-shocked to see the Mobil 1 0W-40 on the shelf. Even stamped with LL-01 on the back, nice.

Wal-Mart also carries the cheaper Castrol 5W-40 for $38/5L jug, which actually meets LL-98.

Actually you can also get Castrol 5W-40 at COSTCO for $38/6L. They come in a box pack of six. I usually got for that deal if there is nothing on sale at CT.

Whats the diffenrence between "Full Synthetic Motor Oil" and "100% Synthetic Motor Oil"???

Mystikal
11-23-2008, 03:23 PM
It's all just marketing.

Just go by what BMW recommends, their testing is intensive. And although there are hundreds on that list, only a few are available at the big chain stores. And these are the LL-01 Mobil 1 0W-40 (Part Source and some CT), and LL-98 Castrol 5W-40 (Wal-Mart, PS, CT, etc etc).