PDA

View Full Version : audiophiles, explain this one to me

propr'one
11-03-2008, 04:44 AM
Ok. So in my e30, i have my subs from my e36, and some aftermarket speakers that were in the car when i got it.

Sometimes, usually when the sub is hitting, the front speakers distort.

Now, if i turn the sub off, it stops.

How does that make any sense? I'm pretty sure the phase on the sub is set correctly. What else could it be?

Mystikal
11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Too much current draw? Something failing in the electrical system.

How much power is the sub amp producing?

propr'one
11-03-2008, 11:47 AM
200W methinks.

if i show you the car, can you tell me why? (no drifting, TC's are expensive)

Mystikal
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I could try. Or maybe someone who posts after me has a magical answer.

T.Dot_E30
11-03-2008, 11:05 PM
are the speakers wired straight to the deck?

Dumb question (but im just checking): By turning the sub off, you aren't turning the bass all the way down are you (including the bass going to the speakers)?

Sounds like it might be the way the speakers were wired up.

Bullet Ride
11-04-2008, 12:06 AM
the SPL from your sub is SO intense that it is creating constructive interference with the sound coming from your door speakers.*rockout*:D

propr'one
11-04-2008, 02:53 AM
are the speakers wired straight to the deck?

Dumb question (but im just checking): By turning the sub off, you aren't turning the bass all the way down are you (including the bass going to the speakers)?

Sounds like it might be the way the speakers were wired up.

Yes, directly the to HU.

I'm turning off the sub in a menu that adjust phase for the sub. There's three options. Regular, Reverse and Off.

It distorts in both regular and reverse, but not if "off".

NOTORIOUS VR
11-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Do the front speakers distort even at low volume levels when the sub is turned on?

I'm guessing there is an issue with your deck. Turning the sub off from your deck turns off the pre-outs. So maybe something is screwing with the pre-stage output to the internal deck amp. Do the light's on the deck dim when they distort? Do you have any ground loop noise? Check your ground connection going to the deck. Run a new one to a solid grounding point if needed. Most of the time OEM grounds in the radio harness suck anyways.

propr'one
11-05-2008, 01:41 AM
^^gonna look into that, thanks. I'm starting to think if i get a little 4 channel amp, and run the cabin speakers from that will solve all my problems.

spooner_dee
02-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Sup propr long time no talk to.

Just an idea, i know with my last setup when i did as you said with turning the subs off, it also muted the bass to all my speakers. This could be what your HU is doing which is why you don't get the distortion when you turn the subs off

Generally though distortion can be blown speakers, or too much power going to them or the volume is too high (turn your sh*t down).