PDA

View Full Version : Autoshifter - not intuitive!

Bmwstylz
10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
I test drove a 128 the other day, and only available in auto so drove teh biatch..

found the semi-auto shifter really counter intuitive, up-shift is pullback or something counter to other brands i.e. drove a lex is250 teh other day and upshift is push forward as it should be.

was brute! anybody else find this annoying?

Axxe
10-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Up-shift pull back is more intuitive; you are being pushed in the seat, and pull back to upshift, and then when you brake, you push forward to downshift. Makes perfect sense.

DriveItSideways
10-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Up-shift pull back is more intuitive; you are being pushed in the seat, and pull back to upshift, and then when you brake, you push forward to downshift. Makes perfect sense.

This is how most rally cars are, and its the way it should be!

Mystikal
10-24-2008, 10:51 AM
It's the way like all race cars are, and makes a lot of sense.

The early Steptronic cars (99-01 or so) had it the other way around, and it sucked.

Gamite
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
I haven't driven with the push forward, but we have the pull back to upshift in the X5, and it feels pretty natural to me.

Qube
11-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Upshift is pull back. Perfectly natural. It has always been that way with the SMG, and thereafter the Steptronics followed suit (a bit later).

EDIT: If you search most of the respective enthusiast forums, you'll probably find a DIY to modify it for PULL BACK next gear and PUSH FORWARD previous gear. It just makes more sense that way when you're snug in your seat...

Bullet Ride
11-02-2008, 11:55 PM
yeah the 328 is pull up shift.

M3ti Compact
02-07-2009, 08:47 PM
actually, the other way is more intuitive.
Push up for upshift, pull down for downshift - makes perfect sense that way.
Its like the throttle on an airplane, push forward = increase speed.
Or the landing gear, lever down = gear down.
On a motorcycle = pull up to shift up

ShortShifter
02-12-2009, 09:39 AM
actually, the other way is more intuitive.
Push up for upshift, pull down for downshift - makes perfect sense that way.
Its like the throttle on an airplane, push forward = increase speed.
Or the landing gear, lever down = gear down.
On a motorcycle = pull up to shift up

Depends on the airplane. Some are pull for more throttle.
And motorcycle you pull up towards to you upshift and down away from you to down shift. If you follow the linkage its actually pulling the gear back to upshift.

Trouble65
02-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Makes sense to me.

M3ti Compact
02-15-2009, 09:50 AM
In either event, BMW is clearly going against the grain on this one.

VW Golf

Cadillac SRX

Chrysler 300C (push AWAY upshift)

Mercedes CLS55 AMG (push AWAY upshift)

Infiniti G35

Lexus ISF

Mitsubishi Outlander

Porsche Cayenne

Hyundai Genesis

And BMW X5 *thmbsdwn*

Axxe
02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Why are you bitching about this so much? Who cares, really? The auto shifter remains in the auto mode 99.99999% of the time anyway, the novelty of changing your own gears in an auto wears thin very quickly.

M3ti Compact
02-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Why are you bitching about this so much? Who cares, really? The auto shifter remains in the auto mode 99.99999% of the time anyway, the novelty of changing your own gears in an auto wears thin very quickly.

Whats your problem? The thread title clearly states the issue being discussed and the issue to be bitched about.

And to answer your question of who cares; YOU. You obviously care about the issue enough to have posted your opinion already, althrough you dont have a 1 series with an automatic, and then come back, read the responses, and contribute a post with a made up statistic and which has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Axxe
02-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Whats your problem? The thread title clearly states the issue being discussed and the issue to be bitched about.

And to answer your question of who cares; YOU. You obviously care about the issue enough to have posted your opinion already, althrough you dont have a 1 series with an automatic, and then come back, read the responses, and contribute a post with a made up statistic and which has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Made up statistics are the best kind.

PinkieMoscow
02-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Yah it's so retarded. German cars just want to be different.

TNation
03-16-2009, 09:30 PM
hey I agree with M3ti Compact, my Dad's auto G35X with tiptronic feels much more natural to shift compared to the X5 he had (and all other BMW's). I got used to the X5 after a while though.. and someone in this thread was right when he said it got old quickly to manual shift in an automatic, that he was right, it gets old quick. On another note about shifting, The IS-F is the fastest shifting car i've ever been in, anyone driven with the paddles behind the wheel? amazing upshifts, SO fast. Tiptronic isn't even needed.

Bmwstylz
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
It didn't always used to be this way!! :)

just drove an e38 740i sport (2001 model), and hop in.. without looking bump it into manual mode, and while driving it bump forward to upshift - how intuitive!

me want e38 now hehe fast lil car :P

344i
08-29-2009, 01:52 AM
autos are auto for a reason. Get manual to solve the problem durrr

Guilherme
08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Oh wow so you gotta push the paddle forward to downshift?

Although that does make sense, as some people pointed out, it is a race car heritage I guess but when it comes to paddle shifters I guess they should make it Formula 1 style, that is, both upshifts and downshifts being pullbacks but upshifts on the right side and downshifts on the left...

nachos23
09-01-2009, 12:32 AM
it's funny of all the brands you show with the Push Up, BMW is consistently ranked higher in every model evaluation conducted against all of those brands mand many of those models..... so, who has the last laugh..... Push up is not natural in a racing environment..... accelerate, pushed back into seat; pull back to upshift..... BMW is consistently considered one of the most balanced and agile vehicles produced....BMWs deisgns and technology are constantly being copied by the same manufacturers you list..... Just because most everyone else has it wrong, doesn't make them right......

TNation
09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
it's funny of all the brands you show with the push up, bmw is consistently ranked higher in every model evaluation conducted against all of those brands mand many of those models..... So, who has the last laugh..... Push up is not natural in a racing environment..... Accelerate, pushed back into seat; pull back to upshift..... Bmw is consistently considered one of the most balanced and agile vehicles produced....bmws deisgns and technology are constantly being copied by the same manufacturers you list..... Just because most everyone else has it wrong, doesn't make them right......

lolololoololol

Guilherme
09-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Hahahahaha, well said!

Mr seville
05-07-2010, 03:13 PM
*shiner*driving an auto bmw in tiptronic is like playing COD in inverted mode. end of story.

Blades
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
*shiner*driving an auto bmw in tiptronic is like playing COD in inverted mode. end of story.

I use to play in inverted mode because thats how i started off with Doom .. in fact I think that was default (or my playing of flight simulators caused it).

I have a kia in tiptronic and its setup up like all others + up and - down and I can tell you it doesnt feel natural to me. I upshifted accidentally on the highway once.

biginstreets
05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I use steptronic all the time. Id say its a 40/60 for me. I love it!

ziiing!

mstearnsy
05-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Anyone else think it's funny that he expected BMW to take performance/sporting advice from a gearshift in a Mitsubishi Outlander SUV?

BMW's way makes sense. It might not make sense to people driving 128s, but once you've driven 135's, M3s, M5s, etc that THROW you backwards when you step on the gas, you have no choice but to pull backwards to upshift. Same goes for when you slam on the brakes for max stopping power, you should be downshifting so you're in the correct gear after the corner, push downshifts are natural then.
I used to have a 300 hp Audi that was the wrong way, push away to upshift, and it was awful.

hockeyfan27
05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I use steptronic all the time. Id say its a 40/60 for me. .....

Whenever I'm unfortunate enough to be stuck driving the wife's station wagon I frequently use the steptronic but mostly just for downshifting.

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/EVOX/2005/Subaru/2005.subaru.outback.20122349-E.jpg
Subaru: push for upshift, pull for downshift

...BMW's way makes sense. It might not make sense to people driving 128s, but once you've driven 135's, M3s, M5s, etc that THROW you backwards when you step on the gas, you have no choice but to pull backwards to upshift. Same goes for when you slam on the brakes for max stopping power, you should be downshifting so you're in the correct gear after the corner, push downshifts are natural then.
I used to have a 300 hp Audi that was the wrong way, push away to upshift, and it was awful.

I get what you are saying, but when accelerating the "throw back" is most intense immediately after the shift, not at the top of the gear when you are about to shift. I don't think that is a huge factor. It all comes down to what you are used to/ have become accustom to.

Bullet Ride
05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I get what you are saying, but when accelerating the "throw back" is most intense immediately after the shift, not at the top of the gear when you are about to shift. I don't think that is a huge factor.

Yes, but under heavy braking push foreward downshift is what you want.

It all comes down to what you are used to/ have become accustom to.

I agree. All of the tiptronic cars that I've driven have been BMW's with pull back upshift, so that's what I'm use to.

That being said, I'd argue that pull back upshift is the more intuitive set-up, that's what racing guys use and you can't argue against that.

.... and for the record I think that push left/right tiptronic is asking for trouble. I've gone into quick lefts before with my hand on the shifter in tiptronic mode and the g-force would make my hand push the shifter back into regular drive, I don't want to imagine if that would have caused me to downshift instead.

maranellobmw
04-08-2011, 09:58 AM
I like everyones take on motorcycle shifting...lol its funny cuz on the track a lot of guys reverse the shifting on their bikes. "gp shift" and 100% of moto gp , ama, world superbike, cdn superbikes are all gp shift. The only vehicle where shifting makes no sense stock...lol

iverson03tj
04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I think it makes more sense in a performance perspective to have it the way bmw does, but i drove a e9x with steptronic, and it felt like it didnt change gears... i like my 5/6 speed instead:P i like to know what gear im shifting to