PDA

View Full Version : Confused - 90' BMW 525i

Sessionz
10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Aye guys,

Uh, I just put 18" Momo's with Yokohomo slicks and got my alignment got the spacers for the rear apparently I didn't need them for the front .. anyway.

I was flying on the 401... and as I was merging to get on to the weston on ramp my steering wheel was going nuts till i slowed down to like 60km..

it was making like a thud sound.. but really repetitatve... kinda like I was taking shots on call of duty or something on xbox.. never happend before I put the new rims on..

Any suggestions?...

Thanks

chromius
10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Sounds like your wheels are out of balance or you have a bent rim.

Fel
10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
^ditto.

If it didn't happen before the new wheels, then it's probably the wheels...

Sessionz
10-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll look into it this coming week.. I'm gonna put on my winter tires.. so I'll get someone to take a look at my rims & tires.

^ditto.

If it didn't happen before the new wheels, then it's probably the wheels...

zubbie
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
While it could be the wheels, I'm willing to bet it is something else.

1. Are these E39 (74.1 mm CB) wheels? If so you need hubcentric rings to adapt your wheels to the E34's 72.56 mm hubs. eBay has them and a few online etailers. Note that all BMW rims are hubcentric and not lugcentric like your average chevy so the rim must match the hub exactly or it will be like your lug nuts are loose.

2. If you do have the right centrebore (or rings), putting 18" rims on an E34 which used to run stock rims, will bring out all the worn components in your suspension, particularly thrust arms and steering stuff.

3. Personally I would only use H&R spacers (and they must also be hubcentric). The rest are generally crap.

mirek
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM

1. Are these E39 (74.1 mm CB) wheels? If so you need hubcentric rings to adapt your wheels to the E34's 72.56 mm hubs. eBay has them and a few online etailers. Note that all BMW rims are hubcentric and not lugcentric like your average chevy so the rim must match the hub exactly or it will be like your lug nuts are loose.

2. If you do have the right centrebore (or rings), putting 18" rims on an E34 which used to run stock rims, will bring out all the worn components in your suspension, particularly thrust arms and steering stuff.

*th-up**th-up**th-up*

Sessionz
10-22-2008, 08:17 PM

3. Personally I would only use H&R spacers (and they must also be hubcentric). The rest are generally crap.

I never thought of that.... All I know is i got 2 spacers for the rear

I'll keep that in mind and check into it..