PDA

View Full Version : New here, and new E30 Driver got quesitons

vinnie mack
10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey guys, just picked up an 87 e30 325i (2.5). I am new to BMWs and e30s so please excuse any dumb questions. However I am not new to cars in general, trust me.

The car is great, runs great but on the drive home i noticed:

A. holy crap the pedals are close together
B. is it small in there or just me? (6'1)

Some technical questions I have that may be normal or not just double checking.

I got quite a bit of slop in the shifter how normal is normal? or should it be nice and tight in gears.

Factory fog light switch but no fogs, is there wiring in there I can use?, I got some nice rally style Hellas I want to hook up.

Last but not least I haven't done a full tune-up yet but the throttle response is quite "meh", should it be? I wasn't hoping for it to do Warp 9 or anything but it seems quite sluggish.

Thanks in advance!*th-up*

El Gato Liso
10-06-2008, 11:38 PM
yes the pedals ARE closer together
i noticed that too, but trust me you'll get use to it

and heeltoeing is gonna be easier lolol
stock shifter is very limp. nothing like a short shifter cant fix!

check for vacuum leaks, new spark plugs, clean airbox filter, throw in some injector cleaner with high grade fuel, not much though almost on dead empty tank

vinnie mack
10-07-2008, 09:50 AM
thanks for the tips. What plugs are recommended for these motors? Stick with Bosch or will any do the job?.

supernaught
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
do not get the platinum, it will be argued but stay away. Bosch coppers(Supers if you can find them) are the way to go.
And yes, the pedals are very close together. I'm 6'2 with sz 14s. Rallycross is fun. also, some hellas would be sweet. There should be wiring there, but if there isnt, you can run new wiring - but first - get a manual so you can see some diagrams.

Wannabe
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
you guys are crazy! I am 6'5 and I fit fine, Just tilt the seat back (Sport Seats) and your Laughing!

supernaught
10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
i don't mean my knees are hitting my face, i mean when i started out, I was catching the brake pedal when lifting off the gas or clutch

slimjim
10-07-2008, 09:09 PM
do not get the platinum, it will be argued but stay away. Bosch coppers(Supers if you can find them) are the way to go.
And yes, the pedals are very close together. I'm 6'2 with sz 14s. Rallycross is fun. also, some hellas would be sweet. There should be wiring there, but if there isnt, you can run new wiring - but first - get a manual so you can see some diagrams.

yes, stay away from platinum plugs, after a couple of months, one of my plugs bridged an therefore caused the car to run on 5 cylinders for a bit.

first tune up or upgrade, 4.1 LSD if the gas prices keep going down, 3.9LSD if they stay and 3.7 LSD if they go back up.....but either way get a limited slip dif in!:D

vinnie mack
10-07-2008, 10:52 PM
thanks for the tip and I pulled the plugs out today and they were the worst plugs I have seen. They were NGKs and I assume platinum considering the condition they were in. Also got rid of the air box and went with the adapter and coned filter. Seems to have helped.

Next is to tackle the fogs. I read the factory harnesses are behind the headlights.

supernaught
10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
true, there should be harnesses on all cars... unless someone cut them....!

slimjim
10-07-2008, 10:54 PM
thanks for the tip and I pulled the plugs out today and they were the worst plugs I have seen. They were NGKs and I assume platinum considering the condition they were in. Also got rid of the air box and went with the adapter and coned filter. Seems to have helped.

Next is to tackle the fogs. I read the factory harnesses are behind the headlights.

ya, there will be 2 wires comming from the same harnes the headlight wires are, one should be yellow, and the other brown (ground) if i remember correctly

Ej_Red
10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Prepare to empty out your wallet. Its a 20 year old bmw.

slimjim
10-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Prepare to empty out your wallet. Its a 20 year old bmw.

.....prepare to to check ur underpants for skid marks, its a 20 year old car with balls.:D

lol dont worry about spending too much money, i bought my car for 400$ and have only spent 600 bucks ish on fixing it after 40 000km. and the car originally had 340 000km. But i did all the work myself.

Ej_Red
10-08-2008, 12:27 AM
You must be really lucky then.

vinnie mack
10-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Struts, rack, water pump, timing belt among things already done. The previous owner pretty much emptied his wallet. That and all done by a shop. I do everything myself including motor swaps so I'm not worried

everlast
10-08-2008, 11:01 AM
That's the best kind of e30 to get. I bought an 88 a while ago for $2500 that came with $9600 in receipts for 4 years. No wonder she wanted to dump it. :)

Note that you can rebuild the shifter mechanism without _too_ much trouble (remember this name: "the bitch clip". it will haunt you) and you don't require the short shift lever at this point. The problem is you likely should pull it all apart first, see what is worn, order the parts, install, then see what you think of it. Then, if the slack is nearly gone, then get yourself a z4 or z3 shifter lever.

Welcome to max!