PDA

View Full Version : hood latch broke need some help/advice

MisTAmaN
09-28-2008, 04:16 PM
one of my buddies just bought an e30 and had it sitting for a week to have enough cash for insurance emissions safet..ect

now what happen was when he tried to pop the hood the latch broke from off the wire and we didnt think nothing of it untill when we tried using pliers the hood still would not open.

i see the wire that it connects to the latch to open the hood but everytime we pull it with pliers, the wire is moving but there is tension so it must have not been lubricated or was jammed. all in all we can't get under the hood which is a problem

can anybody help me out or got any advise?
let me know your comments as anything would help us at this point
thanks

Mista

oldskool3
09-28-2008, 08:00 PM
if you look thourgh the grill beside the driver side head lights you will see the latch (small ectangular box). I has hole in it. You stick a large flat head into the whole and turn clockwise and the hood should pop open. Than you remove the grill/ 2 screws holding the latch than and release cable and replace.

328i Cab
09-30-2008, 10:35 PM
If you haven't already, have someone lift up on the hood while you try to pull the cable - it will often help get it unstuck. My parts car had the same problem and someone coming to look at a part snapped my hood latch handle off for me (how nice). I would just have someone pull up on the hood while pulling the release cable and it popped up every time.

Should be easier than the other way.

craz azn
09-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Nahh, the screwdriver trick in the front grill is a piece of cake man. Much easier.