PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan replacement

noid
09-23-2008, 04:59 PM
I always work on my own car doing everything. However the oil pan gasket replacement seems to be a bit confusing and technical if you dont know what your doing.

Anyone who has done it or knows how to do it want to help me out? Im located in Burlington but can drive out almost anywhere.

Wannabe
09-23-2008, 05:38 PM
its alot of work.. and not easy with out hoist. better off paying shop $150 to do it.

noid
09-25-2008, 02:53 PM
rmp quoted 280 and Canadian tire said 350.

e30_kid89
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I know its a bitch, but if you're doing it on the floor id try to unbolt and bring down the front subframe while using a jack or something to support the engine.

328i Cab
09-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I've done it - it's not THAT bad, you have to drop the steering rack down, you can either massage it out while moving the oil pan or bend the bottom tabs that hold it up. I massaged it out, it was a PITA, would have just bent the tabs next time.

I found the trickiest thing to do was to get the gasket to stay put while trying to get it up on the block and reconnect the oil pickup etc without dropping the bolts.

Make sure you allow plenty of time and you should be ok.

Docherty
09-30-2008, 11:39 PM
if you are going to do it on the ground, jack the car up, put it on stands. remove engine mount bolts from the bottom and all other components such as flywheel cover etc. Then use a piece of wood and your jack to raise the engine for enough clearance. Make sure you have your hood open! piece of cake job.

Ej_Red
10-02-2008, 12:48 AM
There is a good write up on it on the e30tech. If you never done jobs like this, don't attempt on doing it.