PDA

View Full Version : Quick e30 question?

blastedM3
09-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I was filling my car at the gas station tonight and as i got to the top part of the tank, it started leaking from behind the wheel.I looked under and noticed like 2 or 3 pipes that were cut off.I think it goes from the pipe by the gas filling hole to somewhere i cant figure out. Its right behind the passenger wheel.

Can anyone tell me what those pipes are and if its of to drive with the pipes cut off?

thanks
sami

87325I
09-11-2008, 09:42 PM
www.realoem.com is your friend.

blastedM3
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
i'm not looking for parts.....

87325I
09-11-2008, 09:50 PM
I didn't think you were looking for parts, there are diagrams on there including the fuel system. Just plug in your vehicle info. When you looked under where you looking? Inside the passenger fender. If so it sounds like your missing your fuel expansion tank.

slimjim
09-11-2008, 11:13 PM
there is one main pipe going to the tank and the other ones go into this plastic tank which has something to do with emisssions. im not shure, but thats wat ive been told.

and no, u dont need them to drive.

El Gato Liso
09-12-2008, 01:09 AM
that means you're filling it beyong the pump stopping automatically

when ever i did that and pulled out fuel would just dump all out of the car ppl like WTF YOURE GASSING.
but really, probably rust ate out an overflow line? i dunno

cirrusblau
09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
The gas lines explained:

You've got your main filler running into the back of the gas tank - that should be easy to pick out. From the tank, you've got a fuel supply line and a return line - these run up the driver's side of the car to the engine compartment. You've also got a larger breather line that goes to the charcoal canister, also in the engine compartment. This connects to the expansion tank above the LR wheel and has a vinyl hose running through the wheel well behind the shock. Also routed behind the shock are the vent hose and one other vinyl hose. The vent hose is larger - its purpose is to allow air out when you fill the tank with fuel (otherwise the pump will continually automatically shut off because gas backs up the filler as air tries to escape). The other vinyl hose is for vapour recovery and runs to the expansion tank. The expansion tank is there to ensure no liquid gas gets to the charcoal canister.

Every hose must be assumed to have gas in it, with the exception of the breather hose/pipe which should only have gas vapour in it. Any fuel leak is a major safety hazard, particularly if it is on top of the gas tank and could make it's way to the hot exhaust.