PDA

View Full Version : turning signal stopped working

wd948
09-06-2008, 03:43 PM
It is not the biggest problem but the turning signal stopped working on my 86 convertible, left or right, when i move the switch nothing happens but if i hit the 4way switch it works fine, does anyone know what is most likely to be the problem, i would guess there is a relay but i do not know where it is, help would be greatly apreciated,
it is just annoying not having turning signals in montreal

Thank you,
Chris

T.Dot_E30
09-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Check all fuses, there are more than one fuse that controls the circuit.

wd948
09-07-2008, 02:09 AM
thanks, i did check both fuses related to turn signals and they are both fine, also if there was a problem with them the emergency/4way signal would not work, i am thinking the switch maybe but everything else is working and they both stopped at the same

Chris

everlast
09-07-2008, 11:34 AM
4 way uses a different relay than the turn signals. Pull the column off the steering wheel and make sure that the stalk is actually triggering the mechanism that turns on the signals, and if that seems ok (would be unlikely to break in both directions!) then its the relay that is in that area of the steering column.

You can break it open and test it with a multimeter. Sometimes the solder joints will break.

Or you can just replace it with a known good one to test.

Using hand signals on the road is 100% legal BTW if yours aren't working.