PDA

View Full Version : my turn for an E30 road trip

El Gato Liso
08-12-2008, 01:16 AM
well

im driving my e30 from brampton to bronx new york.
but my dad keeps saying if the car breaks down along the way we are leaving it -_-

so

besides an oil change*which i have 20w50 to do tmrw*

any recommendations on preperation?

my e30 will be in bronx for about 1 month or potentially less as my uncle is redoing the entire car for me!

thanks!

Eurostyle
08-12-2008, 01:26 AM
RIP...it was nice knowing you!...ROFL J/K...I dont thing an oil change will help you any...Just make sure everything else looks good...hoses, fuel lines, brake lines, all fluid levels toped up...And bring a tool kit, even the slightest problem can leave you stranded if you dont have some basic tools!*th-up* Good luck!

FuryriderX
08-12-2008, 07:18 AM
and by tool kit, he means a roll of duct tape, a buttload of hose clamps, and some JB weld.

you'll be fine haha

T.Dot_E30
08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
shouldn't be a problem, just don't hit anything!

NickP
08-12-2008, 11:34 AM
The drive is pretty uneventful - there's less than 100 km's of the drive that I would call stressful for the car. You better practice your pothole avoidance techniques.

If you need help planning your route PM me.

El Gato Liso
08-12-2008, 11:44 AM
alright ill dodge those post holes (i practice everyday driving to work anyway lol)

thanks for the offer, but we drive the way same we did for the past 10 years every summer :D bout 8 hour drive with 2 stops not too shabby!

propr'one
08-12-2008, 01:58 PM
pshhha. that's less than 500 miles. I put 1/2 that on my civic yesterday just dropping off lights:P

Kidding. Like tomek says, if you have a e30, have duct tape, hose clamps, WD-40, some lube and basic tools with you.

You'll be fine bro, have fun in NYC. Its a fun town.

EMPOWERD
08-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Make sure you're accessory belt has no cracks in it. My buddy's E30 318is broke a belt in Albany NY, AutoZone didn't have one in stock.

Boots R
08-12-2008, 02:33 PM
pshhha. that's less than 500 miles. I put 1/2 that on my civic yesterday just dropping off lights:P

Thanks for the lights bro. *rockout*

propr'one
08-12-2008, 03:48 PM
^^Chatted with kyle for a while, very cool guy. I feel sorry for his girlfriend, but i guess that's what happens when you ride a bike.

Randy's right, check your belt. I swear by belt lube, most people think it actually makes it worse. Bring pantyhose with you (seriously), you can make a belt out of pantyhose, plus, if your belt doesn't break, you can dress up as a tranny:P

Axxe
08-12-2008, 11:23 PM
A shoelace makes a very good wp/alt belt on an e30.

hadesm5
08-13-2008, 12:27 AM
just keep a spare belt... its cheaper than pantyhose

zackman17
08-13-2008, 12:33 AM

Kidding. Like tomek says, if you have a e30, have duct tape, hose clamps, WD-40, some lube and basic tools with you.

You'll be fine bro, have fun in NYC. Its a fun town.

dont forget the lube :D you never kno bring a jug of water this is a must water is good for filling up your rad if you blow a hose and for rinsing off the coolant that could explode all over the place. happened to my in my accord. i had a plastic box with assorted hoses rebar wire "steel wire" pliers and a flat head and 4 l of water best advice my father ever gave me fixed my hose at the side of a country road. in about 1hr i had to let it cool off a bit.

Eurostyle
08-13-2008, 01:48 AM
^^^Yes! water is a MUST!!! Saved my a$$ last time i blew a radhose/headgasket on my 320i in europe...Just 45min into a 500Km trip i had to do a roadside fix and bring the car back...

El Gato Liso
08-13-2008, 02:55 AM
damn you're all scaring me...but i know its something that i must always ASSUME can happen...which i hope it doesnt.

actually i changed ac, power steering, and alternator belts within the last 2 months!!!!
so they are propr! and i will bring the old ones too and some pantyhose.

i got a bottle of coolant
ill buy a jug of water too
a roll of duct tape
and some clamps.
and tools too xD
i am taking off saturday morning.

propr'one
08-13-2008, 03:25 AM
coolant = pointless. bring water. You can drink it if you're thirsty. You dont actually need any coolant, it just prevents it from freezing (not gonna happen in 20 degree weather), and lubricates the waterpump (doesn't matter for short period of time)

If i had water with me in the car, i likely wouldn't have damaged my motor at all. (i'm still not sure if i did, but i definatly wouldn't've if i had water:()

El Gato Liso
08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
ya i know

my folks grew up in jamaica and all they used was water in the radiators cuz the climate says it can

i gotta start prepping the car, i dont have much time left!

so far all i did was swap the doors off my busted e30 (which is now gone :(
and put them on the current e30...so i have to have 2 different key xD
old doors had holes from rust new doors are bit rusty but nothing compared to previous

only problem was alignment
i couldnt get it to align right...seems like SOMETHING changed from the 88 setup that isnt fitting right with my 90

El Gato Liso
08-13-2008, 11:54 AM
ya i know

my folks grew up in jamaica and all they used was water in the radiators cuz the climate says it can

i gotta start prepping the car, i dont have much time left!

so far all i did was swap the doors off my busted e30 (which is now gone :(
and put them on the current e30...so i have to have 2 different key xD
old doors had holes from rust new doors are bit rusty but nothing compared to previous

only problem was alignment
i couldnt get it to align right...seems like SOMETHING changed from the 88 setup that isnt fitting right with my 90
gotta top up coolant, fill up brake/clutch resevoir
do my oil change, get my photoalbum of cd's back from homegirl
take of my sexy 17's and put back on the bottle caps
and im gonna amp up 87 to 89 octane just for a bit of a cleaner ride
clean spark plugs, clean out the air filter
and most of all clean out my dirty ass interior....its so dirty its not even funny :}

El Gato Liso
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
car is prepped and im heading out now

see y'all next week max!

Wannabe
08-19-2008, 12:14 AM
I drove my 85 from edmonton - toronto towing a 1400lb trailer in november.. and i have over 400k on my car.. you will be fine!