PDA

View Full Version : Clean Engine Compartment

MVPIRES
07-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Can I just spray it with a hose or do I have to cover anything up! Do I just use water or spray it with something first?(1995 E36)

shimajer
07-23-2008, 01:15 AM
u can use tire foam.. it works for me.

Eurostyle
07-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Tire foam!? WTF!

Engine cleaner/degreaser works great...The Castrol cleaner is one of the best...but you can get something almost as good at Princes Auto for much less...You can spray a BMW engine with no worries, it would start/run fine after...

v_bimmer
07-23-2008, 02:20 AM
the only things i would cover is air intake(if you have k&n for example), fuse box, and alternator!!

AceOfSpades
07-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Tire foam!? WTF!

Tire shine for the dressing*th-up*

Eurostyle
07-23-2008, 02:35 AM

I know that much! Used to do that at shows...works nice. But you still have to clean the engine bay first! If not you just have shinny cr@p!!!

Steve@ASPTuning
07-23-2008, 03:41 AM
PS21S!!! and let it soak.

Or if you have a buddy that works at a car wash spend a good two hours like I did... hehe.

I did a full car wash and did the engine bay using a more agressive form or tire foam and let it soak. Then high pressure spray to get rid of the stuck on tough stuff.

Thanks,
Steve
ASPTuning

propr'one
07-23-2008, 06:36 AM
^^spraying water into your engine bay, particularly with a power washer is a brilliantly stupid idea.

Bullet Ride
07-23-2008, 08:37 AM
everyone already had this areguement a few months ago
http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96610
Some people do some people don't. The people that are doing it are having no problems (myself included). The people that don't do it are just scared of what could potentially happen if they were to do it.

...some engines you have to be more careful than others but as long as your careful when doing it you should be fine.

Soldo
07-23-2008, 09:22 AM
everyone already had this areguement a few months ago
http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96610
Some people do some people don't. The people that are doing it are having no problems (myself included). The people that don't do it are just scared of what could potentially happen if they were to do it.

...some engines you have to be more careful than others but as long as your careful when doing it you should be fine.

Agreed. I was skeptical at first. Once i did it (gas powered pressure washer) there was nothing to worry about. Didn't cover a thing since i still have my stock airbox. I just propped the hood open and let her have it. Didn't have a single problem after.

Gamite
07-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Been spraying water into my engine for years now, (thanks Randy) Haven't tried to wash the M5 bay yet.

As long as you have the engine on before you start (just to get it warm, not hot), you should be fine. Once I couldn't start it, but I just let it dry overnight, and it was fine.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66105&stc=1&d=1171214752

zackman17
07-23-2008, 09:57 AM

ok DONT use tire shine. why you ask because tire shine contains petroleum jelly. and when it gets heated up it dries and crystallizes and then you have a really dirty engine. when you spray it on the hoses for the first week or 2 it looks great until the tire shine turns brown. been there done that. what you should be using is a protectant. what i used when i detailed at manahiem auctions was protect all by car brite. but dealers ect use tire shine.(this is wrong they dont care if you engine gets dirty a week later they just want it to look nice for delivery ect) when i got my jeep in january they put that shit in my engine. it attracts dust/salt less than a week later it was al crystalized and dried. My engine was really dirty. stay away from tire protectant and get a good all purpose protectant like armor all or something

Soldo
07-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I was told WD40 does a good job of detailing and shinyin the engine up.

zackman17
07-23-2008, 10:17 AM
I was told WD40 does a good job of detailing and shinyin the engine up.

ehhh i dont kno about that one but it is grease and it will attract dust ect and a all purpose protectant protect the plastic and seals. wd40 is just spray grease. i kno i would use it on my car.

vadim321go
07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
simple green (Y) iv never tried though - dont really see a purpose

zackman17
07-23-2008, 12:04 PM
simple green (Y) iv never tried though - dont really see a purpose

simple green is a cleaner.. you can go to wallmart and get a 4.4l jug of this degreaser in a purple bottle for 11dollars it's good stuff put some in a spray bottle and go to town mix in a little water cause i find it really concentrated it's also good for wheel wells and tires and rims at napa the same stuff costs 24 and change WTF but seriously it's just as strong at the industrial degreaser ive used for 11 cant go wrong

vadim321go
07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
wats it called?

zackman17
07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
wats it called?

give me a second ill go check

zackman17
07-23-2008, 01:18 PM
it's called SUPER CLEEN it's in a purple jug same size as windshield washer fluid and it's 11 or 12 dollars and it works wonders. it's bio degradable too

vadim321go
07-23-2008, 01:47 PM
what object should i wash my rims with? it seems like anything that touches them gets so dirty that i cant use it again...like a peanut sponge or a towel...after a use are filthy

zackman17
07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
what object should i wash my rims with? it seems like anything that touches them gets so dirty that i cant use it again...like a peanut sponge or a towel...after a use are filthy
go to ct and you can get a massive bag of rags for about 10bucks or you can just pressure wash them :D

Axxe
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM

Dollar store - assorted plastic brushes.

Bullet Ride
07-23-2008, 02:49 PM

I guess it could depend on the finish on your rim and the type of rims that you have, but I have been using a regular scrub brush, a couple of old tooth brushes and the same sponge for the past few years. Yeah the sponge does look a bit dirty because there is some grease and brake dust stuck in it but like I said l've been using it for a few years and my rims still look mint.

greekthang
07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
What I like to do is get some greek spit on the dirty parts then lick it clean. Works the best for me !!!!

vadim321go
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
should i use some souvlaki in the rims and rub it with gyros ?

Boots R
07-23-2008, 03:06 PM

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2426/rofl3bj0.png

Gamite
07-23-2008, 03:09 PM
be careful with castrol superclean, you may need to dilute it before applying it. It will stain bare metal.

MVPIRES
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
WOW! thanks alot guys; I'm going to try the SUPER CLEAN.

zackman17
07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
be careful with castrol superclean, you may need to dilute it before applying it. It will stain bare metal.

agreed! you should mix it half water and half super clean and if it is not strong enough add more super clean. ive mixed it way stronger like 20% water 80%chemical and i havent had problems. I just end up sprying the wheel wells and tires and rims with it, and then rinse it off with a 3000psi pressure washer needless to say all dirt/greese/brake dust comes off without scrubbing or wiping it will really depend on how dirty the rims are and or the engine compartment i sprayed the valve cover on the e30 and pressurewashed it and wow looks decent. i would just stay away from spraying it on wires and or seals. and dont let it sit for long because it dries up

///MG
07-23-2008, 05:49 PM
.... some of the coin car wash places have that green engine degreaser which foams up... i usually rinse down the engine bay at low pressure, apply the engine degreaser... let it do it's thing, wash the car and at the end hose down the engine bay with low pressure. i don't like the idea of high pressure going into the engine bay since bmw uses a lot of copper wires which corrode with time and since my car's a 98 i don't want to be fixing any wires which high pressure rinse may damage.

cheers.

Gamite
07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
yeah, I apply the water first, then apply the solvent, let sit, then rinse. on really stubborn spots, use a brush.

greekthang
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Sure that will work that way you can get into the really really small holes with your gyro :D