PDA

View Full Version : Bad clutch Pedal / master cylinder

NipponM5
07-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I saw someone post the same symptoms somewhere so I thought I'd share my experience regarding my clutch pedal just in case.

When I first got my car 1st and 2nd were a bit notchy. I thought it was normal actually. As I drove the car through the week I noticed that as the car warmed up it became harder and harder to shift into gear. :confused:

I took the car to a shop cuz I figured maybe there was air in the hydraulics. They tried to bleed the system but it didn't make any difference. :huh?:

They checked the master cylinder (I wish I had pics). The shaft of the master cylinder was bent and the hole where the clutch pedal attaches was sheared back. The clutch pedal was on the verge of just falling off!! *mumble* They were able to weld things back together for now and it seems fine.

The car drives much better now since the clutch wasn't fully engaging / disengaging due to the bent arm.

Apparently this can happen with some of the older cars as a result of metal fatigue?? Especially cars with a heavy clutch like my M5.

bmwm5lover
07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Hmmmmmm. Interesting. Something I experience is a spongy clutch bedal once in a while that has no feeling at first, then engages/disengages. It happens rarely and for short periods of time. I feel it is probably the master cylinder starting to give out.

Dude, are you on m5board.com ? if not, make sure you join, there is an abundance of M5 specific info there, you can;t get anywhere else.

NipponM5
07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey. I've looked at M5 board but haven't actually joined yet. I should get on that. Thanks.

v_bimmer
07-22-2008, 08:36 PM
DAMN NO WAY, i have the exact same symptoms for my car, it barely drivibale in 1st and 2nd, and when its hot its even worse!! ive been told that its my gears, but i know its not!! what shop did you take it to?? what exactly did they do??

NipponM5
07-23-2008, 07:04 AM
I took it to Auto Trend. But I would suggest taking off the cover near your pedals and look at the top of your clutch pedal and your master cylinder. Just check and see if your master cylinder is bent or clutch pedal at the top.

They welded my clutch pedal and straightened the master cylinder shaft.