PDA

View Full Version : Accident - need help/advice ASAP

330Hi
07-22-2008, 09:33 AM
The street sweeper truck rear ended my Acura that was PARKED outside my house. Called the cops, got a case number and the other dude's insurance information. I hate dealing with insurance companies... pretty sure it shouldnt affect my rate etc. But what should I do now? Claim? Get quote first? How do I make sure that my premium will not be effected. I dont want to give them the slightest chance to try to fk me over... *uzi*

DANIMAL
07-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Shouldn't have to worry about increasing rates, the sweeper rear ended you. Start the claim, most of the time you can get a rental for the interm provided by the insurance company(although I had to wait two days to get it for some reason, then I had it till everything was all sorted out).

Insurance is a slow process most of the time. Start things now cuz it will likely be awhile before its taken care off. If your concerned just call your broker, they shold be more than happy to help you out with questions and get the process started.

How bad is it? pics?

330Hi
07-22-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm guessing over $1000. Rear trunk, tail light and probably bumper too... needs replacing.

Another question: The car was parked in "P". When he rammed in from behind, the car moved a good 10 feet. Car doesn't move when its in P. Do you think anything might've happend to the transmission?

DANIMAL
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm guessing over $1000. Rear trunk, tail light and probably bumper too... needs replacing.

Another question: The car was parked in "P". When he rammed in from behind, the car moved a good 10 feet. Car doesn't move when its in P. Do you think anything might've happend to the transmission?

It's possible, you would have to drive it around to find out out. That would be a lot of stress on the entire driveline to move the car 10 ft. Did the car actually roll forward or are there flat spots on the tires/rubber on the pavement? What was on the road where you were parked? Gravel or dirt would reduce the kenetic energy required to move the car as there would be less friction between the tires and the ground. How fast was this sweeper going, est?

Talk to the insurance company about it, they should have no issues paying for it to be checked out at the dealer.

330Hi
07-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Just plain road - asphalt.
No screech marks so it probably rolled forward...

So if it drives ok, its all good?

DANIMAL
07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Just plain road - asphalt.
No screech marks so it probably rolled forward...

So if it drives ok, its all good?
might want to have it looked at to be safe, as I am not a mechanic, but I would think if it drives fine its probably ok.

jstalin
07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
You have to report it first, then call your ins company & see where you should take it in for a quote

330Hi
07-22-2008, 11:56 AM
What happens if it's a write off?
Do I have the option to bail out and just keep the car (so that I can part out)
Might as well NOT have a claim on record... which they will use against me anyways later in the future...

jstalin
07-22-2008, 12:21 PM
It won't go down as an at-fault claim so no worries there

If they write it off they usually give you an option of buying it back at low-cost

Boots R
07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
What happens if it's a write off?
Do I have the option to bail out and just keep the car (so that I can part out)
Might as well NOT have a claim on record... which they will use against me anyways later in the future...

a write off over a tail light and bumper?

Bartacus
07-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I'd contact your insurance company ASAP. I got rear ended early this year, and I found out the rules have changed a LOT since I was last in an accident. Biggest shock for me was MY insurance company paid for my damages, even though it was zero fault on my part. Insurance never went up one bit, so as long as the cop verifies that it was zero fault on your part, you don't have anything to worry about.

Bart

Boots R
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I'd contact your insurance company ASAP. I got rear ended early this year, and I found out the rules have changed a LOT since I was last in an accident. Biggest shock for me was MY insurance company paid for my damages, even though it was zero fault on my part. Insurance never went up one bit, so as long as the cop verifies that it was zero fault on your part, you don't have anything to worry about.

Bart

Yeah, they'll pay you and go after their insurance company for the money. Alot easier that way.