PDA

View Full Version : Do these rotors look good?

dbworld4k
07-21-2008, 01:05 PM
From the pics, does it look like they're worth buying or do they look worn down for immediate replacement?

Hasselhoff
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
They look pretty wizzed to me.

dbworld4k
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Crap, sorry about the massive filesize.

Boots R
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Why are you buying used rotors?

DriveItSideways
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM
waste of money, that rotor would cause huge vibrations.

Steve@ASPTuning
07-21-2008, 01:11 PM
How much do they want for them?

And No.

Looks like there's still some meat left on them, and probably from the looks of the lines created from the brake pads. It'll have to be machined out and leave you with even less meat. But you can't because their cross-drilled.

Its not recommended that you buy used rotors as brakes are the most important part of your vehicle. And those rotors look like its had a lot of play in its life....

Plus, there's no warranty in case of manufacturer's defect or warpage.

Hope that helps. I know if it was me,personally I wouldn't buy those for my E46.

Steve
ASPTuning

vadim321go
07-21-2008, 01:11 PM
blank brembos cost 80 a piece....dont bother with drilled rotors ESP used ones!

DANIMAL
07-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Why are you buying used rotors?

Espically cross-drilled. Take a look at Dave's(98Dinan3) rear rotors next time you see him. Besides being very well worn, as those used ones are, there are stress fractures moving outwards from the cross drilled holes.

eg. http://www.modbargains.com/images/Products/Power%20Slot/cracked_rotor.jpg

And I would imagine much worse fractures on a rotor that has been that well used.

dbworld4k
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't need to be preached on the OMFG DRILLED ROTORS CRACK! But thanks :)

Kev, it's used BBK and I agree it looks pretty worn...
Vadim, I know about OE-sized Brembo blanks, I just wanted to explore some "used" BBK options instead.

King Luis
07-21-2008, 01:35 PM
buy new pads, rotors, and fluid and then buy used calipers/hardware. but make sure it's in good condition. i'd shy away from used rotors. you don't know if they are warped until you install them. plus those rotors look like they got some pretty bad grooves.

DANIMAL
07-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't need to be preached on the OMFG DRILLED ROTORS CRACK!

Kev, it's used BBK and I agree it looks pretty worn...
Vadim, I know about OE-sized Brembo blanks, I just wanted to explore some "used" BBK options instead.

Not trying to preach, just stating why I would not do it and backing it up with fact. You cant go on a public forum and not expect peoples opinions. Use whatever you want I don't really care, just seems to me like a waste of $$. Unless your buying the kit at a really good price, then it might be worth it just for the calipers/brackets.

T.Dot_E30
07-21-2008, 01:42 PM
come on man, you shouldn't even be thinking of buying used brake parts.

Steve@ASPTuning
07-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Okay guys calm down.... haha we don't need to flame him about buying used rotors. I think he gets the point ;)

Steve
ASPTuning

dbworld4k
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
It's the pricing that has got me thinking ;). For sure I would prefer to just grab everything but the rotors and pads - just wanted your opinions on what life those rotors seem to have left.

I really want just the calipers/brackets. Next step is to find out how much new rotors and pads would cost and see if I can convince the seller to part the calieprs/brackets.

I haven't, and wouldn't buy used brake parts (rotors/pads) unless they were practically new. In case of used BBKs, I'm all for the hardware not the rotors/pads.

maroli
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
OMFG CROSS DRILLED ROTORS CRACK

I guess I'm in trouble then cause I'm getting a set :)

but seriously, they don't always crack, I mean tons of manufacturers use them, like Porsche and Mercedes. Unless you're tracking or ride the brake pedal like a mofo, I think you're good with 'em. Not those of course, but in general

Hasselhoff
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
It's the pricing that has got me thinking ;). For sure I would prefer to just grab everything but the rotors and pads - just wanted your opinions on what life those rotors seem to have left.

I really want just the calipers/brackets. Next step is to find out how much new rotors and pads would cost and see if I can convince the seller to part the calieprs/brackets.

I haven't, and wouldn't buy used brake parts (rotors/pads) unless they were practically new. In case of used BBKs, I'm all for the hardware not the rotors/pads.

You might be able to get some more use out of those pads if they're in decent shape w/ no cracks etc on the linings and have some 'meat' left on them, but those rotors look like they're finished.

IMO - I can't see the seller wanting to part out the calipers & brackets...but you never know. Still, I bet the price for the whole lot is still pretty good - you should DO IT!! Besides, you've now got 19" of rim to fill up with brakes *rockout*

dbworld4k
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
David you've got NO CLUE how much it hurts looking at my dinky stock brakes behind those 19s... My front brakes are due for replacement so I'm seriously tempted to go BIG :) I have a horrible BBK fetish, LOL!

mirek
07-21-2008, 05:09 PM
OMFG CROSS DRILLED ROTORS CRACK

I guess I'm in trouble then cause I'm getting a set :)

but seriously, they don't always crack, I mean tons of manufacturers use them, like Porsche and Mercedes. Unless you're tracking or ride the brake pedal like a mofo, I think you're good with 'em. Not those of course, but in general

Porsche rotors have the holes cast in. Your BMW rotors have the holes drilled in by a little asian dude in scarborough with a corded drill. I know because I've been to his shop off of Warden, the guy makes a killing buying blanks, drilling them and throwing them in brembo boxes.

I bought a set and I had massive vibration at my steering wheel during braking, lesson learned. dont waste your money! get zimmerman slotted instead if you like the look.

98Dinan3
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Get the Wilwood kit from UUC. It is, BY FAR, the best value around in BBKs. I've had nothing but "great success" with them. BTW... the "Dave", Dan was talking about is me. CD rotors aren't worth the extra cash they charge for them. Both rear rotors have cracked on me, and that is only after a few track days. Just get OE blank, as they're cheap, and will last longer/give better braking. Rob Levinson, from UUC, is also the BEST aftermarket vendor for BMW stuff. I've NEVER had a problem dealing with him, and he firmly stands behind all his products.

maroli
07-21-2008, 05:33 PM
My rotors are TMS :)
I think they're zimmerman cross drilled, but if not, they're definitely not little asian dude drilled ones! lol

Porsche rotors have the holes cast in. Your BMW rotors have the holes drilled in by a little asian dude in scarborough with a corded drill. I know because I've been to his shop off of Warden, the guy makes a killing buying blanks, drilling them and throwing them in brembo boxes.

I bought a set and I had massive vibration at my steering wheel during braking, lesson learned. dont waste your money! get zimmerman slotted instead if you like the look.

2K6E60
07-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Off topic, but maroli can i take a ride with your primary ride?

maroli
07-22-2008, 12:39 AM
my primary ride read your comment, and she thinks that your sig is indicative that you're a decent, well-spoken, classy individual and not a perv. And her answer is still no.

ZHP_Bimmer05
07-22-2008, 12:41 AM
looks nice, i know this is off topic but 1,000post mark reached!:) lol finally

dbworld4k
07-22-2008, 12:50 AM
my primary ride read your comment, and she thinks that your sig is indicative that you're a decent, well-spoken, classy individual and not a perv. And her answer is still no.

LOL!

Boots R
07-22-2008, 12:59 AM

bro you ****in kill me hahahahhaha

shimajer
07-22-2008, 01:13 AM
UUC is having 15% off for their BBKs.. you should check them out.

Steve@ASPTuning
07-22-2008, 02:39 AM
We supply Wilwood too! and Brembo!

AceOfSpades
07-22-2008, 03:10 AM

LOL! my thoughts exactly.
then i went to the 18 yr old thread to see if he posted it there. but no, then i bumped it ahaha

db, i remember what you said at the meet about how often you go through brake pads, so i'd say buy a new one :D

JunzieB
07-22-2008, 02:19 PM

I think everyone wanted to ask that question:D

Epic answer LMAO!!!