PDA

View Full Version : Fake e30M3.....

daytona
02-14-2002, 01:23 PM
Just seen a fake E30M3 at Yorkdale mall.It was a 1989 325 with the M3 body kit but the oblvious giveaway was the rear window and the rear spoiler.He even had the "nerve" to put the stock M3 emblem on the rear and grill.Great packaging but no substance.In my opinion those are the same people who buy fake Rolexes to try to impress their friends."get real" as they say.... *no-no*

SickFinga
02-14-2002, 01:51 PM
what about rear window?
any difference between e30 m3 and e30?
I hate fake people

EMPOWERD
02-14-2002, 02:14 PM
The rear window on the M3's are raked at a much shallower angle (the rear speaker deck is 50% larger) and the trunk lid is much shorter (and higher). The reason for this is to make the rear wing actually functional by allowing the air across the roof travel down the rear window without making too much turbulance (wind tunnels) and allowing the rear wing to create downforce. I'm sure Rob's got some good pics of E30's to share for comparison.

That's why it's hard to mate "fake" M3 fenders to the non-M E30.... it's all in the rear quarter!

EMPOWERD
02-14-2002, 02:16 PM
-http://www.dtmpower.net/featured_car/september/Dscn5815.jpg

AzN_E46
02-15-2002, 10:09 PM
the rear lights look different.....am i right??

NickP
02-16-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by NOS
the rear lights look different.....am i right??

The m3 rear lights are the same as the early e30's.

Randy was pointing out the difference in the thickness of the c pillar (back window to rear window) and the slope of the rear window.

Gamite
02-16-2002, 01:33 AM
Hrm, intersting, you learn a new thing every day. Now I can go spot out those fake M3's.

M3West
02-16-2002, 01:45 AM
Nice quality pic empowerd! Car looks good.*th-up*

M3Pilot
02-17-2002, 08:40 AM
I've seen a few fake ones over here, and it always makes me laugh when I see them amd they see me knowing that I'm sitting in the real deal, plus thee normally r/h/d over here which makes them look even worse LOL.

daytona
02-18-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by M3Pilot
I've seen a few fake ones over here, and it always makes me laugh when I see them amd they see me knowing that I'm sitting in the real deal, plus thee normally r/h/d over here which makes them look even worse LOL.

Exactly my point,either you have a real M3 or don't.Substance over image...of course stlyling is important but when its time to "walk the walk" can you produce?...e30M3 is a classic track car,it can be mundane on the street but when its on the track the true heritage comes thru,its a pure race car....*th-up*

Eurostyle
02-18-2002, 02:55 AM
I don't think you should be that hard on those "fake" E30 M3's. After all, not everybody has $15-20K to spend on the real thing.
And how about ALL the fake E36's???!!! With some M3 skirts, mirrors and rims they can go unnoticed! It takes A LOT of work to get the E30 to look close to an M3. Last time i checked the front bumper was $1800 and the rear $1600, thats not including all the fenders an 1/4 panels... But i still agree that they should NEVER put the M3 badge on it if its NOT real!

daytona
02-18-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
I don't think you should be that hard on those "fake" E30 M3's. After all, not everybody has $15-20K to spend on the real thing.
And how about ALL the fake E36's???!!! With some M3 skirts, mirrors and rims they can go unnoticed! It takes A LOT of work to get the E30 to look close to an M3. Last time i checked the front bumper was $1800 and the rear $1600, thats not including all the fenders an 1/4 panels... But i still agree that they should NEVER put the M3 badge on it if its NOT real!

Sorry to sound that Im putting down the "wannabes" but Im truly not,but all Im saying for all the money the owners of the e30 "318-325is" putting into their car to make it look like a M3 they could almost buy the real thing.Of course thats my own opinion and have absolutely no bearing against the owners of such cars.Peace....:cool:

E36Pete
02-18-2002, 01:29 PM
That convertible "M3" is the first fake that I actually liked:cool:

I could see someone wanting a convertible, but liking the M3 body and doing something like this. It's fine with me as long as they never badge it to be one.

People who put the performance badges on their car, when it's not the real deal, are just plain stupid... Anything like, R-Spec, AMG, Dinan... What are they thinking, the only people who would care are the same people who will bust the fake!

I'd like to get the M3 body kit for my car, just because I think they look sweet! However, I'd NEVER badge the car to be an M3... infact I removed all the badges except the roundels*th-up*

M3West
02-18-2002, 05:44 PM
A convertible E-30 M3 would not be seen in North America if it weren't for a few brave souls who have the extra bucks to blow on two cars. I know of one owner who took a wrecked E-30 M3 and took the time to transfer all the M goodies to a stock 325 convertible. It looked really nice, but just wasn't a real M3.

JeorgeBaptista
02-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Actually I came across a web site a while ago of a guy on the west coast that imported an e30 M3 convertable from the UK. He spent mega bucks to have it DOT approved.

M3West
02-18-2002, 06:03 PM
Before buying my U.S.-spec E-30 M3, I looked into buying a Euro-spec. model and shipping it to the U.S. The E.P.A./D.O.T. red tape was so extensive, that I decided to buy a U.S.-spec model and save a lot of hassle and a lot of money. i suppose if you have to have a real convertible M3, it's just a matter of time and money.