View Full Version : Black BMW killed woman on Danforth

Fel
07-15-2008, 10:15 AM
http://www.thestar.com/article/460307

Woman killed crossing intersection

Jul 15, 2008 04:30 AM
Brett Popplewell
Staff Reporter

What began as a simple fender-bender on Danforth Ave. early yesterday afternoon ended four blocks away with the horrific death of a pedestrian.

A 51-year-old woman died in the middle of the busy intersection of Coxwell and Danforth Aves. after a black BMW ran a red light while travelling west, sideswiped a van and hit the woman at "an extremely high rate of speed," then smashed into a northbound truck. The woman was catapulted across the intersection.

"I was right beside her," said a visibly shaken Vincenzo Puopolo, who was riding his bike near the intersection at the time of the accident.

"She got dropped right beside me.

"I watched her die."

Police closed the intersection for four hours yesterday as they tried to understand why the BMW sped through the light after having fled an earlier collision with a parked Honda just four blocks east on Danforth Ave.

Carly Robinson, 20, had barely parked her Honda on the north side of Danforth Ave. near Roseheath Ave. when it was sideswiped by the BMW.

"He had a blank look on his face," Robinson said of the BMW driver after he hit her car.

By the time Robinson had left her vehicle to speak with the other driver, he was gone barrelling along Danforth Ave. toward Coxwell Ave.

She was still in shock about what had just happened when she heard the bang from down the road.

"If he had stopped here, no one would be dead right now," she said.

Police say the driver of the BMW, a 60-year-old man, was removed from his car by paramedics and taken to a nearby hospital where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Sgt. Tim Burrows of Toronto police traffic services said police believe the BMW driver had a medical condition, which may explain his actions.

"Speed is one of the causal factors," Burrows said. "Alcohol has not been ruled out," however, there were no obvious signs of impairment.

The woman's body remained on Danforth Ave. at 4 p.m. yesterday, more than two hours after the accident. Pieces of the demolished BMW could be found scattered across the intersection while the red dump truck that halted the BMW's journey across Coxwell Ave. remained partly in the intersection, with its nose inches from the doorstep of a nearby bank.

Police have notified the woman's husband of the accident but did not release her name last night.

Now, what happened was pretty sad, I'll give you that. Really shitty of the guy to bolt from the first accident, but to go on and cause this is nuts. Maybe a lesson... don't flee from the scene of your first accident or you might have more?

The only thing that struck me about the writing of this article, however, is how often the BMW is mentioned. I'm sure it happens in other situations, but it seems that whenever a BMW is involved in some sort of car related tragedy, they need to hammer in the fact that it was a BMW. The word "BMW" showed up 8 times in that article, instead of "car". I'm not trying to defend the brand here, I just sometimes notice that they make a point of drilling home what kind of car it was.

BimmerboyPH
07-15-2008, 10:37 AM
What a shame:(

Your right. While i was reading it i noticed that BMW was mentioned alot. Its odd

5JABIJ8
07-15-2008, 10:44 AM
^ Media is giving bmw drivers a bad name!

5style
07-15-2008, 11:14 AM

again

jstalin
07-15-2008, 11:19 AM
very sad, only 20 years old killed :(

Bullet Ride
07-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Well there are a couple stereotypes that the jealous like to use such as:
How's a BMW different from a porcupine? Well, the pricks are on the inside, of course.
and something along the lines: For many people, the BMW owner is a thirty-something exec flashing his headlights in your rearview while they swerve across all the lanes.

They think that BMW drivers are, as Clarkson would say, cocks and they will take advantage of any oportunity they have to give us a bad reputation.

bmwm5lover
07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
and something along the lines: For many people, the BMW owner is a thirty-something exec flashing his headlights in your rearview while they swerve across all the lanes.

Man, make that twenty soething and you got me.:D

davericher20
07-15-2008, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=Fel;1176690]http://www.thestar.com/article/460307

Now, what happened was pretty sad, I'll give you that. Really shitty of the guy to bolt from the first accident, but to go on and cause this is nuts. Maybe a lesson... don't flee from the scene of your first accident or you might have more?

The article said he had a medical condition, probably couldn't stop if he wanted to.

5style
07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Man, make that twenty soething and you got me.:D

a library exec :P couldn t help it!

EMPOWERD
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
They think the 60yr old "BMW" driver may have been experiencing a seizure at the time of the accident.

BMW_7
07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Black BMW: 1
Woman: 0

am i gonna get bant for this

El Gato Liso
07-15-2008, 02:18 PM
lol on 680 dude was like

an accident on the danofrt involving a black BEEMER
i laughed

///Maluco
07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
It's a real shame what happened to the 51yr. old woman. May she RIP

BTW...was that a BMW that caused all that?

davericher20
07-15-2008, 05:56 PM
lol on 680 dude was like

an accident on the danofrt involving a black BEEMER
i laughed

Ya me too, ridiculous.

I don't think I've ever heard a breaking news story of a TOYOTA involved in a hit and run.

johnoz
07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
What kind of BMW does anybody know?

Boots R
07-15-2008, 06:28 PM
e90

woofster
07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Y'know even before the OP brought up the point about "BMW" being repeatedly mentioned, I told myself the same thing and have already come to the conclusion that that article was a journalistic piece of crap mid-way through the article. I mentioned this in another online thread how every time a high-end car is involved in an accident, the media just has to keep re-iterating the brand of the car and not just state that it was "a car". It's a totally irrelevant point and it downright annoys me. Ridiculous.

Jim .E.
07-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Y'know even before the OP brought up the point about "BMW" being repeatedly mentioned, I told myself the same thing and have already come to the conclusion that that article was a journalistic piece of crap mid-way through the article. I mentioned this in another online thread how every time a high-end car is involved in an accident, the media just has to keep re-iterating the brand of the car and not just state that it was "a car". It's a totally irrelevant point and it downright annoys me. Ridiculous.

yup. just like when the Lambo crashed. They kept repeating "Lamborghini" over and over it got annoying

kamus
07-15-2008, 11:04 PM
If she checked for approaching traffic before stepping out just because the light said it was ok, she'd still be alive. What proportion of pedestrians in your experience actively avoid eye contact with drivers and step out as soon as the light changes? More than 90% for me..

johnoz
07-15-2008, 11:09 PM
If she checked for approaching traffic before stepping out just because the light said it was ok, she'd still be alive. What proportion of pedestrians in your experience actively avoid eye contact with drivers and step out as soon as the light changes? More than 90% for me..

Come on now. She is 50 something in the heat of that summer afternoon, you can't expect her to be that paranoid all the time. Remember as we age we get weaker.

The driver in the car possibly was a nut job, who took an innocent life in a senseless way.

kamus
07-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Come on now. She is 50 something in the heat of that summer afternoon, you can't expect her to be that paranoid all the time. Remember as we age we get weaker.

The driver in the car possibly was a nut job, who took an innocent life in a senseless way.

It is not 'paranoid' to use ones eyes and ears to check for approaching traffic before stepping out onto a busy road like Danforth. It is pure common sense. I don't know what she was taught, but I was taught to "Stop, look, listen, think" BEFORE stepping out. Age brings experience. If we get weaker as we age we should be even more 'paranoid' as you put it, about something as inherently dangerous as crossing the street. Red light or not.

I'll reserve judgement on the driver until the Police reveal what his 'medical condition' actually was.

Meegis
07-16-2008, 12:24 PM
yup. just like when the Lambo crashed. They kept repeating "Lamborghini" over and over it got annoying

Same with the audi crash a couple weeks back...

The didnt just hammer AUDI, they specifically said audi S4, the S4 struck, ESSSS 4,, they clearly made the distinction that it wasn't just an A4.

Dr. Flyview
07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Someone said he might've been having a seizure. Makes sense, could have been a complex partial seizure wherein he would've been in his own little world with very little outward consciousness.

slimjim
07-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Someone said he might've been having a seizure. Makes sense, could have been a complex partial seizure wherein he would've been in his own little world with very little outward consciousness.

so he was baked while driving?....

5style
07-17-2008, 07:23 AM
what kind of seizure lets you hit a car, then speed off and hit a pedestrian?

NipponM5
07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I think saying it was the woman's own fault is a little crass. Depending on the speed this thing was going, a car can get up on you real fast. The media makes points, although irrelevant, to spark the interest of the consumer. That's what it's about.

Regarding seizures, I have personally seen a guy once completely trash his car in a parking lot by driving into walls and over curbs. At first I thought he was drunk, turns out he was having issues from his diabetes.

Lets wait for the investigation to be done before jumping to conclusions.

kamus
07-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I think the way pedestrians assume the road belongs to them when the light says so is also crass. It's yet another manifestation of the sense of entitlement. I hope it's clear I'm not defending the driver. We're all responsible for our own safety out there. The car was not travelling faster than the speed of light. She *would* have seen it coming if she was looking out for herself. I personally never stop checking both ways until I am all the way over onto the sidewalk. On our dead straight roads there is no excuse for getting hit by a car. How can you argue with "stop look listen think" ? Pedestrians I've seen consistently don't stop, don't look, don't think. If we drove like they walk there would be utter carnage and blood on the streets every second of every day.

NipponM5
07-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I agree that pedestrians often do not pay attention and I often get ticked off driving in the city because of ignorant pedestrians as well as drivers. (Not to say I'm the greatest myself). All I ask is that you think of the things you've been hit with in your life, and imagine their speed. lol I know I've been hit by a lot of things that were moving way slower than a car can move. Since we weren't there, I'd suggest we don't have enough information to decide what this woman did or didn't do or know.

Boots R
07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
what kind of seizure lets you hit a car, then speed off and hit a pedestrian?

one that locks your legs up. He sideswiped the first car and kept driving.

JunzieB
07-17-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't know what she was taught,

She was taught that elderly people deserve respect because they are veterans on this earth.:P

Guess she thought wrong:D

I think that statement is a ticket to hell:confused:

kamus
07-17-2008, 10:53 AM
She was taught that elderly people deserve respect because they are veterans on this earth.:P

Niether my respect, nor that driver's respect could have saved her life. I've already explained what would have. Respect can be deserved by some, but it also has to be earned. Did she have enough respect for the risks of being hit?

5style
07-17-2008, 02:42 PM

I think that statement is a ticket to hell:confused:

we drive bmws. They come from germany. The germans had nazis. We are all going to hell for driving bmws. Kidding. I was trying to be funny. FaLE

Boots R
07-17-2008, 03:06 PM
we drive bmws. They come from germany. The germans had nazis. We are all going to hell for driving bmws. Kidding. I was trying to be funny. FaLE

VW or Porsche would make more sense. You fail at life.

1BADRIDE
07-17-2008, 03:28 PM

LMAO.

Drive around in Markham or Richmond Hill. :D

Betray
07-17-2008, 06:06 PM
hmmm http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_24823.aspx