PDA

View Full Version : Diff and Cold Start Issues

e30lov
07-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Hey, 2 winters ago, i got stuck in some snow, and i rocked the car hard to get it out, and i did. However after driving for awhile (30-45 minutes) i noticed almost like a slippage, the car felt like it would grab and then lose it. So i bought a parts car, and swapped the diff's and the problem was gone. This last winter, i got stuck and the same thing happend again, Same symptoms and everything. Now is something else causing it to mess up something in the diff? Or did i just get unlucky again with this recent diff i put in?

btw its a 5 speed, 4 door

Also, when the car is started cold it idles real high, around 1200-1500 rpms, until it the temp gage reaches the end of the blue mark. I replaced the ICV and no luck?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

everlast
07-15-2008, 09:14 AM
For the idle, I would grab the haynes and use it to check the coolant temp sensor output values.

For the diff, have you checked / replaced the fluid in it? You may have burned out the clutch in the diff if you rev'd it like mad for a long while one wheel was stuck and the fluid was low.

e30lov
07-16-2008, 12:08 AM
yeah, ill add some fluid and see if that helps, and ill look into the coolant sensor, any other opinions?

supernaught
07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
btw most cars will idle high(maybe not that high) for the first while to get the engine temp up for optimum conditions. Generally, after the temp passes the blue mark, the computer will change the idle and air/fuel ratio.

For the Diff/getting stuck issue, buy an IX and that will never happen again.

Can you explain more what you mean by it grabbing, then losing it? Do you mean on loose snow one wheel would spin constantly and not grab on either side... or do you mean that it felt like the car would not move under power at all?

What Diff do you have in the car?

IX FTW

everlast
07-16-2008, 09:27 AM
No, it shouldn't rev any higher at start up cold than warm in these temps. In winter, it will be a few hundred above normal idle if the temps are below 0.

Is this an 'i' or an 'e'? The 'e' has a cold start injector that might be malfunctioning, but very unlikely. Test these things first, then go from there.

e30lov
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
its an i, and as for the explanation... its almost like the clutch is slipping, but then you can feel the rear end grab and then it starts slipping again. I know its not my clutch.. because this is the same thing that happend last year and i switched diffs and it went away till i got stuck this year...

everlast
07-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Can you describe what happened when you got 'stuck'?

e30lov
07-17-2008, 01:01 AM
well i got stuck in the snow, so i had someone floor it while i rocked the car side to side to get traction

supernaught
07-17-2008, 09:48 AM
flooring one wheel might not be the best way to get out of the snow.
Might be an idea to keep a small shovel and a bucket of salt/sand in your trunk if you are thinking of getting stuck again. Or a hand winch and 60ft of chain

buy a new diff, garage the e30, buy a 4x4 for the winter, get to work on time.

IX FTW

everlast
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Or snow tires.

In any case, it really depends how long you were 'flooring' it for.. Flooring it never helps get you unstuck, and risks burning out your diff, which has likely happened. Best bet it to find another diff and swap it out again. Try flushing the fluid first though and see if it helps.

When you're stuck, give it just enough gas to get the wheels to *just* move, you'll have more success.

e30lov
07-18-2008, 12:07 AM
i just bought a diff and swapped it in tonight, took me like 4 hours.. but i had lots of beer... anyway i forgot to balance the driveshaft and now it vibrates a little bit.. i can deal with it. Other then that i drove it for like 5 hours today and all seems well!

thanks again for the input