PDA

View Full Version : Mann oil filters

BSL
07-10-2008, 05:24 PM
After doing a bit of research, I decided to start using Mann filters for my ride...
Since there are no BMW dealers real close to me, I ordered a few filters online.
Ordered yesterday, and received 4 filters TODAY, for $46, tax in!
I swear this isn't some shameless plug, I just wanted to share a good experience*th-up*
http://www.autopartsway.ca

vadim321go
07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
welcome to the forums :) autopartsway is a great site! they are based out of etobicoke i think and delivery usually takes all of 24hrs from when you place hte order. iv ordered tons of stuff from them.

DriveItSideways
07-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I carry MANN filters aswell, I dont see anything special about them at all. Infact I much prefer Fram.

propr'one
07-10-2008, 06:10 PM
^^really? i usually try to stick to mann or mahle filters, mostly because the markup on fram filters in most places is rediculous (air filter, fram, for my 328 from partsource is 48$. autopartway Mann is 14$, fram is 16$.

NOTORIOUS VR
07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
As long as the parts aren't from Meyle you're alright.

DriveItSideways
07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
^^really? i usually try to stick to mann or mahle filters, mostly because the markup on fram filters in most places is rediculous (air filter, fram, for my 328 from partsource is 48$. autopartway Mann is 14$, fram is 16$.

Mann filters definetly get the job done, I usually only use them on the euro's. Fram has a little bit more competitive pricing with the N/A cars but still are a bit more $. I prefer them mainly because I like working with them, the seals never stay stuck on the engine block, and the grip you get on them really helps on those cars that are a bitch to reach the filter.

archrival
07-10-2008, 10:09 PM
I have been using Mann filters too..same as BSL I live in Peterborough. We do have a shop that serviced euro cars that sells them usually for 10-15$ which i consider affordable considering a WIX is at least $20 with my tech pricing.

E30M42cab
07-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I use Mann oil filters on all my BMWs... I pay $14.25/each for the 318i (M42), $12.25 for the 525i (M50), and $9.50 for the old 325i (M20). I used Wix for a bit... but I don't really remember any significant price difference.

woofster
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
I typically use Mann or Mahle oil filters for both my Audi and BMW. Price-wise, they're comparable to any other manufacturer and they definitely get the job done.

e30jones
07-11-2008, 06:15 PM
There is an oil filter test floating out there somewhere that compares many of the major brands of oil filters. IIRC, fram was one of the worst ones, mahle and mann were some of the best filters tested.

EDIT: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/german.html

Dado 540
07-12-2008, 04:45 AM
so whats better in regards to the air intake filter

Mann Or K&N

bmwm5lover
07-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't use a Fram if my life depended on it. That's what all the cheap/shady shops that use Pennzoil oil use too(go figure).

In my Old Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L, when I ran Fram(twice, and before I new better) my oil pressure was almost NON existant, then, even a simple switch to a regular 5$ PS oil filter made that problem go away permanently(although I mostly used KN filters, like I do for my RR, they are 15-25$ a pop though).

On my M5, I;ve used the OEM BMW, and just switched to the Mann(or was it Mahle? the one with the green/yellow) and see no reason to spend nearly double (10$ VS 22$) for the BMW one.

bmwm5lover
07-12-2008, 08:55 AM
so whats better in regards to the air intake filter

Mann Or K&N

You are oppening a whole can of worms there lad.

This debate(paper vs OIL) could go on and on till the cows come home.

There are cases of guys who put an oil vilter, and within a week loose their AFM/MAF. Me, I've always had KN filters on my rides and never had a problem with that happening, well once, on the RR, but that prolly had to do with the fact it is constantly exposed to water from off-roading.

DriveItSideways
07-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't use a Fram if my life depended on it. That's what all the cheap/shady shops that use Pennzoil oil use too(go figure).

In my Old Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L, when I ran Fram(twice, and before I new better) my oil pressure was almost NON existant, then, even a simple switch to a regular 5$ PS oil filter made that problem go away permanently(although I mostly used KN filters, like I do for my RR, they are 15-25$ a pop though).

On my M5, I;ve used the OEM BMW, and just switched to the Mann(or was it Mahle? the one with the green/yellow) and see no reason to spend nearly double (10$ VS 22$) for the BMW one.

Your basing your opinion off of one car, one situation. Maybe in your case it didnt work, but I can tell you the honest truth that Fram is a good product, I wouldnt use it on my personal cars if I thought otherwise.
I do 15-20 oil changes a week and Fram has been getting the job done time and time again with no come backs.

It comes down to personal prefrence, but I agree with everyone here that for the european cars MANN is definetly the way to go.

bmwm5lover
07-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Your basing your opinion off of one car, one situation. Maybe in your case it didnt work, but I can tell you the honest truth that Fram is a good product, I wouldnt use it on my personal cars if I thought otherwise.
I do 15-20 oil changes a week and Fram has been getting the job done time and time again with no come backs.

It comes down to personal prefrence, but I agree with everyone here that for the european cars MANN is definetly the way to go.

I wouldn't normally reply to anything you say, however, it is not just my opinion, look at the site with the tests on it.

It makes sense that as a shop you would use them since you probably get a huge discount on them(they are cheap as it is).

BSL
07-12-2008, 11:34 AM
I ALWAYS prefer a factory filter for any of my bikes, cars and trucks that Ive owned. If a factory one wasnt readily available, a Fram would take its place... until I did a bit of reading on the subject.

I guess I was just a sucker for media hype or glitzy posters :( but either way, Ill never use another Fram on any of my vehicles.

FWIW- the fram didnt even fit right, in the cartridge holder on my E46!

bmwmmn
07-12-2008, 02:26 PM
I've been using KN oil filters for 5 years and NO regrets at all. I have a source where I get them a way bellow price what you gonna see in regular stores. As of now, six brand new ones are sitting in my garage.
I took an opportunity a years ago and did some research on these and you would be surprised what is on the market. On that note, I have to agree with bmwm5lover and BSL on their comments.
It is a touchy subject; that is why there is something for everybody to make their own decisions.