PDA

View Full Version : Performance Chips - Real Power or All In Your Head?

djcontra
02-14-2002, 09:37 AM
I just have a few questions about performance chips

a) Can we buy them here in toronto?
b) if we get them from the states, will they work with our cars?
(i'm not sure if ours are exactly like theirs emission wise and so
on)
c) Do they really work? Or is it something that is so minimal it was
a waste of $200?
d) What are some of your user opinions? Do you have one and
what did you think about it?
e) lastly, how do auto tranny chip upgrades work?

thanks

Bliss
02-14-2002, 01:25 PM
Well first of all it all depends on the chip and the car it's going in. The chip is reprograms the comp to put a different air/fuel mixture, and some to increase the rev limiter, and the governer. I know for the E46 325 cars, they don't have chips for the car that add hp. They only have them to take out the governer, and increase the rev limiter, which imo isn't worth the money.
Although for other cars, some chips work wonders, and makes a large difference in hp gain. I would see what they claim the chip does before buying it.

Lil'Smoothie
02-14-2002, 03:33 PM
my chip is for my e30 325is, its a dinan and claims 15hp/15lb torque, I havent installed it yet but will keep you posted as to the change in power

Gamite
02-14-2002, 04:33 PM
The chip for my car claims a whopping 41hp and 22 torque. I have yet to purchase one though.

Dirtyman
02-14-2002, 05:46 PM
I have a Turner Motorsport chip in my E30 325i. says its good for 15hp. But this all depends on what condition yer engines' in, including all the sensors and stuff operating it. After an engine rebuild and sensor replacements, I was flyin a lot faster. (even chirped on 3rd!!)

braindamage
02-14-2002, 08:18 PM
When you look at the HP increase from the ad. You have to find out if they mean peak HP gain or overall HP gain. Example: An car with peak HP of 200@6,500rpm. The chip may increase only 5HP@6,500rpm but +20HP@4,000rpm. Long story short, is where in the RPM range that it increase counts! Same goes with torque increase. If it is not in the usable range, who cares about how much the increase is.

djcontra
02-14-2002, 11:26 PM
Gamite: If you get the chip, let me take a cruise with you before and after the install, i gotta see this =)

mike125k
02-14-2002, 11:59 PM
you can really get alot more power with chips, but only if you change the right things. most chips just alter the fuel maps, which will add a little more hp and use more gas. you can get more power by increasing the spark advance, but this is tricky and you have to be careful not to start preigniting. thats why most chips dont mess with spark curves, they dont want to be held responsible if someone blows a piston because they were preigniting and they didnt know it. i think when people put in aftermarket chips the performance increase is mostly in their head.

330DTM
02-15-2002, 12:43 AM
In my case, I'm toying around with a CRAPPY Ractive cone intake w/built in heatshield that a friend of mine gave me as a gift. I was laughing my head off, but the sound is apparent no doubt.

Only the sound tries to trick one's mind that you're actaully pulling. Therefore my car still feels the same if not maybe a tad slower. HAHA. Plus I don't always drive my car hard so the difference isn't really there to be felt.

Yupyup, I still have it on b/c I love the sound inline-6 engines + cone intakes, but I may take it off and put the stock airbox back on when the weather gets warmer :P

KIRASIR
02-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Here is my $0.02 on this subject. This is based on the information I collected from various forums, and mailing lists.

Jim Conforti's chips are the best, and they really do add HP and torque, mostly by remapping fuel maps to use higher octane, and playing arround with timing. I don't think I've seen anybody on any of the bmw forums bashing his chips. Of course you have to have OBD-I to install them, or be prepared to shell out ~400bucks on the Shark Injector. The thing about OBD-II is that one day you can have 130HP, and next day under the same identical conditions you would have 125HP. Adaptation is a bitch.
Other things like intake, headers, pulleys definitely help but one thing that people often forget or neglect is if intake gives 5HP, pulley 15HP, headers 10HP. Then all of them together will NOT give you 30HP. Same applies to the chip.

www.turnermotorsport.com sells his chips for I think about 250US
SL