PDA

View Full Version : Can someone clarify crank vs accessory pulleys?

maroli
07-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I understand that underdriving the crank pulley underdrives all the other accessories so my question is, would you get a crank pulley in addition to the accessory pulleys? Or will getting the two together yield no hp gain? Finally, is the crank pulley dangerous even if you don't hve a lightened flywheel? Thanks guys.

Bliss
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Generally you would get one or the other. Either get the underdrive accessory pulley kit (water pump, power steering, and/or alternator), or you can go with the crank pulley. All this does is slow down the rate your accessories run at, and spare you the little hp that the accessories were using up.

Both ways are not dangerous at all, but if you have a crazy sound system, then you dont want to underdrive your alternator pulley.

Also don't expect to feel any difference from them.:)

maroli
07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
well, its hard to feel 5 hp seat of pants, but its there! :)

Axxe
07-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Crank under drive is dangerous because it replaces the harmonic balancer. Some people feel that on an I-6, you can cause serious bottom end damage without it.

Bliss
07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Crank under drive is dangerous because it replaces the harmonic balancer. Some people feel that on an I-6, you can cause serious bottom end damage without it.

I wouldn't call it "dangerous". It's probably as dangerous as adding a CAI. Many mods are "dangerous" to a certain extent to different degrees. Vibration can also occur due to the lack of a harmonic balancer which can cause bearing wear.

You can get as technical as you want with any mod you decide to do to your car. Imo i wouldnt worry about it, but i would and did go with the UUC accessory pulley kit. Cheap and easy off/on application.

maroli
07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
hmmm, but wouldn't one gain as much, if not more hp by just doing the crank pulley?

Axxe
07-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Vibration can also occur due to the lack of a harmonic balancer which can cause bearing wear.

That's what I'm talking about. Either way, the pulleys that go right on the accessory are safer.

328is
07-10-2008, 07:08 AM
i have the pulley kit from turner and i feel more gain with this mod than with the shark injector ! And for half the price also.